test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boss Adds

jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So far every boss has had adds spawn around the 3rd mark of the HP.

Why does EVERY boss have adds? We have 11 Elite dungeons with 3 bosses each plus the Skirmish. Every boss spawns adds. This is getting old, really fast.
Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
Post edited by jetah on

Comments

• bcvaporbcvapor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 285 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    If they fixed taunt and agro mechanics that might help. I understand GF taunt is not correct right now and my healer can draw agro through my most damaging rotations with a simple HoT or nothing at all really.

The mechanic is likely around until new dungeons, but it a hassle to do them with ineffective powers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    I'd imagine every boss has adds to make GWFs (theoretically) useful for every one of them. It can tank and AoE down the adds while the GF stays on the boss. Same with control wizards, having stuff to control during boss fights. I have no issue with the adds.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree that agro is broke with guardian but the fact is all 33 bosses have adds. it gets old. I ran the Lv60 skirmish today and guess what I saw at the last boss....

I know it's difficult to create a boss and tune them to be challenging but creating 5 bosses and just copy/paste isn't a way to do it.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

• ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Some times the adds are a bit overwhelming, Lair of the Mad Dragon and Karrundax ( spelling? ) for example.
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • presilkpresilk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Was so Trying to ignore that elephant in the room.

Is getting tiresome.
  • r4injinr4injin Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They just put adds with tons of hp and plenty of aoes to make the encouters look hard but only make its looks wrong.
    The mad dragon last boss is the perfect exemple of what you dont have to do with the player who is lvling up.that fight is just overkill and after all the way to put down that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you end up with a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> gear full of def and hp /clap.
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yep adds and aggro... it can get really tedious fast.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the normal Mad Dragon could be done without adds.

I'm just sad that there aren't any boss mechanics that are unique to a specific boss. Assuming we get 10/20 man Raids, will the bosses have 50 adds out or will we have a challenge with just the boss. I can understand if Tier 1 bosses had adds but when I watch streams of the Tier 3 dungeons and we still have adds, it makes me wonder what I'm really fighting. We fight adds with some type of controller figurehead.

Mad Dragon fight could be tough enough w/o the adds. It could also be done with a few Imp spawns as well.
    The Beholder in the Lv60 Skirmish was the best looking model for a boss, yet it has adds.

• maximumsquidmaximumsquid Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems like every "Boss" fight is just a mosh pit and it seems to be getting worse at higher levels

Just did Throne of Idris or whatever

Boss was interesting, but I was so busy to crowd control mop up that I rarely got to face off wit her
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Theres no higher form of tactics involved in Neverwinter. Everything is just a zerg and nobody communicates at all.

And the socalled "trinity" is probably the weakest ive seen in any mmo so far. Clerics barely heal and Guardians barely tank.

yawn.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps learn the mechanics. GF on the boss and nothing else, the rest of you get the adds, especially off the cleric.
  • uedajiruuedajiru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    complaining much, gf can tank easy, im not 60 yet but i have no trouble holding agro, people just play this game wrong to be fair, they come from wow hoping for something fresh and new, but as soon as mechanics work differently from wow they complain. When i pug on my gf the only time we fail a last boss is becuse the dps is terrible, then im like thats strange, i check peoples gear and they havent even socekted any of there gear...
    With a group that understand basic game mechanics these bosses are delt with rather easy tbh, at lesat in the lvling dungeons, i hve no exp with end game content yet, but i still berlive gf can hold agro at 60. I see so many gf whisper me after runs asking how to hold agrro, somhow berliving that they hve to put every single ability into defence.
  • ccoulterccoulter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pops000 wrote: »
    Perhaps learn the mechanics. GF on the boss and nothing else, the rest of you get the adds, especially off the cleric.

I think that would take a very long time for a GF to finish off a boss. Given the DPS difference between them and, well, everybody else.
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    uedajiru wrote: »
    complaining much, gf can tank easy, im not 60 yet but i have no trouble holding agro, people just play this game wrong to be fair, they come from wow hoping for something fresh and new, but as soon as mechanics work differently from wow they complain. When i pug on my gf the only time we fail a last boss is becuse the dps is terrible, then im like thats strange, i check peoples gear and they havent even socekted any of there gear...
    With a group that understand basic game mechanics these bosses are delt with rather easy tbh, at lesat in the lvling dungeons, i hve no exp with end game content yet, but i still berlive gf can hold agro at 60. I see so many gf whisper me after runs asking how to hold agrro, somhow berliving that they hve to put every single ability into defence.

Dont think they are talking about agro or the content being too hard, i think they are talking about every boss having the same add mechanic.
  • zeruinzeruin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Personally, I enjoy the difficulty the Boss Adds present. Not only does it make me feel useful as a Control Wizard, it does make the Boss fights harder. I appreciate the fact that "Epic" dungeons aren't exactly a walk in the park and do take a certain degree of coordination. If you are having trouble with zerg rushers in dungeons, perhaps you should consider joining an organized guild or making some friends.

FYI, if the Boss Fights didn't have adds, there would seemingly be little no reason to have a group other than 5 TR or whatever to quickly dps down the boss.
  • losabralosabra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you know the game of D&D this is normal, bosses don't fight alone hence the term boss. The main monsters can always summon more help. Its very D&D, maybe if they gave the controllers longer lasting controls and more AOE it might make things a bit better.
  • aeqidonaeqidon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if a mage controls the spawns and keep the 2 mages alive in dragon fight, is there more respawn or you have to keep killing them?
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF , that's our job . And with all the control in this game , fighting one mob is super easy . The adds force the range guys to move also .
    edited May 2013
    This thread isnt about class mechanics. it's about how every boss has adds. Yes, i play with a static group. Yes we have 1 of each class. Yes we use TS. Yes the GF cant hold agro. Yes the GWF can't hold agro. Yes the CW can CC for 2 seconds. Yes I Heal but it isnt effective when I'm doing 40% less healing to myself. Yes we have a Rogue.

Again not about who's tanking or cc'ing or w/e. it's about the boss and their adds. For those of you not 60, watch some videos of elite/epic dungeons.

I want to encounter a boss that has abilities that doesn't involve: aoe knockback, life drain, teleporting, charge, 290 ravage arc. I thought the beholder would be different but all it did was (pick two of the abilities above) and summon adds.

I consider the trash mobs before a boss to be those mobs a boss would have summoned, if we didn't kill them before getting to the boss.

• kejmokejmo Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Looks like someone in the company has a hard fetish for crowdiness, and the bossfights are filled, and i really mean, FILLED with adds. I just finished that mind flayer skirmish...well, i didn't, i have go to to work. But the last boss...100 mind flayers + 1 big add that pulls the whole party inside. Perma CC, perma stun, perma on the floor. Impossible to tank, impossible to taunt, even my lvl15 cleric companion pulls aggro before me.

I really don't know what were they thinking with this mega uber add spawn + aggro system that is not working well.
  • smackzor123smackzor123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yep thats pretty much it Konckdowns/Backs/Adds everywhere kind getting bored. Same mechanics over and over again in every Dungeon
  • oddwin1oddwin1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yup.. not even a hint of a mechanic..

I mean really .. at this point I would be happy with a "Don't hit the boss for 10 seconds" or simple Wow'esq "run away" mechanic.. but nope.. swing sword > rinse > repeat.
  • rakunenrakunen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If bosses had no adds then it would mean Controllers have nothing to do in boss fights, and if there's more than the controller can handle there's extra stuff that means the strikers need to think about when to attack the boss and when to mop up the adds. It also gives them a use for those AoE dailies. If there's more than that and you need 2 or more characters permanently dealing with adds then it's a problem, especially if it's all the bosses who act this way.
  • klixanklixan Member Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree, I hate boss fights! It might be a wonderful thing when you're in a group, but when you're solo it's just hateful. If I ever get around to making a Foundry mission, I'm not going to have any boss fights, that's how much I hate them.
  • baburmisbaburmis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yea it does get old quite fast.

Thats not to say how some bosses aren't unique. When it comes to those, you gotta learn how to stay out of their AoE and be really careful, because they spawn adds.

On a bright side, you dont have to stop before every boss and teach new people how to do it! Saying 'stay out of boss aoes, and fight adds', once, at lvl 9 or so does the trick, and they are prepared for every boss fight in this game :=)
  • terhixterhix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    This thread isnt about class mechanics. it's about how every boss has adds. Yes, i play with a static group. Yes we have 1 of each class. Yes we use TS. Yes the GF cant hold agro. Yes the GWF can't hold agro. Yes the CW can CC for 2 seconds. Yes I Heal but it isnt effective when I'm doing 40% less healing to myself. Yes we have a Rogue.

Again not about who's tanking or cc'ing or w/e. it's about the boss and their adds. For those of you not 60, watch some videos of elite/epic dungeons.

I want to encounter a boss that has abilities that doesn't involve: aoe knockback, life drain, teleporting, charge, 290 ravage arc. I thought the beholder would be different but all it did was (pick two of the abilities above) and summon adds.

I consider the trash mobs before a boss to be those mobs a boss would have summoned, if we didn't kill them before getting to the boss.

So, you just want to fight the boss, alone, with tank tanking it, dps dpsing it and cleric sitting behind tossing heals while eating popcorn and watching telly?

It is scary what WoW did to people.