test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strafe and Combat Animation...

vaelfearvaelfear Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi all,

I would like to bring up a small gripe that hopefully can be changed.

I have become increasingly aggravated with a mechanic that exists in game. When in combat, if you attempt to strafe or otherwise move at all in order to get out of red circles, avoid a cleave, etc. Your current combat animation must complete before your movement begins, this is frustrating because it doesn't allow for quick reaction. I regularly get caught in the cleave or ground damage, not due to slow response, but because of this delay in movement caused by attack animations having to complete before my character will respond to the move command.

Anyone else feel this needs correcting?
Post edited by vaelfear on

Comments

• idrisidris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    use your class base dodge cancel out your current animation.
  • vaelfearvaelfear Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm a Guardian Fighter, which class base dodge are you referring to?
  • samanthyasamanthya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited May 2013
    You're a GF, just block....
  • valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaelfear wrote: »
    Hi all,

I would like to bring up a small gripe that hopefully can be changed.

I have become increasingly aggravated with a mechanic that exists in game. When in combat, if you attempt to strafe or otherwise move at all in order to get out of red circles, avoid a cleave, etc. Your current combat animation must complete before your movement begins, this is frustrating because it doesn't allow for quick reaction. I regularly get caught in the cleave or ground damage, not due to slow response, but because of this delay in movement caused by attack animations having to complete before my character will respond to the move command.

Anyone else feel this needs correcting?
    I know they CAN change this to allow movement when using abilities.

Though after watching a video where the designer said they will be sticking with this because the attacks feel heavier.
    it broke my heart.

The pvp IMAGINE THE PVP, if one were to move with the fluidness of this awesome combat. Kiting all day on my CW.

Wonder how they'll tackle the archer class "king of kiting" with their rooted combat design decisions.
  • vaelfearvaelfear Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Blocking does not always prevent this, and certainly when I'm out of stamina it doesn't prevent this. I appreciate the suggestions, but I feel you're missing the point.
  • zagith312zagith312 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaelfear wrote: »
    I'm a Guardian Fighter, which class base dodge are you referring to?
    I'm pretty sure a GF can block 'anything'. Just the other day I jumped onto a trap and got into blocking stance before it could trigger. Blocked it. What trap was it? Spikes coming up out of the floor. Didn't make any sense but it was funny. The combat is supposed to make you sit in place, and honestly if they changed it so you just spammed attacks while running around the combat would just be boringly floaty, like a bad wowclone where I had to aim my attacks but they had absolutely no weight behind them.
  • bojangl3sbojangl3s Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The animations do feel very rigid.

They should add a simple (optional) binding for "cancel animation" or "stop". Like in DotA. So if all you want to do is stop your cast animation and move backwards 1 step, you can, as opposed to blowing stamina on moving 4 feet.

Cancelling animations would add depth to PvP, and make healing easier for clerics in PvE/PvP as Holy Priests/Pallies would cancel their big heals in WoW. It wouldn't detract from the game and just be a way for players to diversify their skills at higher skill levels.
  • rifiellrifiell Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I feel your pain. I'm also a GF and sometimes I'll be in the middle of an attack animation and it doesn't let me block. I then proceed to get murked by a super ultra attack. Very annoying. I wish blocking cancelled out whatever move you're currently using.
  • emaloreemalore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    The inability to move while an attack animation is playing is 100% intended. It adds weight and strategy to the combat system. Instead of hitting a button and watching your character play through a scripted mini-movie of your attack, you commit to each action, with every chance that you will take damage while the animation plays.

It is much like playing a fighting game, you can start out just mashing buttons and beat the easier AI opponents, but if you want to win the tougher fights you have to learn which button does what.