test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is the +1, +2, +3, etc on equipment?

fleshfeasttfleshfeastt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I'm looking at two level 20 daggers on the weapon merchant. One has +2 and the other has +3, but they seem like they are equal other than having slightly different stats.

Poisoned Dagger +2
81-99 damage
134 power
45 crit
45 armor penetration

Silent Blade +3
81-99 damage
134 power
90 defense

The only difference is that one has 45+45 offensive stats, and the other has 90 of a defensive stat. They're both blue, have the same damage, same level requirement, and cost the same. Am I missing something? does this +3 add to my stats somewhere that isn't listed on the weapon tooltip?
Post edited by fleshfeastt on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's been a long time since I played PnP D&D, but didn't the + number have something to do with a monster's armor class - like if a monster had +1 AC you'd need at least a +1 weapon to damage them? Perhaps it's something similar, just that if you don't meet that requirement, you do reduced damage...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    usually in dnd games the higher the + number, the stronger the weapon...isnt it something like attack roll +1? dunno...but thats in every dnd game
  • Options
    fleshfeasttfleshfeastt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ahh ok, that makes sense now. Thanks.
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    in DND a +1 improved your AB(attack bonus) for your hit roll, as well as your initiative roll(+1 to each). In this game, it doesn't seem to apply to either, since there are no hit rolls as such, and initiative seems to be replaced by cooldowns and the recovery stat.
  • Options
    mattkrueg1mattkrueg1 Member Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    The only way to understand how +1,+2,+3 work is clarification from a dev. I say this because the weapons you listed, in a normal MMO, would be very misleading. If this game is actually follow DnD rules, then that needs to be stated, else this question will get ask a lot when the majority of the population starts hitting 60.
    TEMPUS
  • Options
    systemcrushsystemcrush Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its something from the PnP yea, I'm not sure the +X on weapons makes much of a difference, but on armor it adds 1 AC per plus which is equal to roughly 0.5% damage resistance. But all in all Having a +0 armor with +200 defense is more effective than having a +3 armor with +60 Defense.

I'm actually surprised that the deflection stat is separate from AC, because its basically does what AC vs. Attack Does.
    In PnP having a high AC gives you a significant chance to avoid damage, while every point of attack overcomes 1 point of AC your opponent has.
    Maybe they where trying to avoid having stats that exist only to counter other stats...
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's just a naming convention in this game loosely indicating the tier of gear. It has no actual additional stats beyond what's on the item. Consider it an homage of sorts to pen and paper.
  • Options
    pietrala69pietrala69 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    you shouldnt even have to think about that....grab the dagger with crit and armor pen and happy kills :-)
  • Options
    durenasdurenas Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    From a design point of view, the reason why AC is the way it is in this game has to do with... call it the 'hit or miss' syndrome. In DnD, if you get hit, you take full damage from the attack, if the attack misses, you take no damage. This means, particularly at low level, that you can die in one hit, which isn't really fun gameplay, and at higher levels, become nearly impervious to damage, which is pretty broken. To counter this trend, in MMOs, you will get damage mitigation, the purpose of which is to REDUCE the incoming damage, not eliminate it entirely. In this way, the incoming damage goes from an extreme spike to a more gradual line. The more even the incoming damage gets over time, the easier it is for a healer to deal with it. Spikes in damage get moved toward special attacks, and avoiding or responding correctly to these special attacks can mean the difference between success and failure.