test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF lv40+, They do get better Here is Why

zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I have played GWF to lv 40 in Beta 4 and Open Beta, Once with a Power Crit DPS build another, With Defense Deflection.

Now towards the late 30s and after 40 a few players have posted that the GWF gets "better" in these levels. This to me, stuck me as odd, as in these levels the GWF gets no new significant power. Not until lv 45 at least.

What I did notice though is that when I played both times all I did was follow the quest chains, Srg Knox tells go to that zone I clear the zone of all quests go to next zone and repeat. Probably what most players do. So when you enter these new zones the mobs are a lv or two higher than you the are challenging that way. After lv 40 I notice I am entering new zones at a higher level compared to the mobs than I used too. The first time I faced Drow I was 2 levels higher than they were and they were push overs. I was beginning to think the mobs where not scaling properly until I fought the lv 59 Drow at lv 57. Then the familiar Great potion drinker was born again.

But in higher levels you have a lot more quests too choose from well more than you need just to reach 60 so I did not continue fighting the over leveled drow I went to another zone instead.

So my advice to all GWF is pay close attention to the mobs levels you are fighting. If they are higher than you level up on some foundry missions as they will be equal to your level. At least until the devs finally get off there butts and buff the GWF.
Post edited by zardoz007 on

Comments

• arcinetharcineth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Today I dueled a GWF 1v1 for a capture point in hotenow domination. I'm a guardian fighter.

Neither of us dodged, just sat there and did our moves one after another at each other.

I didn't even bother to block, and he was dead when I was still at 75% life.

Even though I am specced for very high single target damage, I shouldn't be slapping GWFs around so easily, and having a giant sword slap me in the face should actually hurt.
  • banicksbanicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited May 2013
    I think GWFs are the same balancing act that Blizzard couldn't fit in with DPS warriors.

There is a rumor floating around that they will receive an 'aura' buff to at least give a party/raid incentive to keep them around. But at the moment they're a wasted spot giving nothing that can't be done better by everything else. And even introducing this aura, they would become nothing more than paladins were in the early days, buff beetches.
    Oceanic Neverwinter Online Guild: http://19thbattalion.com/
    edited May 2013
    That analogy is horse **** banicks. DPS warriors have always been incredibly powerful in WoW. If you want to make a comparison to WoW, compare GWF with Ret Paladins. Every expansion, paladins would receive an overhaul of some sort and ret would be INVARIABLY be buffed to be competetive, then whiners would cause it to be nerfed back down to uselessness. This is whats going to happen to GWF. In the event that they receive buffs and are properly *****smacking people, the angsty teenager rogues will whine and cry about it, and GWF will be nerfed. I'm saving this post and will remind everyone that I called it when it happens.
  • kenpkenp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cmon guys, don't make me feel so depressed about my GWF....:(

I mean, it's not like I usually place 2nd or 3rd in dps in the level 40 dungeons~ (currently 42), and it's not like I aoe adds and groups of mobs to death with my WMS and Slam~

I must say though, fighting a TR or a CW in pvp is so painful....TR has the damage to burn me down so fast while I deal dismal dmg in return, and CW has all dem CCs to keep me away in a distance (but then, that's their role lol)

tbh, I feel GWF are fine as they are, maybe buff their damage scaling with weapons a little bit...? I have 1.7kish power on my GWF and I still deal something like 300 dmg non-crits~ lol
    edited May 2013
    Jesus christ thats abysmal. What the **** is going on. My cleave at-will (I'm GF) does 600-900 non-crit and I'm only 45. And it hits nearly everything in front of me, and swings fast as hell.
    edited May 2013
    arcineth wrote: »
    Jesus christ thats abysmal. What the **** is going on. My cleave at-will (I'm GF) does 600-900 non-crit and I'm only 45. And it hits nearly everything in front of me, and swings fast as hell.
    yea my WMS hits for like 350-450 frontal strike non-crits with 500-600 non-crits of the back strike.

but it takes like 2 seconds to execute the whole animation when not in Unstoppable...and in heated boss fights with adds/boss firing aoe's everywhere, dat 2 second can mean life or death. GWF is so helpless against very mobile bosses that it's kind of painful tbh.
  • darkstarmjpdarkstarmjp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm 39 on my GWF now and I have a lvl 60 trickster rogue. My experience is they're weak low level, in the 10's and 20's I only managed due to having that OP blue from the founders pack and loads of pots. In the 30's they started to get better in fact I did several skirmishes, dungeons and came 2nd in DPS just under the trickster rogue.

To get the good DPS you have to put a lot of work into it getting into the right position to do the most AOE damage.

I have found I died a lot more than on my trickster rogue I didn't think they would be so squishy. ;\
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    arcineth wrote: »

They obviously mixed up our skills? I hope my at-will slice TRIPLES in damage in the next 10 levels. Try doing that same test with a rogue, im pretty sure a rogue would do the same thing to a GWF, they're just so beefy they can fight upfront, they arnt half as squishy as people think. I only got 26 AC... armor gives 10.. dunno where the other 6 is from, but its .5% mitigation per AC... so a naked rogue would have 8% less mitigation. HP? Do rogues EVER get cons anyways? The base hp difference is probably somewhere around 10-15%... the rest is just Con, and build.
    edited May 2013
    ^ yea that too. Unless you build your GWF around the Sentinel tree and stack defense, you are gonna be squishy as hell~ doesn't help the fact that GWF also don't really have any survival skills (except Unstoppable and Restorative Strike....but 50% dmg reduction against bosses that still hit for quite a lot is kind of useless...and Restorative Strike life steal is also pretty dismal around level 40+ range)

cleric companions at that level also die really really fast (wish they gave an option to rank it up past 15)
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Folks, do not forget about beta 2 and 3 and what GWF were, animals, they got hit with the nerf bat badly. This is even stated by the devs in beta 3 stating the GWF were dropped in power in one pass and this is a direct quote: "Are still a bit strong", guess what, they got dropped that last little bit and now are the bottom of the rung compared to wizards, rogues and guardians. Still they are average middle of the road do nothings now capable of being that wallflower.

I still play mine in the hopes they will fix them a bit or bring the other classes in line. As for PVE, they are just fine, they can survive, do damage, anything the other classes do, though just not as well or as flashy, by the time I wind up for some of my aoe's most of the mobs are dead in parties and it takes a country sunday to finally get the constant sword swings to build up to decent damage, again, by then rogues and wizards have killed everything. They are no longer the go to class they were at beta 2.

Though still fun to play in my eyes.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The biggest problem is they lack a spammable AOE from level 1. Even my Guardian Fighter straight from level 1 gets a spammable AOE damage to just plow through packs of mobs where as with the GWF I'm blowing cool downs to do the same. That is why most GWF's I talk to say 35+ is good, cause you get the new AOE based At-Will attack. You do get the spin-up-charge but that makes you have to take ground based or long animation attacks (think Officers/Ogres/etc all do a knockback) so it just isn't viable by comparison to have to just sit there and take it while you charge it up.

The over all problem is the GWF is this hybrid DPSer who doesn't quite have the same AOE/CC of a Control Wizard and doesn't have the same single target damage of a TR. Most hybrids are rarely worth <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in these kinds of games because they end up being weaker in both because they have both which just leaves them weak.

That all said it seems there's plenty of people willing/wanting to play them. On top of that, I usually end up throwing away/not using most of my pots on my Guardian and Control Wizard. Having to use them probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
    nwsignature.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Yea I'm not ditching my GWF. I put too much time and effort into building her to her current state.

though I may need to respec when I hit level 60...made some mistakes on power upgrades/purchases and feature tree points....
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    arktourosx wrote: »
    The biggest problem is they lack a spammable AOE from level 1. Even my Guardian Fighter straight from level 1 gets a spammable AOE damage to just plow through packs of mobs where as with the GWF I'm blowing cool downs to do the same. That is why most GWF's I talk to say 35+ is good, cause you get the new AOE based At-Will attack. You do get the spin-up-charge but that makes you have to take ground based or long animation attacks (think Officers/Ogres/etc all do a knockback) so it just isn't viable by comparison to have to just sit there and take it while you charge it up.

The over all problem is the GWF is this hybrid DPSer who doesn't quite have the same AOE/CC of a Control Wizard and doesn't have the same single target damage of a TR. Most hybrids are rarely worth <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in these kinds of games because they end up being weaker in both because they have both which just leaves them weak.

That all said it seems there's plenty of people willing/wanting to play them. On top of that, I usually end up throwing away/not using most of my pots on my Guardian and Control Wizard. Having to use them probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

It's not he paragon Path At-will that makes the GWF "better" we get Wicked Strike at lv 20 and the two moves are very comparable. I still think Master Strike is "better" in the sense that it buffs the other at-will you are using. But alone they are very comparable.
  • furyinstinctfuryinstinct Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For whatever reason I can't post my own thread so I will ask here.

What is the best thing to do for my GWF. I am level 17 right. Should I be putting pure DPS type talent choices? I have most likely pure dps choices but I have a little in defensive too.
  • pikmotionalpikmotional Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I just hit 30 today with my GWF, and for the first time ever I manage to top dps! Who would have thought. To be able to do this I had to throw away all the aoe oriented things about the class tho. My passives are single target oriented, my encounters are single target, all 3 of them. The only thing I have that does aoe dps now is wicked strike and slam. Feels like I went from being a cleaver to becoming a rogue. And thats the only way I got it to work.
  • inullableinullable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys. I've only played the GWF in bwe 2 & 3 and had a great time learning, and since open beta never died once(rarely pot spammed, just had the healer pet) until I went to the Lair of the Mad Dragon(lvl 35ish?). I've read about alot of the problems that people seem to have, but I can only pin i down to 2 things:
    1) People try to play it like a facetank....don't. Stay mobile and watch the battlefield. I try to just take out the adds and protect the groups healers...and attempt to 'control' the mobs if I can.

2) Punishing Charge used to be(BW2) a low level skill which helped immensely at staying mobile. That skill alone(imo) really makes the class shine....at least in regards to my playstyle.

Have fun and hope I may have helped! See you on the killing fields..

IGN-->Thulsa Doom
  • elspethtirelnwelspethtirelnw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I think some people may have their BWEs a bit mixed up... but that aside...

I'll throw in the fact that Sure Strike scales very poorly at 60 as our power and crit increase. Regardless of spec or build, you may as well just use WMS unless a fight requires more mobility vs a single target. The At-Will took a serious hit in BW4 and could use some attention moving forward.

I'd much rather have the GFs Cleave in Sure Strikes current state, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to trade. :o
    | Banners of the Light | Recruitment is open | End Game PvE and PvP |
    | Lust | Level 60 Guardian Fighter 15.8k GS|