test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Companions please? Classed Companions? Racial Companions?

psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
After reading the Companion description thread, I realized that there are many iconic classical companions missing from the selection. Things such as Wizard/Sorcerer Familiars, Ranger/Druid Animal Companions, Street Urchin, Squire, Acolyte, Page, etc...

Some of these would need to be Class Specific Companions, such as in the case of Familiars and Animal Companions.

Or, as in the case of Animal Companions, perhaps these can go to higher levels than those owned by non-Druids/Rangers or Wizard Sorcerers.

Perhaps even allowing the existing Companions to all have Class/Non-Class differences. The Man at Arms is a Warrior Class Companion, and can get 5 or ten levels higher with a Warrior than a non-Warrior. The Black cat is a Wizard Companion, and can get 5 or 10 levels higher with a Wizard than a non-Wizard. The Cleric Companion for Clerics, not sure what for Rogues.

I for one would love to see Psuedo Dragons, Imps, Quasits, Hin Rogue, Elven Archer, Dwarven Defender, etc
Psyb3rTr011
AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
Post edited by psyb3rtr011 on

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Badda Bump
    Psyb3rTr011
  • Options
    jakijuki1jakijuki1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    add diversity! Racial, classbased and pure random companions
  • Options
    skstylezskstylez Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Disagree, the point of a companion is to have someone by my side that can play any role that i don't. Variety is welcomed tho
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    skstylez wrote: »
    Disagree, the point of a companion is to have someone by my side that can play any role that i don't. Variety is welcomed tho

I disagree. In most of the RPG's I have played, you routinely have a follower (Read: Companion) who is drawn to your side because he wants to apprentice under you, be just like you, etc. Knights and their Squires. Clerics and their Acolytes, Rogues and their Scoundrels, Wizards and their Apprentices. All of these are expected to be loyal henchmen when you later build your Keep, Church, Thieves Guild, Mage Tower, etc...

Now, what I could see, is one of these Companions could be permanently tied to you, you providing the training for instance, and another non Class Specific Companion, is able to join you.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • Options
    elvanilelvanil Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I disagree. In most of the RPG's I have played, you routinely have a follower (Read: Companion) who is drawn to your side because he wants to apprentice under you, be just like you, etc. Knights and their Squires. Clerics and their Acolytes, Rogues and their Scoundrels, Wizards and their Apprentices. All of these are expected to be loyal henchmen when you later build your Keep, Church, Thieves Guild, Mage Tower, etc...

Now, what I could see, is one of these Companions could be permanently tied to you, you providing the training for instance, and another non Class Specific Companion, is able to join you.

A Cleric might attract a repentant thief. A Paladin might attract a bard that wishes to catalog and sing of his valor. A Wizard might attract a superstitious and awed barbarian.

While you're correct that it's routine for that to happen, what you say should not be taken to the point where it excludes the many other possibilities that can make for as good or sometimes even better stories.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elvanil wrote: »
    A Cleric might attract a repentant thief. A Paladin might attract a bard that wishes to catalog and sing of his valor. A Wizard might attract a superstitious and awed barbarian.

While you're correct that it's routine for that to happen, what you say should not be taken to the point where it excludes the many other possibilities that can make for as good or sometimes even better stories.

These are in addition to the normal Companions, and the stories that accompany them, that already exist.

This concept came to me, when I thought about the traditional "Classed" Companions, you know Familiars and Animal Companions, in D&D.

My idea being, each Class/Race can get one "Permanently Tied" Companion, and have opther generic "Hireling" Companions, that you can only have one at a time with you while adventuring, the others in training.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • Options
    jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well cryptic games are known for much diversity so i would guess these things will eventually become available.
    But i wouldnt mind if it would happen soon ^^
  • Options
    rjax097rjax097 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As long as there are the companions that anyone can use. I like being a rogue with an animal companion. I wanted the Tomb Spider that was available during bw2 and 3, hoping they bring it back.
  • Options
    mantiddmantidd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given that more companions will be a good money maker for this game I almost guarantee it will come. I would at least like the books for our current companions so we can get them to 30. Especially for us GWFs who rely on our wee cleric companion!

I could see class restricted companions eventually as well, but there is a better reception and better overall return for companions that work on all classes/races.
    15.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mantidd wrote: »
    Given that more companions will be a good money maker for this game I almost guarantee it will come. I would at least like the books for our current companions so we can get them to 30. Especially for us GWFs who rely on our wee cleric companion!

I could see class restricted companions eventually as well, but there is a better reception and better overall return for companions that work on all classes/races.

True, all things equal. However, if each character was allowed either a Class or Race Restricted Companion, that could be in addition to a Generic Companion (Two Companions at a time), and/or if that Class or Race Restricted Companion could get to a higher level than the Generic Companions, I believe you would get a better reception and better overall return for companions.
    Psyb3rTr011
  • Options
    luvvyyyluvvyyy Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What level will my Trickster get a companion? Mine is level 15 and still no companion.
  • Options
    mrtorturemrtorture Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    They first should work on the current companions.. seems like the only ones that worth are the common cleric and the cat... striker's should have better dps cuz theyre useless atm