test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I'm about to hide in my bunker for suggesting this but...

theskymootheskymoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
... I see an awful lot of people saying they would happily pay a monthly sub to the game yet they won't pay/don't like the idea of paying for Zen etc... which I kind of understand. However...

I just terminated my sub to EVE for the time being and will be using the money I used to pay for that to invest in Zen once a month here which got me to thinking...

As long as you don't lose your sh*t somewhere down the line, wake up with your bank balance at ZERO covering in your own feculance with nothing to show for it but a few blue items from lockboxes it seems like a reasonable compromise. Ok, so you won't be able to buy much straight up but if you save that Zen then in a couple of months you could buy something pretty decent.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're prepared to pay a sub, why don't you adopt a strategy like this and then everyone's happy?

I shall retreat a safe distance now and watch the flame war begin.
Post edited by theskymoo on

Comments

• theskymootheskymoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2013
    I've seen loads more threads cropping up with the sub argument in I thought I'd *bump* this...
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather pay a small subscription than have a constantly broken game/economy. I imagine it'd also remove a large chunk of the player base, for better and for worse.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    I think most people have a false expectation that a subscription would remove things from the zen store.
    The thing is there's nothing in the zen shop on NW which isn't in the cash shops on other MMO's.

I can see suggesting improvements on the prices, that makes perfect sense to me, but a subscription model wouldn't remove the cash shop or overly effect the prices, if at all.

Subscriptions exist for one purpose and one purpose only: to gate content. Neverwinter doesn't gate any content so when I read those requests my first thought is "sub for what!?"

If the sub is just to get lower Zen store prices toss the sub bit and simply deal with the problem: the zen store prices.
  • jakula1jakula1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no problem with games that have a subscription plus a cash shop. I would pay a subscription if certain aspects of the cash shop were removed and replaced with options that could be purchased with in game currency. Some mounts and fluff and exp potions in the cash shop would be fine.

Mind you I am also somewhat happy with the current system that is in place. Although if it was up to me some of the pricing would be changed as it is currently a little too expensive.
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think most people have a false expectation that a subscription would remove things from the zen store.
    The thing is there's nothing in the zen shop on NW which isn't in the cash shops on other MMO's.
    I suppose that expectation is a misconception, isn't it? Though subscription models usually infer a sense of obligation by the publisher/developer to maintain a high-quality game for a longer period of time and it expresses confidence from the publisher/developer that they'll be able to meet that obligation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • kittledorfkittledorf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I rather have "coming soon" content coming now :D so i know what i spend my money on. I enjoy the game, and i see nothing wrong with spending money on this title it's fun simple is that. But its very very shallow not even the five classes is done yet, i mean camon.
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    The best option in my mind would be subscription offer some sort of bonuses (like you can use gold at AD vendors, xp/gold/etc boosts) and a monthly stipend of Zen. Say 500 or so.
    That said, we could just pay a small amount each month for a regular balance of Zen, even without a subscription model :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

At least they are usually not much better than what you can get from in-game vendors AND they are account unlocks. Altoholism and most F2P games don't really mix.
    edited May 2013
    shahualing wrote: »
    That doesn't solve the problem of it taking 6 months to get basic items by spending 15$ a month.
    Basic items? The only items in the Zen store, besides respecs and character slots, perhaps, are not necessary and don't provide you much direct benefit over something that you could level to earn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2013
    calamintha wrote: »
    At least they are usually not much better than what you can get from in-game vendors AND they are account unlocks. Altoholism and most F2P games don't really mix.

Neverwinter charges $5 for two additional slots which are permanently unlocked. Forever.
    That's by no stretch of the imagination a bad deal.

If there is one thing which basically ever player can agree is a fair price in the Zen store it's character slots.

I mean look at DDO. Pay 15 dollars a month and get X amount of slots. Stop paying 15 dollars a month and you lose access to all characters in non-purchased slots. Ew.
    I'd rather throw 15 dollars at Cryptic and get 6 additional slots permanently.
  • calaminthacalamintha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter charges $5 for two additional slots which are permanently unlocked. Forever.
    That's by no stretch of the imagination a bad deal.

It's not. I already bought 4 extra character slots though now I realize WHY they are so cheap compared to other games.
    edited May 2013
    Identify scrolls drop like candy.
    I have no issue getting more ID Scroll drops than the number of items I identify.
    I simply accept that not everything has to be identified and I sell them for a lower value. Most items are not going to be the super epic amazing high value items.

It's only a problem if you insist on identifying every single item.
    In which case you can basically get 50 scrolls a day just from invoking at a campfire twice.

They're dirt cheap. Not a problem in my eye.
  • darkfie1ddarkfie1d Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I can see suggesting improvements on the prices, that makes perfect sense to me, but a subscription model wouldn't remove the cash shop or overly effect the prices, if at all.

Subscriptions exist for one purpose and one purpose only: to gate content. Neverwinter doesn't gate any content so when I read those requests my first thought is "sub for what!?"

If the sub is just to get lower Zen store prices toss the sub bit and simply deal with the problem: the zen store prices.

Now by this I mean no insult or in no way I'm trying to promote other games or services it's merely a suggestion among the examples that we have.

That said, I think SWTOR is a perfect example that a game can survive as both F2P with cash shop and Subscription. I was a sub there when F2P model launched, they gave us complementary cartel coins on a monthly basis. But I can also admit that the f2p model was heavily dependant on the cash shop there were some outrageous stuff that I prefered to pay a monthly sub than unlock separately through the cartel market.

True, an easy way to get Identifying Scrolls is to go to Blacklake Dist and kill anything that moves, easy work especially if you're +15.
  • someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If you don't have any other expensive hobbies, spending money on a game like this really isn't very expensive, even if you do go the 'bad' way and just use all your zen to buy AP/gear.
  • sableshrikesableshrike Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Concert? Forget concert, man. When's the last time you went out to a bar for the night with friends. You buy one single round of shots, et cetera, you're looking at a bill close to $60. Maybe more.

There's many stupid things we can do to throw cash away, and I've just never felt too bad about using it for things like this. This's something I very much enjoy, and unlike the booze it's not detrimental to my health and utterly ephemeral.

We spend far more cash on far stupider <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> than MMO's every dang day.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I would like to know, is why the wedding outfit costs $30.00. What exactly makes it worth thirty dollars for a single costume for only one character?
    $6.00 for respec is underhanded at best.

The scrolls and bags are easy to work around. You get large bags just questing, and scrolls drop like crazy.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • ralandarralandar Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am one of those people who would happily pay a subscription fee. For someone like me, it just takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation. I think LOTRO's subscription tiers are a good example of this. If you subscribe, you get most of the "gates" removed and a small amount of currency per month. I don't buy a ton of stuff from the online stores in these games, so the company would probably end up getting more money from me through a subscription plan than through a F2P model. I'm willing to bet there are quite a few others out there just like me.
  • caleshhcaleshh Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2013
    Great another ****ing Zen post.....please end post....nothing here that hasnt already been said
  • bobzebrickbobzebrick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    $15 a month for the infinite possibilities of Eve or WoW... or $30 here for one purple companion. That's 2 whole months of AAA sub MMO with no restrictions. How many people will still be playing this is 2 months? My guess is not very many. The problem isn't the fact I have to buy stuff, it's the completely disproportional pricing that is the issue here.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd rather pay a small subscription than have a constantly broken game/economy. I imagine it'd also remove a large chunk of the player base, for better and for worse.

There may come a sub option where must more is for free...but getting rid of the Zen store youll never see. Not as long as PW exists. Thats what theyve based all their games around and build their marketing on.

I knew Neverwinter would be a short fun ride for me anyway and I plan on not investing any further at all after my Guardian pack.

Anyone who buys from the Zen store, supports a overprized and bad system. Remember that, next time you get a respec token or buy a 24 slot bag.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • raaizeraaize Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Please explain as that makes no sense to me at all.
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have no issue getting more ID Scroll drops than the number of items I identify.
    I simply accept that not everything has to be identified and I sell them for a lower value. Most items are not going to be the super epic amazing high value items.

It's only a problem if you insist on identifying every single item.
    In which case you can basically get 50 scrolls a day just from invoking at a campfire twice.

They're dirt cheap. Not a problem in my eye.

I do Identify everything, and I've just ran out of Scrolls at level 23.

And now for some basic maths. You can earn 5000 AD for less than 2 hours work through Rhix's dailies (1 Foundry, 1 Dungeon and 1 Skirmish). Up to level 60 you'll be spending at most 45 AD per scroll, now just for that 5000 AD you can buy 111 Scrolls every day. (333 up too level 29 and 40 at level 60).

Combined with the drops and the ones from the Adventurer's Reward kits you should have more than enough to keep ID'ing everyting you find.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    raaize wrote: »
    Please explain as that makes no sense to me at all.

If you look at other freemium MMOs besides Champions Online and Star Trek Online, they limit content like raids to subscribers or have to pay a fee to access the content if you are a F2Per. Sometimes this fee is a monthly fee. They could also restrict access to crafting or selling items on the Auction House. The prices might be outrageous here for some things, but at least they don't prevent people from using parts of the game. Not sure if this is what ambinisterr meant.