test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF Defensive Moves?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Is sprinting the only defensive move the GWF has for blocking/dodging attacks?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Back in Beta 3 GWF used alot of Punishing charge to attack mobs and get out of mobs attacks. The Problem with Sprint is that it is the weakest dodge move out of all of them.

First because all other dodge moves move faster than sprint over the short distance they where intended to use (A Full Charge sprint especially with the GWF Str allows you to move farther than a wizards double teleport)
    But because the initial move is slower you still take little hits from sprinting away. This is why you can get Specs to add up to 10% more deflection while sprinting (Which to me is kinda pointless when a Dodge roll is going to get you to safety no matter what)

Second the GWF lacks anything that compares to the control powers like the Wizard, and the control stealth combo powers of the rogues, the Self healing of the cleric and of course the GF's block to avoid damage, hell the GF also has alot more self healing than the GWF. This is the real reason the GWF is performing so Badly. This is an action combat game where avoidance is important and their avoidance move "Sprint" is often used up to chase monsters down, because as a pure melee class with little to no CC they need to use moves to do. Rogues, Wizards and Clerics have ranged attacks GF's have the threat to make sure monsters dont run away from them. GWF has none of that.

Sprint needs to last alot longer like it Did in Beta 3 and GWF need Punishing charge back at low levels. I still think it is sad that this one move means so much to the GWF. It would be better if other moves where buffed to be on par with Punishing charge. Especially Restoring Strikes healing, And also daring shout and come and get it could use a massive defensive and threat buff. So the GWF can have some potential to tank and mitigate damage.
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Do not forget about Unstoppable granting 50% damage reduction at 100% determination, that's nothing to scorn at.
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I never had any problems avoiding damage with sprint. I did not have any problems with moving. The deflect feat on sprint also adds run speed. That along with putting movement rating in every utility enchantment on my gear made me not miss sprint much when it was down. The real issue with the mechanic to me is that when I have to sprint to avoid damage I lose threat. The GWF already needs a lot of love on threat and this is just another thing that needs to change.
  • memorythoughtmemorythought Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Biggest problem I had with sprint is there were times I wanted to sprint out of some enemies and I couldn't because of collision detection. Punishing charge this wasn't a problem at all since it's just a straight lunge and you just keep moving after charging through or you swing around and introduce your foe to a carbon steel suppository.
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    I never had any problems avoiding damage with sprint. I did not have any problems with moving. The deflect feat on sprint also adds run speed. That along with putting movement rating in every utility enchantment on my gear made me not miss sprint much when it was down. The real issue with the mechanic to me is that when I have to sprint to avoid damage I lose threat. The GWF already needs a lot of love on threat and this is just another thing that needs to change.

That really is the problem with sprint though other classes do not need to spec there dodge power for it to be a reliable means of avoiding attacks. Between Beta3 and Beta4 my GWF who did not focus Sprint went from a mobile killing machine to the great potion drinker. Oh and I focused Defense, as you point out the GWF does not jsut need love in the threat area they also need it in damage mitigation. If they are not going to be a class that can avoid attacks then they need to be able to take the hits. This will also help with GWF threat.

Oh Yeah I do know about GWF unstoppable and it's Damage reduction I forced myself to use all the determination moves and reaping strike (poor pittiful reaping strike) just so I could get as much as I could out of Unstoppable and it was not nearly enough. The problem with Unstoppable is that determination is built from taking damage when you do not have a damage resistance buff on. Taking damage after you activate Unstoppable or using any + Determiation moves does nothing to prolong your unstoppable power. Meaning reaping strike is useless whe nyou go unstoppable.
  • neokhanswrathneokhanswrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    uglyduck1 wrote: »
    Is sprinting the only defensive move the GWF has for blocking/dodging attacks?

i find cutting the head off of the enemy an excellent defensive move, if the head is cut off the body dies and stops attacking me.
  • themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    i find cutting the head off of the enemy an excellent defensive move, if the head is cut off the body dies and stops attacking me.

Best defense is a good ol' head chopping?
  • nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

its called slice n dice
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the best defense is a good offense lol.
    21.jpg
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have knock downs that interrupt attacks . They cant damage you till they stand back up .
  • demonfleshdemonflesh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What about using your leap or (I know its a terrible waste) your daily? If you are really trying to avoid dying to the ever stacking mobs those are a couple of options...unless I'm just an idiot which is entirely possible.
  • glraemaglraema Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I found the skill Daring Shout to be very helpful.
    It generates determination for every target hit, but not only in front of you but in a 20' radius around you. Also all targets are marked so they take more damage until they hit you (or for 5-10 seconds) and the best part, you get damage reduction depending on how strong the targets are. If you hit a boss or otherwise strong mob (at least 5 bars or silver frame around healthbar) you get somewhat around 40-50% reduction.
    If you time it correctly you can probably go an entire fight with constant damage reduction of 30-50% or higher.