test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How do I make doors interactable?

rinnyrinny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Heh, this might be a stupid questions, but it's been buggering me. I played Hidden Blade recently and in his/her quest you could interact with every single door and pass through them with specific skills, you could knock and listen and have nothing happen, etc etc. When I right click my type of doors, there's no dialogue options, no interactable options. What am I doing wrong? :C Am I blind or something?

Another thing. Is there a way to make an item/object interactable once? I'm trying to make some sort of dialogue end exploration-based quest where you have to interact with objects to check them out, but I'd like for the objects to be non-interactable after you've clicked with them once, so I don't have a gigantic house full of glittering objects. Anyone? :o
Post edited by rinny on

Comments

• ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. the doors should be doors you place from the details tab. Basically they are just like any object, (walls, boxes, etc) but they have the artwork of a door. Place the door where you want it, then when you right click it you will have the regular options of interactable, etc. You'll probably have to move the door into place in the 3d editor to get it placed correctly

2. Under visibility for the item you want interactable once, just set the visible options. Component complete for disappears and the selection being "This Component". (this is only available once you make it interactable I believe)
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • rinnyrinny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think I tried your second suggestion there (thank you for clearing up 1. up for me, the "automatic" doors are the ones I've used to sfar), but that caused the item to despawn entirely, which basically left a completely empty room after I was done investigating it. I don't want that either, I just want it to stop glowing after I've interacted with it once.
  • ellindar1ellindar1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hmmm, mine leaves the item there just not interactable. For instance in my quest you have to pick a bell or candle and as soon as you do you interact with it, the glow goes away but you can still see the object there. I don't BELIEVE this is because my items actually give the players an item, but I suppose it could be a result of that. I would have to test further.
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • rinnyrinny Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll try again now, haven't been online a while. Might be just me that missed something. I'll edit my post in a short while.

Edit: Ah, here's the kicker. I guess I didn't explain myself thoroughly when I stated "interactable". What I pictured in my mind was being able to click it and get some sort of text box saying there's nothing special to be found on the item and that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the quest. But that's under "contact". Interaction is more related to checking stuff for items, etc, and not text related. If I put interaction, the object stays and the glow disappear. I'd wish for the same thing to happen if I put enabled contact with it though. I guess that's not possible?
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ignore all the foolish advice above. Since I'm the author of A Hidden Blade, I find myself uniquely qualified to answer this question. ;)

The doors in the inn are ordinary doors attached in the normal way. Don't use the detail doors, that's just a lot of unneeded work. What I did was to place an invisible wall in front of each door, and then made each of these walls into a contact with dialogue. For any situation in which I wanted to "unlock" the door, what I actually did was to make the invisible wall disappear, giving the player access to the door behind it. The door itself has no idea that anything is out of the ordinary. It's the invisible wall that contains all the logic.
    edited May 2013
    Which works unless the special doorway you're attaching is simply creating an open archway in which case of course that all would look silly (or should I say foolish). :P
    Halls_Sig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    *not to mention if you'd like to put a door somewhere there can't actually be a door but you want to simulate one there...
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • kyriduskyridus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ellindar1 wrote: »
    hmmm, mine leaves the item there just not interactable. For instance in my quest you have to pick a bell or candle and as soon as you do you interact with it, the glow goes away but you can still see the object there. I don't BELIEVE this is because my items actually give the players an item, but I suppose it could be a result of that. I would have to test further.

Heya, slightly off topic but my wife & I played through yours earlier, I did receive a bell in my inventory after choosing it in the witches cave (if that's what you mean?). Unless I'm misunderstanding you and then this is of no use. Good adventure by the way, we enjoyed it - but that final bit... man, I think you *really* wanted people to see that death room ;)
    'Cullwood Outpost' NW-DC4BNASDA
    edited May 2013
    Got another question, have an idea I can't really make to work and I'm pretty sure it's possible.

The player is in a hallway leading to four rooms/four doors. After doing this and that and talking to the quest giver, suddenly a fifth door is to appear, leading to a fifth room. I don't want this room to visible in any way; no gateway, no arch, no closed door, just a wall, nothign else there, until it's "unlocked" by a dialogue component. Is this possible? Any ideas?
    edited May 2013
    kyridus wrote: »
    Heya, slightly off topic but my wife & I played through yours earlier, I did receive a bell in my inventory after choosing it in the witches cave (if that's what you mean?). Unless I'm misunderstanding you and then this is of no use. Good adventure by the way, we enjoyed it - but that final bit... man, I think you *really* wanted people to see that death room ;)

Don't want to hijack his thread but thanks so much! The thread for my campaign is here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?191711-UGC-The-Halls-of-the-Forgotten-New-Epic-Campaign!
    Halls_Sig.jpg
    edited May 2013
    rinny wrote: »
    Got another question, have an idea I can't really make to work and I'm pretty sure it's possible.

The player is in a hallway leading to four rooms/four doors. After doing this and that and talking to the quest giver, suddenly a fifth door is to appear, leading to a fifth room. I don't want this room to visible in any way; no gateway, no arch, no closed door, just a wall, nothign else there, until it's "unlocked" by a dialogue component. Is this possible? Any ideas?

Sure, just put a wall up right there in front of the actual wall that has the door leading into the room. So the wall you add is covering that wall and therefore they don't know its there. Then click the wall and in its visibility have disappear when dialog prompt is reached
    Halls_Sig.jpg
  • sherardpsherardp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I suggest you create wall if at all possible. To cover it up. Then when they accomplish the task make the wall invisible.
  • palelonginuspalelonginus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I tried to use invisible walls. Even though I set item requirement, and set disappear condition to 'this component complete' it lets to interact without the required item and the wall disappears. I don't get this, what is the point of item requirements for interaction if I cant link thing to them?
    edited May 2013
    I can't really find a wall that looks similiar. Is there any special trick to it? :( Meh, this foundry stuff is hard. I'm using a standard tavern-map and then the associated hallways. The one in particular here is the straight forward, long one. I'm gonna place the hidden door in the end of it. But I can't really find a wall that makes it look natural.
    edited May 2013
    I tried to use invisible walls. Even though I set item requirement, and set disappear condition to 'this component complete' it lets to interact without the required item and the wall disappears. I don't get this, what is the point of item requirements for interaction if I cant link thing to them?

Why are you using "this component complete" for an invisible wall? Do you even know what that means? Speaking of which, I have no idea what you mean. What is it you're trying to accomplish, exactly?
  • arcinetharcineth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Ignore all the foolish advice above. Since I'm the author of A Hidden Blade, I find myself uniquely qualified to answer this question. ;)

The doors in the inn are ordinary doors attached in the normal way. Don't use the detail doors, that's just a lot of unneeded work. What I did was to place an invisible wall in front of each door, and then made each of these walls into a contact with dialogue. For any situation in which I wanted to "unlock" the door, what I actually did was to make the invisible wall disappear, giving the player access to the door behind it. The door itself has no idea that anything is out of the ordinary. It's the invisible wall that contains all the logic.

I'm going to shamelessly steal this trick.
    edited May 2013
    tilt42 wrote: »
    Why are you using "this component complete" for an invisible wall? Do you even know what that means? Speaking of which, I have no idea what you mean. What is it you're trying to accomplish, exactly?

I thought I did understood it, but apparently I don't. I try to have an invisible wall in front of regular door disappear once it has been interacted with a key.
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I don't think I can help you with that one. I always do this kind of thing through dialogue since I like to be verbose and describe events in detail. What I can tell you, for your solution, is that you at least need to make sure the invisible wall is not marked as a contact, and that it is marked as interactable. With those two in place, "this component complete" should work.
    edited May 2013
    Okay, problem solved. Turned out that I was an idiot. I did not realise that the key remained in my inventory from previous testing runs, so I actually had it when I thought I didn't...
  • herumetherumet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread to ask a question, but for some reason I am on probationary period and cannot create a new thread.
    My questions has to do with doors... specifically, I created a custom room for my quest and I can't use the exit I placed to have the character exit the room into the next map (protector's enclave). Tried everything I could think of, but it just won't let me click on the door to exit that room...
    edit: Now it works, all I did was add another room connected by a door somewhere else in this room. Seems like the map needs more than one choice for an exit door before it accepts it...
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    herumet wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hijack this thread to ask a question, but for some reason I am on probationary period and cannot create a new thread.
    My questions has to do with doors... specifically, I created a custom room for my quest and I can't use the exit I placed to have the character exit the room into the next map (protector's enclave). Tried everything I could think of, but it just won't let me click on the door to exit that room...

1) Ensure you put False Door (from Special, not Details) on wall and make it non-interactive
    2) Go to STORY Tab and click TRANSITION after your map
    3) You should find box with list, and when you click it you should get pop-up map. Select your false doors
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the fast reply, forien. I had tried that already. Didn't work. Also, how can I make it that the player exits the room into the map from the point where he entered (i.e. the same door in the Enclave)?
  • forien69forien69 Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He will in real game, in Foundry preview map player always go to respawn point.

If doors don't work, try showing us your settings window for doors, transition etc.
    edited May 2013
    Just changed my normal door to the special door, and it works now. As soon as I remove any other doors, it doesn't. That seems to have been the problem. Thanks a ton
    edited May 2013
    Hey,

this is the door I'm talking about that I want removed. I really can't find a wall that would make this look natural. Am I seriously blind or looking in the wrong section? I want it to be like "impossible" to even think that there's a door there, so I don't want to hide it behind a wall that looks out of place or a book shelf or something. Any suggestions?
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey,

this is the door I'm talking about that I want removed. I really can't find a wall that would make this look natural. Am I seriously blind or looking in the wrong section? I want it to be like "impossible" to even think that there's a door there, so I don't want to hide it behind a wall that looks out of place or a book shelf or something. Any suggestions?

There are no walls in the Foundry that look like the walls in the premade inn. If you wanted to do that, you'd have to make an inn yourself from basic walls/rooms and building blocks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Meh. That sucks. Oh well, thanks. Guess I'll just hide it behind something else then.
  • kadzerothkadzeroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You can place a wall in the "doorway" and set it to be visible until the dialogue is complete, then set it to invisible. I had that going for a while in mine until I got frustrated with encounters not displaying right in one of the rooms and changed it.