test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is command for lock on target?

kamykerkamyker Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I want to bind mouse button to lock on target (/bind <ButtonToPress> <Command>)

So anyone know how lock on target is called?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    erppmanerppman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure what it is "called" in the bindings.

but the default bind key is "CTRL"

Suppose you could just scroll through and look for whatever is bound to CTRL
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    There's no option for that in menu.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    You can not tab target or auto lock. That defeats the "Action Combat."

You can, however, hold ctrl to lock lock on to a target as long as you hold the ctrl key.
    I don't think it can be rebound at this time though.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What were the DEV's thinking when they made this 'hidden' key bind?

HOnestly, it's like none of them ever played an MMO of their own in their life. ctrl is commonly used as the PTT key for outside VOIPs. And while they have their own built in VOIP, it still does not ignore the fact that ctrl is often (commonly, but not applicable to everyone) is the PTT. Why would they put such a feature in that spot? It was so frustrating that I bound ctrl to an empty space and then unbound that command.

Might have solved my problem, but makes me scratch my head and go: "WHY???????????"
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Complaining that a keybind is a 'universal' ptt is stupid. You use it. Many people do not. Also, I would suspect very few people use (lock on targetting) ctrl, because there is an autotarget when you are facing an enemy that is close enough to you. Keep issues you have ith the game personal; saying it's widespread is often incorrect.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Locking on target is very important in PvP when all ppl dodge back or run to attack me and i want to target "paper-dps" player. I'm using OLIP rather then WSAD so there is noway to click left Ctrl for me.
  • Options
    chintaechintae Member Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »
    Complaining that a keybind is a 'universal' ptt is stupid. You use it. Many people do not. Also, I would suspect very few people use (lock on targetting) ctrl, because there is an autotarget when you are facing an enemy that is close enough to you. Keep issues you have ith the game personal; saying it's widespread is often incorrect.

I did commonly, and also expressed that it wasn't everyone.

L2Read
  • Options
    l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't lock on I just Aim and let er Riiip! Hence the reticule in the center of the screen.
  • Options
    tevaxtevax Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    someoneod wrote: »

no its not stupid, the reason people can easily go from game to game is because most games follow a general rule or control scheme.

and PTT in my 900+ member guild (we are spread across multiple games) that im a top officer in is usually bound to Left Control. (PTT comes up allot in meetings actually).
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I found /follow command :D, just look at someone and type that.
  • Options
    bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tevax wrote: »
    no its not stupid, the reason people can easily go from game to game is because most games follow a general rule or control scheme.

and PTT in my 900+ member guild (we are spread across multiple games) that im a top officer in is usually bound to Left Control. (PTT comes up allot in meetings actually).

So rebind your external PTT key. You even say "usually bound" indicating that it's not always.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    im actually one of the odd ones out, i use my side mouse buttons. i used to use left control years ago.

now my poor clan members are all having to rebind, im trying to get them used to the side mouse buttons.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    side mouse buttons
    These sucks in fps games :(

BUT It's great idea (for me) to bind here Ctrl for Lock on Target :).

Thanks
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought it was general practice to use Right Alt button for VOIP. I know I've been doing it since I started using VOIP, so everyone else has to be doing it wrong, right? /sarcasm.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013

And voice chat has been used in shooters since its inception, and almost all of them use left control for Crouch. I don't know anybody in my 3,100+ member gaming community that's attempted to claim this is universal; I only know one who's even run into it, or at least complained. And I'm Social Media Manager so I read every thread.

It's common in your large group; check.

It's annoying that it's hard to rebind; check.

Cryptic should have known it would conflict with your group's needs, based on some supposed standard? Double-plus uncheck. That's ridiculous. I hope they give you a solution, but come on; this isn't a standards failure on their part, it's an unwarranted assumption on yours and a feature request.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    And voice chat has been used in shooters since its inception, and almost all of them use left control for Crouch. I don't know anybody in my 3,100+ member gaming community that's attempted to claim this is universal; I only know one who's even run into it, or at least complained. And I'm Social Media Manager so I read every thread.

It's common in your large group; check.

It's annoying that it's hard to rebind; check.

Cryptic should have known it would conflict with your group's needs, based on some supposed standard? Double-plus uncheck. That's ridiculous. I hope they give you a solution, but come on; this isn't a standards failure on their part, it's an unwarranted assumption on yours and a feature request.

Lol its not unique to my group and if you are who you say you are you would know that. if a broad poll across multiple gaming sites was done i would bet left control would be at the very top. However!...in fast Fps its wise to use voice activation. that exra milisecond of time it takes to think about using ptt can get you killed in high level games. and as you said its almost always used to crouch in fps games.... wait isnt that the point im making about PTT in RPG's ... having some standards? across games? you just reinforced my point .
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    its almost always used to crouch in fps games
    Some pros are using Space for crouching and Lctrl for voice.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    kamyker wrote: »
    Some pros are using Space for crouching and Lctrl for voice.

oh god that would mess me up bad! almost 20 years of space bar jumping id loose my mind.
  • Options
    delgatto42delgatto42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    chintae wrote: »
    What were the DEV's thinking when they made this 'hidden' key bind?

HOnestly, it's like none of them ever played an MMO of their own in their life. ctrl is commonly used as the PTT key for outside VOIPs. And while they have their own built in VOIP, it still does not ignore the fact that ctrl is often (commonly, but not applicable to everyone) is the PTT. Why would they put such a feature in that spot? It was so frustrating that I bound ctrl to an empty space and then unbound that command.

Might have solved my problem, but makes me scratch my head and go: "WHY???????????"

or get a real voip service that can set auto detection of talking, like mumble. Mumble is good about being able to set it so it doesn't pick up your tv, but does detect when you are talking. guess what, its hands free and has lower latency. Now you can use your ctrl button for something helpful in a game, rather than waste a good keyboard location on chatting with a buncha dudes.
    When he gets to Heaven To Saint Peter he will say, "Hand me 4d6. Lets roll the dice and play!"
  • Options
    necrofobicnecrofobic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    make ctrl sticky , problem solved ;)
  • Options
    necrodaggernecrodagger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Holding the "Left Ctrl" will lock your target
  • Options
    pezizgoodpezizgood Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    Please remove this mechanic. It's pretty dumb. If you don't believe me, walk up as close as you possibly can to a human size target, auto lock, and then hold forward and strafe at the same time. You will spin around them like 3 times per second. Throw in an attack every half spin and you can backstab in your sleep.