test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guardian Fighter next to useless in PVP?

hardrokkahardrokka Member Posts: 34
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Perhaps it's just me, but after leveling above 30, the GF becomes stupidly under-powered in PVP.
For instance; In a match today, I chased a Rogue with no HP even visible on their HP bar, constantly spamming Threatening Rush and Lunging Strike. Needless to say, the rogue didn't even die, worse still, he eventually out ran me with a slither of HP. Problem 1 - Lack of snare/pinning skill

I think the combat mechanics for the GF are just too sluggish for PVP all together. You will find yourself backpeddling with your shield up or attempting to control groups with Frontline Surge and Terrifying Impact. The animation speed of Griffon's Wrath and Anvil of Doom make them a complete no-no for PVP. Trying to hit people with them just leaves you completely open to attacks. Problem 2 - Slow attack animations

Our damage just pales in comparison to other classes in PVP. Even with alot of defense and HP, it only makes our death a slightly slower one than other classes. Our only real utility skill is our shield, and it doesn't last long when under a barrage of ranges attacks. Problem 3 - Lack of utility skills

My suggestions how to fix these issues -

Increase cooldown on Lunging Strike and give it a snare effect on-hit.

Increase attack animation speeds for Griffon's Wrath and Anvil of Doom.

Give us some more utility. ie; A skill that allows us to wear our shield on our back to soak up damage when retreating, for a duration. Having to back-peddle slowly with your shield up is a death sentence.
Or a skill that allows us to hook a target and pull them closer.
Post edited by hardrokka on

Comments

• flynnetarflynnetar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Almost all of your problems are solved by Frontline Surge.
  • hardrokkahardrokka Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
  • zakard1zakard1 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    hum you might just have a bad build or you dont know how to play GF....im currently 36 and im doing fine in pvp.when you hit 30+ its even better then before.im starting to be always on the top kills/pts now.spec for dps and you will melt other and with your block,you still survive 5x more then any other class.
  • robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What level are you? At 60, I won't even mess with a GF or DC. Those two classes alone rule 60 PvP.

I think you may need to re examine your build.
  • aldemmaldemm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you spec for damage you can actually become an offensive threat with abilities like griffon's wrath. Nonetheless, if you are full tank you're better off using Bull Charge, Iron Warrior, and Frontline Surge and holding points while knocking off any serious threat.
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Lol nice troll OP. 7/10
  • monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ummm, just NO. I saw a Guardian in a PvP match that just could not be taken down man. The guy kept us off the node and they won the match. Unless he had 2 or more people on him it was futile.
  • stereoblindxstereoblindx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 246 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wrong, very wrong. So wrong. The wrong-est. Extra wrong. So wrong, it's wrong.
  • moargasmicmoargasmic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    How about you guys reply with more than "nyahh you wrong! GF da bestest!" and make your replies actually useful?

I'm a 4x GF who mainly plays PvE - never been much of a PvPer so I don't have the practice or knowledge on how to fully take advantage of this class which I keep hearing is OP in PvP. Which is why I'd like your feedback on my skillbar:

Passive: Combat Superiority, Ferocious Wrath
    Daily: Fighter's Recovery, Terrifying Wrath
    At-Will: Cleave, Threatening Rush
    Encounters: Lunging Strike, Frontline Surge, Griffon's Wrath (though I've been playing around with Anvil of Doom lately)

My feats are pretty much all geared towards DPS and my gear is all armor pen. I find I'm good 1v1 against all but a very good rogue. I feel like I should be better though. What's our primary role, hunter/killer? Support DD? Point defense? What do you guys have in your skill bar and do you have any tips against rogues?

Thanks for any feedback, loving this class so far.
  • yeruneyerune Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    moargasmic wrote: »
    I find I'm good 1v1 against all but a very good rogue.

Dude, what more do you want? New to the class and already dominating! Once you get the bull rush you can bouncing betty anyone of them all over the place, but until then smack 'em on the head with griffon's wrath when they start to act funny.
  • wholyhandgrenadewholyhandgrenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    level 30 play and level 60 play are completely different things
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Dont knwo why Im wasting time writing this but...

GF are very good in pvp even pre 60. ONE issue I learned (dont know if this is fixed) is that players PVPing a few levels below the cap get a HUGE damage shaft... I dont know what it was but I couldnt do ANYTHING if I was level 38, but hit 39 and my damage like tripled... no joke...

My rule of thumb at low lvl pvp (using 30-39 as an example). Lvl 31-lvl34 (your good in pvp). Lvl 35-38 dont even think about it. Lvl 39 = your a god.