test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Zone Chat Spam Getting Out Of Control

elitexenoelitexeno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Could you please add a level requirement to use zone chat? Maybe level 10 or something. Could you also please add a timer to chat again in zone after the first. Maybe make us wait 30 seconds before being able to chat in zone again? With the recent influx of gold spammers and just plain annoying trolls...:(
Post edited by elitexeno on

Comments

• tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just end up reporting the gold spam, it's the trolls and lazy people that make it unbearable to me. That could be fixed by having two other channels, one a global where the trolls and spammers would go, and a help channel, that might help, but who knows if they would actually use it. :P
  • buffbc1buffbc1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13
    edited May 2013
    I actually went in and created several new chat windows, and just added the stuff I want to see (game info, tells etc) and it cuts down on the spam completely. I am not really one to "chat" other than the occasional zone question I answer, so filtering out the rest was the best option for me.
  • inexistinexist Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know the feeling. If there is an ignore list cap, I'm going to hit it real fast..
  • oddvardoddvard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just turn off zone chat..makes my live way more bearable...
  • nankuraznankuraz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i dont get what everybody is complaining about, it's like nobody has ever played an mmo in your life, in every single game there is a chat channel, zone, main, or something that is used as a gathering for chat, trolls, and group spam. its unavoidable, even if they made 2 new channels, you would still see it

Simply edit your chat channels and create your own channels, or choose to not view specific channels unless you need to and stop having a cry
  • ungodlywarlockungodlywarlock Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oddvard wrote: »
    I just turn off zone chat..makes my live way more bearable...

This would be fine except a lot of us actually enjoy chatting in the game in the zones where it isn't pure chaos. This is why I like MMORPGs. The sense of community and helping people if they are struggling with something (if it's reasonable and not basic stuff that anyone would know if they just spent 15 seconds looking around their UI).

Of course there will always be trolls, stupid questions, and spammers. But when it's all lumped into one channel, it makes it impossible to sort through.

It's pretty easy to fix.

Trade.
    General.
    LFG.

...and if you want to get real crazy.

Help.
  • xelsolxelsol Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just saw someone spam the same line around 10 times in a row in like 2 seconds. How does this game not have flood prevention? That's basic in nearly any chat, mmo or not. This really, really needs to be fixed.

In my opinion, put a timer. Everyone gets 2 lines, then they have to wait 5 seconds for the next. Unless you're spamming or typing very, very fast, it wouldn't bother normal players. That would only slow them down, but it's a start. Another option: Don't allow copies of the same line until a certain amount of time has passed, like 10 seconds or so. But that can be worked around, as well.

If you want a trade channel that gets used, don't allow players to link items in /zone, only /trade, /guild, /party, and /tell.

You can cut back on the LFG and LFM messages in /zone by improving your Find Party option. Right now it's just not very good. It doesn't tell you what the level range of the party is, the class/type of member(s) they're looking for, what quest/dungeon they're doing, or really anything other than the leader name and the instance they're in. Find Guild has all sorts of nice filters to narrow down what you're looking for, spread that love to Find Party. Find Person could be expanded to include players looking for a party for a particular quest/dungeon, so established parties that are LFM can just filter for the class/level/quest/dungeon they need.

Anyways, just a few suggestions to help untangle that mess you call a chat.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    elitexeno wrote: »
    Maybe make us wait 30 seconds before being able to chat in zone again?

Heck no.

/10chars
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nankuraz wrote: »
    i dont get what everybody is complaining about, it's like nobody has ever played an mmo in your life, in every single game there is a chat channel, zone, main, or something that is used as a gathering for chat, trolls, and group spam. its unavoidable, even if they made 2 new channels, you would still see it

Simply edit your chat channels and create your own channels, or choose to not view specific channels unless you need to and stop having a cry

How many Kleenex were killed to write this post? Isn't crying about crying the same thing, really?
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • scruffycavetrollscruffycavetroll Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    LOL!!!

my first day of playing I kept seeing

[ZONE]........

didn't realize right away that it meant the zone I was in, i kept trying to ban this player ZONE as all i saw was him filling up the chat.

then I read a little more, and saw the players name after that. I laughed.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    could probably be fixed by having...

- LFG channel
    - Help channel
    - General Channel
    - Trade Channel
    - RP channel

Like any and every other game
    edited May 2013
    could probably be fixed by having...

- LFG channel
    - Help channel
    - General Channel
    - Trade Channel
    - RP channel

Like any and every other game

Yes, and no. In one game I have played with this exact set up, the only global channel was the LFG channel, which was spammed with general chat, trolls and trades. My solution to these issues in other games was to simply hit guild/legion chat, and to allow party chat into that channel. Presto, no spammers, no trolls, other than the guild/party trolling each other for laughs variety.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes, and no. In one game I have played with this exact set up, the only global channel was the LFG channel, which was spammed with general chat, trolls and trades. My solution to these issues in other games was to simply hit guild/legion chat, and to allow party chat into that channel. Presto, no spammers, no trolls, other than the guild/party trolling each other for laughs variety.

depends how active your gms are.

people hate getting squelched
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honest question here, since I haven't looked for this feature, but isn't there an "ignore" function? I don't really need it, because I turn of all global/zone chat immediately in games, but for your problem (OP) it might help.
  • valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    will you give me an option to disable chat bubbles already? Too many a-holes that ruin my day.
  • demonfleshdemonflesh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Am I the only one who never even glances at chat? Ive noticed it maybe once got lost in the tiny pink text and just ignored it from there on.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I started 2 custom channels already that I am advertising. Feel free to join or point other players my way.
    edited May 2013
    depends how active your gms are.

people hate getting squelched

Sometimes, however, squelching is the best alternative. It's certainly not worth the headaches. I actually kicked a guy out of my guild for spamming a ton of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> into the Zone equivalent in one game. I didn't want to be associated with it, and him flying my guild's tag made us all look bad.