test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heal targeting

airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
There are a few threads about targeting however they have been archived with all the other closed beta threads.

I understand that you are supposed to aim to target but the way the aiming is now doesn't work well enough for the single target heals.

Here is my suggestion: add target locking just for the single target heals (and maybe allow to lock on a couple of targets because stuff moves around).

That is not done by pressing a hot key but by pressing your heal, doing a mouse over on your targets, get a couple of targets locked (as if you can only lock onto one there is no point for this feature), then press the skill again to fire the heal.

This is a system that TERA uses and allows you to still be aware of your surroundings while healing people without resorting to heal bar clicking and you can actually heal the people you meant to heal.

Also one thing I wonder: is there a way to deactivate the target assist? It really annoys me when I am trying to heal the tank, but the target system decides to get the rogue right next to him. If there is a way to deactivate it it would be already helpful. Although I fear that with the free camera this will create another problem...
Post edited by airlian on

Comments

• deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    As long as there's an option to turn it off, I'm fine with it. I don't want to have to hold down buttons along with all the other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> I'm doing lol

I just drop massive AE healing and it's all good.
  • airlianairlian Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are not holding buttons down. You are pressing once, moving your bouse, pressing again.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Still more work than I want to do on top of everything else :)
  • angrynordangrynord Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @Deistik u have no idea what u are talking about so pls stfu, the targeting system in TERA is VERY VERY good for healers..
    The healing system here specially the targeting for heals is the worst i have seen ever.. what is the point of single target heal skills when I cant target anyone because of Companions or other people with full health run in the way. This issue needs to be addressed, or change teh single target heal skill we have to heal the whole party..
    edited May 2013
    angrynord wrote: »
    @Deistik u have no idea what u are talking about so pls stfu

No, you. lol

I don't need to target since I heal everything at once. /shrug

All I asked for was the option to not use it, get off your high horse, brother.
  • purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    He didn't say anything about TERA so what the hell is your problem? Telling someone to stfu just because you didn't like it is pretty immature. You think its the worst targeting system then go back to TERA , you <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    lol.no matter how much you ask for it, and want it, cuz you are used to a different way, you are not getting tab targeting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
    edited May 2013
    Thunderspanker: Who has talked about tab targeting? People can you read my original post properly? It's all about keeping the aiming without employing tab targeting or keys. The solution found by the devs to avoid that was aim assist, but it's the wrong solution.

Also to Deistik: You want to DPS? I find that if I can target the way I described it (which is the way it's done in TERA, hence Angrynord mentioned it) I can do DPS because I am not wasting my time trying to correct the auto aim that inevitably will heal the wrong person because he's standing next to the tank. So while I am wasting time do that, I am not doing DPS. It's not a lot of work, you have to see it in action, explaining it doesn't give it justice. Also if you are really so worried about DPS go play CW. I do like to DPS on my cleric, in fact I try to be as offensive as possible, but my first priority will be trying to keep people alive because nobody else can.

Another thing you waste aside from precious time by trying to correct the aim assist, is your divine power. When you need to use your channelled heal and it goes on the wrong target... well it's healing you haven't used on the right one which needs to be recharged.

You know if games in closed beta were more concerned with inviting people with the right gaming experience (for example those who have played similar games before) than having people pay to help them QC, a lot of problems would be fixed a lot quicker. This is still beta, yes, but certain problems are obvious from the very first hours of play, and they would be noted quickly by people who know what to look for.
  • maxpoweryomaxpoweryo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea i agree, something has to be done about this. Taregting a low health ally who is in the middle of 3 players, 5 companions and 20 adds is close to impossible. Its just mindblowing how a system like that could make it through the closed beta.
  • quttidebachiquttidebachi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    airlian wrote: »
    Also to Deistik: You want to DPS? I find that if I can target the way I described it (which is the way it's done in TERA, hence Angrynord mentioned it) I can do DPS because I am not wasting my time trying to correct the auto aim that inevitably will heal the wrong person because he's standing next to the tank. So while I am wasting time do that, I am not doing DPS. It's not a lot of work, you have to see it in action, explaining it doesn't give it justice. Also if you are really so worried about DPS go play CW. I do like to DPS on my cleric, in fact I try to be as offensive as possible, but my first priority will be trying to keep people alive because nobody else can.

When did Deistik mention Dps? In group he plays a pure healer except for the minimal dps provided by at-will spam for divinity gain. What he said was forget the single target heal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and just AOE heal and cover everyone. No problems with targeting then. And trying to use the channeled heal is complete fail and waste of divinity. If ONE person in the group is running really low they need to chug instead of waiting for a cleric to chase them and lock them down.
    Qutti'Debachi - Cleric
    <Rarely Sober> - Beholder
    edited May 2013
    When did Deistik mention Dps? In group he plays a pure healer except for the minimal dps provided by at-will spam for divinity gain. What he said was forget the single target heal <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> and just AOE heal and cover everyone. No problems with targeting then. And trying to use the channeled heal is complete fail and waste of divinity. If ONE person in the group is running really low they need to chug instead of waiting for a cleric to chase them and lock them down.

Actually he didn't say it. I blame it on the lack of coffee.

What you say about single target heals is all good and well, but you have them, and it would be nice to use them. People need to self sustain, yes, they need to block/dodge, yes, but the fact that people have to use potions because the cleric can't target them is a sign of a broken system. I find AOE healing is often not enough, and using a single targeted heal shouldn't be fail. It is now because you can't target people.

In all classes some skills will be more useful than others, but in this case the problem lies not in the class' skill in itself, but in an external mechanic, which is the lackluster aim system.
  • vomkvomk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    No problem with the system as it is now, maybe you should just get better at aiming urself, if there is 4people and I need to heal one that is behind the others, I simply jump aim him and press the healing button, or just run a bit to the side.
  • gravityx19gravityx19 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    I have a feeling this will get fixed as people adapt to the system. Once they learn that they cannot stand on top of each other and survive, it will become so much easier.
    Griff Hawk - Hybrid GF - Beholder Shard
    Griffeth - GW Fighter - Beholder Shard
    Twitch - WoW and NWO Gameplay - YouTube Channel
    GF/GWF Gameplay Highlights/Dungeon Runs
  • keterysketerys Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd be fine with being able to lock onto one ally as well as one enemy - then you can prime healing word for the tank.

Alternatively, fix the targeted heals to not be targeted. Healing Word could be a burst that affects all allies, or that targeted the lowest hp ally in range. At reduced effect, in both cases I'd assume.

Meantime, I'll just keep using the non-targeted heals to greater effect (and aggro, sigh).
    edited May 2013
    vomk wrote: »
    No problem with the system as it is now, maybe you should just get better at aiming urself, if there is 4people and I need to heal one that is behind the others, I simply jump aim him and press the healing button, or just run a bit to the side.

Like I said, I mentioned how the aim assist moves your aim to the wrong person. You aim towards the tank, the aim assist for some reason decides to move your cross hair onto the rogue. It's not about how well or badly I aim.

And like I said, I would rather play without the aim assist all together, to have total control on the aim and I know I would be able to target people like that, although it's still a bit of a clunky system.
    edited May 2013
    gravityx19 wrote: »
    I have a feeling this will get fixed as people adapt to the system. Once they learn that they cannot stand on top of each other and survive, it will become so much easier.

That would help too, but melee companions don't think like that alas.
    edited May 2013
    keterys wrote: »
    I'd be fine with being able to lock onto one ally as well as one enemy - then you can prime healing word for the tank.

Alternatively, fix the targeted heals to not be targeted. Healing Word could be a burst that affects all allies, or that targeted the lowest hp ally in range. At reduced effect, in both cases I'd assume.

Meantime, I'll just keep using the non-targeted heals to greater effect (and aggro, sigh).

So turn all heals into AOE. Well that's a way to fix it I suppose. :)
  • blindprophetblindprophet Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vomk wrote: »

The thing is that's not a solution. That's a heavy handed work around to a clunky system that is an utter pain in the *** at times. Nor does said work around help if say you've got a clear shot lined up and suddenly just as you're about to hit your heal the rogue, or whomever, dodges out of the 'bad touch zone' and into your crosshairs causing your heal to go to him and essentially be wasted.

I've had this happen on multiple occasions. Clear line, then someone needs to dodge/reposition and wham heal to the wrong person...and the person who needed the healing is now in a worse spot and I have to spend more resources (time, cooldowns, divine power) to do my job. This is through no fault of my own, but the systems in place.

All I really want is a system that allows me to quickly be able to get the right heals to the right people that the situation calls for. I'd love to be able to put my single target heal back on my bar but its simply not efficient to have it there given the ease of landing it on anyone but the one I'm trying to hit with it. I should not have to fight against the game in order to be efficient.
  • jackmeister6969jackmeister6969 Member Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Well for me, I really dont have issues with the targetting system. Improving it would be facerolling already. I like the realistic feel of having difficulty healing someone in the middle of a crowd. I love the thrill of losing a cd intended for another person, It makes you think and thats what makes it perfect.
  • cookjkcookjk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    Never played DarkFall did you?

Nothing needs to be fixed we need better healers!
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Since groups are only 5 people atm perhaps just using the F1, F2, F3, and F4 keys to soft target a party member fast without having companions and other players pass in front of your target and steal the heal.

Any movement of the mouse would break the 'soft lock'. F1 being the player beneath you on the list and so forth.

Simple... and people who don't want to use it does not have to or can even unbind the hotkey or set it to something else.
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • rhazael1984rhazael1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    think the best way to fix it is to make the single target heals "smart heals", as in healing the lowest HP person first.

meaning you just have to aim in the general direction (10 ft sphere) of the target to be able to heal it.