test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF Sprint

emptyzxemptyzx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I'm currently lvling my gwf and I noticed(after lvling a cw), that the sprint-ability isn't comparable with the other classes' dodge-abilty.

there are few flaws:
- it drains the stamina too fast
- you actually have to move from point A to B(unlike the other classes' dodge, their dodge kinda "ports" you to point B. it happens much faster.) for example: when i dodge a cast from an enemy, it almost drains most of my stamina(i even skilled the -15%stamina drain feat) that i can't dodge a second one. this is possible with other classes.

my suggestion:
- the sprints gets a similiar mechanism. or a roll(like the trickster rogue's roll)

ps: and pls fix gwf's dmg :S
Post edited by emptyzx on

Comments

• Options
    vonthvonth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    The best part of sprint is it's cancelling your attack animation so just tap it half a second to anticipate your dodge and after that you can easily run away while running normally. You don't have to keep pushing it to avoid the red circles.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vonth wrote: »
    The best part of sprint is it's cancelling your attack animation so just tap it half a second to anticipate your dodge and after that you can easily run away while running normally. You don't have to keep pushing it to avoid the red circles.

That actually sounds superior to the wizard teleport (for avoiding damage) then as you can still get animation locked and hit if you don't anticipate damage fast enough.
  • Options
    caiotamiettecaiotamiette Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Great Weapon Fighter IT'S BUG CLASS
    dont have damage, defense, life, speed, miss, deflect like others and gm dont give any attention, future fail game, ridiculos PVP
  • Options
    anorruanorru Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Attack animation canceling and the sheer speed of repositioning in combat with sprint make other classes seem clunkier imo.

Once you get the hang just using the right amount of sprint (just barely any sometimes), things get incredibly fun.

Anyone who thinks this class sucks is crazy...
  • Options
    baofengyubaofengyu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GWF is garbage. Roll anything else and you will be happier for it.
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    anorru wrote: »
    Attack animation canceling and the sheer speed of repositioning in combat with sprint make other classes seem clunkier imo.

Once you get the hang just using the right amount of sprint (just barely any sometimes), things get incredibly fun.

Anyone who thinks this class sucks is crazy...

I do agree that the animation cancelling and ability to reposition precisely in combat are very nice, and I miss that on other classes. But unless I am mistaken (my 200ms lag makes it hard to be absolutely certain) I think that you still take damage while doing a sprint unlike the other classes, so there is a trade-off.

However, at lower levels the GWF's DPS does uncategorically suck. At least until mid-thirties I can outdamage them on my DC, let alone the ROFLstomping from my CW or my TR. When a DPS class does less DPS with way worse survivability than the healer class that is a serious issue. I haven't tried the GF yet, but I have a feeling this trend will continue.
  • Options
    xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I think that you still take damage while doing a sprint unlike the other classes, so there is a trade-off.

You do, and that's just another reason this class is unfinished. I have a 60 GWF and a 60 TR. On the TR I get a big DODGED pop up in the middle, on the GWF, I get damage numbers. The class is broken and unfinished. Sure, you can make it work to do decent damage at 60 with the proper gear and group. However, the class is far from finished. Anyone telling you otherwise hasn't played the other classes.
  • Options
    mmoplaya1971mmoplaya1971 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    baofengyu wrote: »
    GWF is garbage. Roll anything else and you will be happier for it.

This. After leveling to my 30s I realized this class is trash and rolled a GF. My problem with GWF is that is is just not needed in dungeon runs. What role is is supposed to fill? Subpar threat, defense, DPS, aoe, etc. It is bad.

In PVP is gets owned by every class if the player is good.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    all wrong. GWF is excellent at higher levels. I outdps everyone in t2 dungeons bring excellent utility and offtanking capabilities/peel for my cleric.

As for sprint, there is an ability called punishing charge that you get later. That is your real dodge
  • Options
    xaazxxaazx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    all wrong. GWF is excellent at higher levels. I outdps everyone in t2 dungeons bring excellent utility and offtanking capabilities/peel for my cleric.

As for sprint, there is an ability called punishing charge that you get later. That is your real dodge

Post this in every thread, it won't change the fact that you are wrong for the vast majority. If you have a static group the GWF is workable, without the gear and the group, they are abysmal. Fluff AE damage does not mean the class is functioning as it should.

As for punishing charge, there is no reason any class should have to take an encounter power to make up for a dodge that every other class gets. Sprint is useless.
  • Options
    anorruanorru Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xaazx wrote: »
    Post this in every thread, it won't change the fact that you are wrong for the vast majority. If you have a static group the GWF is workable, without the gear and the group, they are abysmal. Fluff AE damage does not mean the class is functioning as it should.

As for punishing charge, there is no reason any class should have to take an encounter power to make up for a dodge that every other class gets. Sprint is useless.

I cannot comment for the vast majority, but I can say I took a similar approach to GWF as forsaken and - with some tips from some players on the forum including him - I have seen great results from the class from beginning to end. I will admit that the beginning can seem slow in terms of determination build up and the damage numbers on some of our early skills. However, intelligent use of sprint to absorb attacks that don't make you prone for quick determination, and dodge the attacks that will waste your time by making you prone, will easily alleviate that issue.

The problem, I think, is that it is just not intuitive for players to understand how important it is for our class to maximize determination and ability point gain, and therefore they will feel that they are doing weak damage because they spend their time in the early levels NOT in unstoppable, trying to dodge ALL attacks with sprint, spamming sure strike for damage against one mob.

All in all, positioning is huge for this class, so I honestly think this issue the vast majority are facing is a result a lack of understanding of class mechanics as well as a lack of the little bit of mechanical skill you need to perform some sprint maneuvers in between attacks for that perfect position.
  • Options
    crshdcrshd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    Yea i noticed this as well. Unlike on my cw with the gwf i have to gtfo as soon as that red circle pops and usually even if i'm out of it before the strike i still get damaged. There's no "dodge". It's nice however to zip from mob to mob and the fact that you can make the most use of it by taping it just as much as you need.

The gwf damage sub 40 requires no additional mentioning. The half arsed "balancing" they did to the gwf prior to open beta is cringe worthy to say the least.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cannot comment for the vast majority, but I can say I took a similar approach to GWF as forsaken and - with some tips from some players on the forum including him - I have seen great results from the class from beginning to end. I will admit that the beginning can seem slow in terms of determination build up and the damage numbers on some of our early skills. However, intelligent use of sprint to absorb attacks that don't make you prone for quick determination, and dodge the attacks that will waste your time by making you prone, will easily alleviate that issue.

The problem, I think, is that it is just not intuitive for players to understand how important it is for our class to maximize determination and ability point gain, and therefore they will feel that they are doing weak damage because they spend their time in the early levels NOT in unstoppable, trying to dodge ALL attacks with sprint, spamming sure strike for damage against one mob.

All in all, positioning is huge for this class, so I honestly think this issue the vast majority are facing is a result a lack of understanding of class mechanics as well as a lack of the little bit of mechanical skill you need to perform some sprint maneuvers in between attacks for that perfect position.
    this
    crshd wrote: »
    Yea i noticed this as well. Unlike on my cw with the gwf i have to gtfo as soon as that red circle pops and usually even if i'm out of it before the strike i still get damaged. There's no "dodge". It's nice however to zip from mob to mob and the fact that you can make the most use of it by taping it just as much as you need.

The gwf damage sub 40 requires no additional mentioning. The half arsed "balancing" they did to the gwf prior to open beta is cringe worthy to say the least.

The gwf is quite a mechanical and precise class. It is no wonder those who think they are playing Tryndamere from League of Legends are failing.

The climb is steep but worth it. In dungeons I will go as far as to say that a GWF can be the CORE of the party. Nobody else brings his kind of combined AoE and single target damage, utility, and off-tanking capabilities. In hindsight, he doesnt have threat issues either. If gained any more threat he would take too much damage. People need to learn to use mechanics. You dont peel by gaining threat and tanking - which you wont be able to do - but by using abilities like Not So Fast or Come and Get It to either Clip the enemies that are chasing your squishies or to outright pull them away and to you instead.

NWO is the GWF

i need to start posting screens. Last dungeon i did in a successful Lair of the Pirate King run (T2) I got a late start on dps. At the end of the game I was top executioner by about 50 executions, top DPS over a rogue who said hed never been outdpsed in pve before (same gear score) - actually had 6 million damage more than him, and was second on the tanking chart as well falling only about 300k behind the guardian tank

and you say GWF is useless in parties
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I dunno. I never have problems dodging really. Between punishing charge, takedown and roar I don't have problems avoiding damage.

Bosses project their moves so obviously I'm amazed anyone gets caught in them. The only time I get caught in AoE or alphas is when I choose to, in order to build determination or if I mess up. 9 times out of 10 I'm using my charge to either get ahead of the group to pull additional packs for daily use or charging after my healer to peel aggro.

I really don't see the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    I dunno. I never have problems dodging really. Between punishing charge, takedown and roar I don't have problems avoiding damage.

Bosses project their moves so obviously I'm amazed anyone gets caught in them. The only time I get caught in AoE or alphas is when I choose to, in order to build determination or if I mess up. 9 times out of 10 I'm using my charge to either get ahead of the group to pull additional packs for daily use or charging after my healer to peel aggro.

I really don't see the problem.

This. I thought sprint was a bad mechanic initially but it just takes awhile to tune to as it is unlike any other ability in most other games. Punishing charge works excellently for fights like Chartilifax to avoid aoe asap but i dont need it now that i have mastered sprint
  • Options
    mantiddmantidd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    emptyzx wrote: »
    I'm currently lvling my gwf and I noticed(after lvling a cw), that the sprint-ability isn't comparable with the other classes' dodge-abilty.

there are few flaws:
    - it drains the stamina too fast
    - you actually have to move from point A to B(unlike the other classes' dodge, their dodge kinda "ports" you to point B. it happens much faster.) for example: when i dodge a cast from an enemy, it almost drains most of my stamina(i even skilled the -15%stamina drain feat) that i can't dodge a second one. this is possible with other classes.

my suggestion:
    - the sprints gets a similiar mechanism. or a roll(like the trickster rogue's roll)

ps: and pls fix gwf's dmg :S

My GWF is 50 again now and I LOVE Sprint, especially with the right stats your stamina regen is excellent. Not to mention that later on the GWF has an encounter ability that fills your stamina at every use. So it is an amazing dodge skill, but might be a bit harder at lower levels.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    mantiddmantidd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    this

The gwf is quite a mechanical and precise class. It is no wonder those who think they are playing Tryndamere from League of Legends are failing.

The climb is steep but worth it. In dungeons I will go as far as to say that a GWF can be the CORE of the party. Nobody else brings his kind of combined AoE and single target damage, utility, and off-tanking capabilities. In hindsight, he doesnt have threat issues either. If gained any more threat he would take too much damage. People need to learn to use mechanics. You dont peel by gaining threat and tanking - which you wont be able to do - but by using abilities like Not So Fast or Come and Get It to either Clip the enemies that are chasing your squishies or to outright pull them away and to you instead.

NWO is the GWF

i need to start posting screens. Last dungeon i did in a successful Lair of the Pirate King run (T2) I got a late start on dps. At the end of the game I was top executioner by about 50 executions, top DPS over a rogue who said hed never been outdpsed in pve before (same gear score) - actually had 6 million damage more than him, and was second on the tanking chart as well falling only about 300k behind the guardian tank

Amen. Almost always #1 and sometimes #2 in dps for dungeons. I also agree that GWFs can be the core of a party. I have myself set up so that every crit is bleeding and debuffing the enemies. In addition to all the possible cc, prones, interrupts, stuns, etc. Having a GWF is incredible and I for one am glad we are rare.

Should mention we are **** had to kill. I've lived through ridiculous things by timing my Dailies, <Tab> and sprints. Rezzing people, jumping around, love this silly class.

PS - Primarily an Instigator.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    blackhalo321blackhalo321 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The consensus seems to be...
    Bad until lvl 45.
    Comparable after.

As a competent gamer, getting tied in dmg by healers in instances IS terrible balancing on the PW guys part, at very least, from the lvls 10 to 25 I am at atm.

How about with regards to PvP?
    Same thing??
    Hang on to 45 if you can?
    Dump it otherwise?
  • Options
    emptyzxemptyzx Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't have issues dodging aoe casts either. Normal hits or attacks are very easy to dodge.

But earlier today I did the gray wolf dungeon. When we fought the endboss,(which cast covers a large area) he cast his aoe 2 times in a row and I couldn't dodge the second one, because the first cast used up all of my stamina.

The class is very fun to play. But there are a few flaws, that need to be fixed/tweaked.

edit: Also the thing is I'm still 40. I have no idea how lvl 60 gameplay is. Hopefully it's get better.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    emptyzx wrote: »
    I don't have issues dodging aoe casts either. Normal hits or attacks are very easy to dodge.

But earlier today I did the gray wolf dungeon. When we fought the endboss,(which cast covers a large area) he cast his aoe 2 times in a row and I couldn't dodge the second one, because the first cast used up all of my stamina.

The class is very fun to play. But there are a few flaws, that need to be fixed/tweaked.

edit: Also the thing is I'm still 40. I have no idea how lvl 60 gameplay is. Hopefully it's get better.

On that boss I took leap, so really what you end up doing is a sprint out of one AoE to 50%, if she does it again just sprint and be at 0%, if another hits you can either leap away or simply <Tab> and ignore the cc all together. I find that I have the best up-time overall with my GWF since you have so much mobility. Add in another like avalanche of steel and you're almost untouchable.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The consensus seems to be...
    Bad until lvl 45.
    Comparable after.

As a competent gamer, getting tied in dmg by healers in instances IS terrible balancing on the PW guys part, at very least, from the lvls 10 to 25 I am at atm.

How about with regards to PvP?
    Same thing??
    Hang on to 45 if you can?
    Dump it otherwise?

The low levels are a bit deceiving IMO.

The damage/heal tallies at the end of a skirmish or dungeon include your companions totals as well. I've had tons... TONS of skirmishes where I would come in at 2nd place for damage. Being out damaged by 50k ish. Losing out to a rogue or CW. But then on the healing chart I come in at #1, out healing even our class cleric. Usually by 15-20k. That's all on my cleric companion because I rarely use pots. So while whoever it is that's beating me damage wise is doing so because of his DPS companion I get to relax knowing that almost the entirety of my damage score belongs to me.

And of course it's always fun to listen to the cleric whine that he got out healed by a GWF somehow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    The low levels are a bit deceiving IMO.

The damage/heal tallies at the end of a skirmish or dungeon include your companions totals as well. I've had tons... TONS of skirmishes where I would come in at 2nd place for damage. Being out damaged by 50k ish. Losing out to a rogue or CW. But then on the healing chart I come in at #1, out healing even our class cleric. Usually by 15-20k. That's all on my cleric companion because I rarely use pots. So while whoever it is that's beating me damage wise is doing so because of his DPS companion I get to relax knowing that almost the entirety of my damage score belongs to me.

And of course it's always fun to listen to the cleric whine that he got out healed by a GWF somehow.

So true - I would love a separation there that shows "Your" dmg/healing/etc and then your "companions" dmg/healing/etc and finally a combined. That way you see how well you're doing compared to others and how well certain pets/companions are doing on different encounters.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013

NWO is the GWF

Dunno if that last bit was directed at me but i only said gwf is **** up until late 30's and i stand by that.

NWO is the gwf ? I certainly hope not. Being more or less useless up until 40 and then owning everything in end game is a horrible class balancing as far as i'm concerned.

And if all you say really is true (i'm not max level yet) then there's a problem. An off tank class that trumps the dps charts goes against logical balancing and a part from a gimmick fight (huge hp boss with no adds) might make the rogues obsolete. Again going by what you said as i have no first hand experience.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Dunno if that last bit was directed at me but i only said gwf is **** up until late 30's and i stand by that.

NWO is the gwf ? I certainly hope not. Being more or less useless up until 40 and then owning everything in end game is a horrible class balancing as far as i'm concerned.

And if all you say really is true (i'm not max level yet) then there's a problem. An off tank class that trumps the dps charts goes against logical balancing and a part from a gimmick fight (huge hp boss with no adds) might make the rogues obsolete. Again going by what you said as i have no first hand experience.

I think a lot of if depends on how you play. I've seen people say it sucks until 25, 35, 45, 50 and so on. Personally I haven't had issues with dying, crazy potion chugging or coming in at under #2 in a dungeon. I will say the the GWF is not face-roll and really requires good stat selection, movement, timing and synergy. So while other folks can simply hit all their cooldowns every time they're up, the GWF is far more tactical. Which is something I love and the more complex a class the better. The fact that this allows a well played GWF to top dmg numbers "overall" in a dungeon makes sense. When you think about... Most everything is a pack of MoBs and so your AoE is amazing. I'm not sold on anyone being #1 on a single target as Rogues should put us to shame there. However until we can measure those numbers its all just dungeon numbers and not the best indicator of performance during key mechanics or fights.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mantidd wrote: »
    I think a lot of if depends on how you play. I've seen people say it sucks until 25, 35, 45, 50 and so on. Personally I haven't had issues with dying, crazy potion chugging or coming in at under #2 in a dungeon. I will say the the GWF is not face-roll and really requires good stat selection, movement, timing and synergy. So while other folks can simply hit all their cooldowns every time they're up, the GWF is far more tactical. Which is something I love and the more complex a class the better. The fact that this allows a well played GWF to top dmg numbers "overall" in a dungeon makes sense. When you think about... Most everything is a pack of MoBs and so your AoE is amazing. I'm not sold on anyone being #1 on a single target as Rogues should put us to shame there. However until we can measure those numbers its all just dungeon numbers and not the best indicator of performance during key mechanics or fights.

Well, i agree with all you're saying. I'm used to preforming above average in any mmo i was playing but i just couldn't make this work until 30ish. I'm mainly referring to dungeons as i had no problem soloing stuff or even holding my own in pvp.

However, while there is a lot of complaining about early gwf experience, you don't really see anyone at max level with some gear crying. In fact there are more praise posts then otherwise. Which leads me to believe that topping charts in end game isn't exclusive to the most skilled gwf's.

Again, to me based on what people say, the balance seems way off.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, i agree with all you're saying. I'm used to preforming above average in any mmo i was playing but i just couldn't make this work until 30ish. I'm mainly referring to dungeons as i had no problem soloing stuff or even holding my own in pvp.

However, while there is a lot of complaining about early gwf experience, you don't really see anyone at max level with some gear crying. In fact there are more praise posts then otherwise. Which leads me to believe that topping charts in end game isn't exclusive to the most skilled gwf's.

Again, to me based on what people say, the balance seems way off.

Yeah I am reserving opinions until I get ample experience with everything first-hand. Regardless of how I might like to think that everyone on the forums is accurate, honest and reliable... well... So I plan on a lot of T2 dungeon runs with different builds, gear, etc to see what works and how well.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I don't get all the raging on GWF is about. For me it's the only non-boring class I've played (CW & TR as well). Sprint is great once you figure out when to use it, and actually I find myself not using it on purpose alot. I'll take my "red zone" hits, it's the dance back and forth from the mobs front to back to avoid the big stuns/shield smashes that is important. Avoiding those so you can keep swinging is what drops mobs fast. Position, position, position, even with your AoE. I swear I am more active with my GWF then I ever was with my TR. I'm only 25, but if this class keeps getting better, then I made the right choice for my play style.
  • Options
    etmorsetmors Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I agree I love the class and yes I have played the others I do great damage on him u just have to take some hits
  • Options
    brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Your first mistake was rolling a GWF. It'll be a bigger mistake if you stick with it. - Garbage.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    brakkish1 wrote: »
    Your first mistake was rolling a GWF. It'll be a bigger mistake if you stick with it. - Garbage.

your garbage, not the class