test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

NWO for MAC users?

lecherousnocturnlecherousnocturn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
I am new to these forums,but a Neverwinter Nights vet/DM and avid reader/collector of FR novels.

I own a MAC and I can no longer play my favorite persistent worlds on NWN2.

Will there be a release on MAC that is equal to the PC version? Please?Please?someone that possesses this answer please reply!!
Post edited by lecherousnocturn on

Comments

• lecherousnocturnlecherousnocturn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am referring this new Neverwinter game to be exact.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The game would be playable on Mac and Linux. There won't be native client, but playing on Mac and Linux would be supported technically.
    There is an old thread regarding this where devs have replied. You might want to look into it for source of my claim.
  • vindevereauxxvindevereauxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    The game would be playable on Mac and Linux. There won't be native client, but playing on Mac and Linux would be supported technically.
    There is an old thread regarding this where devs have replied. You might want to look into it for source of my claim.

Officially, only Windows is supported by support. This doesn't mean it's not POSSIBLE to play on OSX or one of the various flavors of Linux, but if you ticket in to support asking OS specific questions, they can't officially help you. You could always partition your hard drive and have a bare-bones windows side that is JUST for Neverwinter, or run the game through something like wine. I know PWI players have been able to play PWI through wine on Mint, and they don't seem to feel they're missing anything for not using the officially supported browser.

I think the dev post said that at this time they're not porting to OSX, but that they're trying to make it as compatible as possible? Don't quote me on that though.
    edited August 2012
    Officially, only Windows is supported by support. This doesn't mean it's not POSSIBLE to play on OSX or one of the various flavors of Linux, but if you ticket in to support asking OS specific questions, they can't officially help you. You could always partition your hard drive and have a bare-bones windows side that is JUST for Neverwinter, or run the game through something like wine. I know PWI players have been able to play PWI through wine on Mint, and they don't seem to feel they're missing anything for not using the officially supported browser.

I think the dev post said that at this time they're not porting to OSX, but that they're trying to make it as compatible as possible? Don't quote me on that though.

I was talking about cryptic and not PW. I think you already know of that old thread? First of all, the dev already commented that there is no native client as I said. Secondly, dev himself/herself had Linux(or was it Mac?) system so told us that he would definately make it work. Thirdly, technical support exists for Mac users in STO(or was it CO?). The problems running the game on Mac are addressed there. Of course it is not a Mac executable, but the end result and addressed problem is running the game on Mac/Linux somehow.

EDIT: Ok! If someone is lazy to find it, I guess I will link to my older post which has links: post. :)
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This is a thread with a reply from CripticCliff on playing on a Macintosh. Post #5 is CrypticCliff's post I think. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=3466

Also is the Summary of Confirmed Info:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=3739&highlight=CrypticCliff
  • doomhammer4doomhammer4 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    As a Mac user, I might be able to help you.

The solution is far more simple than using Wine software or something like that. I used a few of those things and they complicate matters more than they're worth.
    Games do work over wine but not all of them are supported and they tend to be glitchy.

The simplest and most elegant solution is to simply use Bootcamp to install Windows on a disk partition. It is very simple to use and runs perfectly on my iMac.

OS X is my main operating and work system, and the only reason I need Windows is for games - and for that it works very well.

What you do is go into Applications > Utilities > Boot Camp Assistant.
    If I recall correctly, you will need a burned copy of the Windows system you wish to install (for me Windows 7 does the job perfectly).
    The Boot Camp Assistant will guide you through all the steps for installing it. If there is still something you're unsure of, a simple google search will give you ample results and detailed guidelines on how to do this.

I have created a partition of 100gb for Windows, so I can have a few games installed at the same time while leaving space for maneouvering with files if the need arises.

Once you install the system, go through the settings and set everything up how you want it to run - but for gaming I have to put emphasis on one thing.
    The keyboard function keys on the Mac have their already assigned functions (volume, brightness, show desktop etc.) that also work in Windows, so if you want to use F1 to F12 as game shortcuts you have to go into the Windows Control Panel and set them up properly.

When you install it, your OS X will still be the default start up disk. When you want to switch to Windows hold down the Option key during start up and you will get a menu to choose which disk to use for start up.

Basically that's it.
    I highly recommend using Bootcamp over any Wine software.

There you go, from a fellow Mac user :)
    edited August 2012
    I do this for DDO. And yes, it does work great. But I would add that it does of course assume one owns a copy of a Windows OS that supports the game. Often, people don't have a Microsoft OS, or the luxury of buying one.
    As a Mac user myself also, I much prefer not to reboot to play. I'm glad that I can, but still... It would be nice to play online, while still downloading "other things" at the same time, or even streaming music in the background. It's only DDO that I have to use Bootcamp for right now. I hope, no I plead with, the developers support NWO to run under Wine. And better yet, port it so it will natively run on OS X. (/end wishful thinking)
    edited August 2012
    @aescleal
    that link does not have the thread where cryptik dev posted. that is why I linked my post... it has the quote of dev and link to linux and mac thread. can you update the link for all the threads in your post? more people will come and look for this answer and will probably only look for latest thread. the info would be useful to them.

I would have post the links in detail myself but am unable to use hyperlink options due to technical limitations. thanks.
  • doomhammer4doomhammer4 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    aescleal wrote: »
    I do this for DDO. And yes, it does work great. But I would add that it does of course assume one owns a copy of a Windows OS that supports the game. Often, people don't have a Microsoft OS, or the luxury of buying one.
    As a Mac user myself also, I much prefer not to reboot to play. I'm glad that I can, but still... It would be nice to play online, while still downloading "other things" at the same time, or even streaming music in the background. It's only DDO that I have to use Bootcamp for right now. I hope, no I plead with, the developers support NWO to run under Wine. And better yet, port it so it will natively run on OS X. (/end wishful thinking)

True, true, rebooting to play sometimes does seem tiresome but for me personally it's not that much of a problem, I don't usually listen to music while playing a game I want to immerse myself in, but I agree about what you say.

Also, concerning Wine - I guess that if the devs add Wine support from the start it would be a very different matter than with games that don't have that. I used Crossover Games for a while and it was pretty much random how games behaved. Some ran very smoothly, some were a hell to install and other simply refused to work even if it said they were supported.
    So, dunno.
    We'll see.
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    @aescleal
    that link does not have the thread where cryptik dev posted. that is why I linked my post... it has the quote of dev and link to linux and mac thread. can you update the link for all the threads in your post? more people will come and look for this answer and will probably only look for latest thread. the info would be useful to them.

I would have post the links in detail myself but am unable to use hyperlink options due to technical limitations. thanks.

I think that should do it. If you can think of others, let me know.
  • ethyrealforumsethyrealforums Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I see this thread is old as dirt, but I figured I would report my experience this past weekend.

I installed the Neverwinter client form this past weekend's beta on a Crossover Games XP bottle.

It isn't officially supported so the steps I took are:

Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable via the cross tie bundle.

Install DirectX modern ( it should be in the menu of runtime add-on's ).

Install DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer also via a crosstie. I'm not positive this was totally nessessary but I did it anyway.

Then I just ran the Neverwinter client installer and started the app.

Everything seemed to run well, not as good as under bootcamp but it was playable. I didn't do any pvp so I don't know if it will scream then or not, but it does run.
  • farrenardfarrenard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hello,

Can you give us more details about your hardware and crossover version ?

I see this thread is old as dirt, but I figured I would report my experience this past weekend.

I installed the Neverwinter client form this past weekend's beta on a Crossover Games XP bottle.

Install DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer also via a crosstie. I'm not positive this was totally nessessary but I did it anyway.

Everything seemed to run well, not as good as under bootcamp but it was playable. I didn't do any pvp so I don't know if it will scream then or not, but it does run.
  • scellow33scellow33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hope they'll make an OSX version !!!!!
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013

Thanks for these steps, this actually fixed the one issue I was having with the launcher... Before these steps I could not get the Options dialog box (to remove on demand patching), but these steps fixed that.
  • vaanstellvaanstell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    Hi,
    There is a project at portingteam.com, a dedicated site where there are many port for mac. I hope it will help.
    http://portingteam.com/files/file/7839-neverwinter-dungeons-dragons/
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited May 2013
    vaanstell wrote: »
    Hi,
    There is a project at portingteam.com, a dedicated site where there are many port for mac. I hope it will help.

Awesome! It was just a matter of time until this popped up on PT. I'm going to compare this with my Crossover install and pick the better of the two if I can tell the difference.
    edited May 2013
    I've installed the port.

The graphics are very slow and laggy. But the sounds works well.

The Foundry works too, but the in-game test mode is like the game, slow and laggy.

I have a AMD graphic card and it seems that this is the origin of the problem.

There is a video from the project developper. He have a Nvidia graphic card.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0W13EPkK9dg
    edited May 2013
    Hi,

The problems with AMD graphic cards are partially resolved by updating Mac OS X to Mountain Lion 10.8.3. The game is less laggy.

All informations here :