test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AH: Initial Prices

justice4justice4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion (PC)
When I put items on the auction house, I notice that it provides a price in the price tab already, both for bid and buyout. And those prices differ based on which item I put in the window. What does the game base those prices on? Are they based on like the average prices of that item that are currently on the auction house? Or is it just a predetermined value that the game thinks the item should sell for? I am curious because if it's the first, then that makes life a breeze since I don't have to do hours of price searching to find out what things are worth. But if its the second, then it really doesn't help at all lol!

I checked a few of the items on the auction house but it seemed weird. For a few of the items, the suggested price matched up almost exactly with the prices of the items in the auction house. But for another (portable altars), it suggested I sell 30 of them for 1.5 million AD, but on the auction house they seemed to be going for 100 or less a piece.
Post edited by justice4 on

Comments

• justice4justice4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone have any idea?
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thought it did a quick scan of said item and listed the lowest price for said item automatically in the windows.

But that's not true. I listed some crafted pants and it 'helpfully' suggested I should sell it for 160k ADs.

I'm guessing it's just as useful as the 'this item is worth more to a vendor therefore you should wear it even though its stats may stink and/or you have something better on in the first place' equipment recommendation system.
  • grifta67grifta67 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd also love to know more about this. I've been dabbling quite a bit in the AH so far and I'm never sure if I'm pricing things right. Using the search to compare existing listings for every single item you want to post is waaaay too time consuming.
  • blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I would appreciate a function that just matched the price with the lowest listed. That would save lots of time and energy, and be easier to implement.
  • arcinetharcineth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather the level range function on the search bar actually work. I put in only 60 gear and I get gear from all levels and I have to trudge through them all.

Also, crafted shirt/pants are insanely expensive because no one has really grinded that tradeskill up yet.
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At a guess it is basing it off of other similar items in the Auction House.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think we need a developer response on this. It's just a bunch of wild guesses at this point.
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would love to know as well
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • acelandowacelandow Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I am starting to think it is auto-incrementing the prices each time an item is posted. I watched the Master Weaponsmith (Rare) jump in price last night from 8000-12000 AD.

I occasionally get recommendations for Common equipment Items (Rings, Belts & Amulets, with not even great stats) with over 100k AD Prices that I have to start taking digits out of the price to even post them. And even then I get the feeling that it is way too high.

I have not been posting anything for sale unless it recommends 20 AD or higher. Now I am tempted to start checking.

If I am correct, then maybe they should have prices follow sales, not postings. I put tons of stuff up for sale, and the time expires on a lot of them. Or make it based on supply and demand, the more that are posted, the lower the price goes. That might increase sales, especially of lower level equipment. My highest guy is level 54 and my lowest is 24, so I am not posting epic gear. But I would like to actually sell some of it.

And, BTW, if you try to post on the gateway, it will not recommend anything. Maybe that is because it assumes you can get more information. Maybe it is just not an available function. But if you are using a Mobile client, you don't get as much information.
  • vadimt83vadimt83 Member Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Its an average of all sales of that item in the last week. It has nothing to do with the current listed prices. That's what I remember a dev saying at some point.
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Based on my experience buying and selling on the AH, it does not appear to be an average price of other items of the same type currently for sale on the AH. It looks like some predetermined value to me, but I have no idea how they get some of those prices. Some of the predetermined prices are WAY higher than what other items are selling for, while others are WAY lower. It really has never made much sense to me . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    vadimt83 wrote: »
    Its an average of all sales of that item in the last week. It has nothing to do with the current listed prices. That's what I remember a dev saying at some point.

I wonder about the validity of that . . .

Maybe the system uses more dated/older sales information . . .
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • phrendonphrendon Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't trust the suggested price when I attempt to sell a valuable item. I check and see myself what is actually listed and make my decision from that. Sometimes it suggests a much higher price than what is currently being offered. It never undercuts the lowest bid, that I have seen. That is always done by savvy sellers.
  • sixpax2sixpax2 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I have noticed that if there are several items with the same name but different quality (uncommon, rare, etc) then the price is way off. So I do believe the game is tracking the price and suggests some sort of average, but the code needs to be modified to take into account the item quality.
    "While it is possible to tank as a Justice or Light paladin, it is substantially harder, especially on longer fights where Holy Barrier and your other defensive feats get chances to kick in and contribute quite a bit of defensive power." - System Designer Gentlemancrush
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ...I recommend always looking it up above a certain threshold - e.g. sometimes socketed/non-socketed can make a whole lot of value difference, which the AH wouldn't recognize. Also the price seems to be along the lines of the last piece sold - so for stuff sold rarely, you'll have been undercut before putting it up, as prices have deteriorated already.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IT is a Average Daily Price from the server day before (or the previous x hours) I think. So if yesterday someone had something posted for a ridiculous price it screws it up

I think it might be based on average actual sales price.

So if something is put up on the AH and purchased, that price is used to help set the "recommended" price. Which can be screwy, if someone is using common items to transfer AD between accounts.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1