test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GWF shop talk during mainteance, no haters

touzsantouzsan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Let's talk shop GWF. I'm enjoying my gwf, I'm almost lv20. I have a question for you higher level gwf, which paragon did you choose and why? I think I'm going to choose "Slayer" sinces it sounds like a dps spec. Do you slayers like your choice or does it suck and why??
Post edited by touzsan on

Comments

• idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What do you mean slayer? I see Instigator, Destroyer, or...the tank one, for paragon paths. They all got some goodies, you'll notice they also lean towards certain dailies/encounter powers, so if you fall in love with some certain skills, pick a path that makes them better.
  • touzsantouzsan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    ok i meant the destoryer i guess the middle one with the cool title :P
  • fcrowlesfcrowles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 136 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Destroyer is the only viable spec at the moment. There are three builds currently posted. Two use destroyer, focusing the damage on Slam. The other uses Instigator. In my opinion he instigator build that was posted is really bad. The sentinel path has so many bugged feats its not worth going at the moment.
  • idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm going to be trying instigator.. If you KNOW a GWF is an Instigator then just hitting them will negate his huge damage bonus, otherwise its amazing, plus doubly so for PvE.
  • horsepantshorsepants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Instigator is actually decent. Giving your party combat advantage and having 50 percent increased power at almost all times is pretty nice. It also makes wicked strike do 5 percent more damage per unit hit, so it crushes in multi target fights. I feel like it is on the same level and possible better in PvE

Destroyer is the way to go for PvP/PvE build. You can pretty much tell why just from just playing the toon.

Sentinel has bugs I heard. I also don't think it can produce enough threat for your tanking to be useful even when it works. Avoid this until further changes.

The class gets called underpowered due to the people complaining pre level 60. I've done well in every PvP so far, and I'm always first or 2nd on DPS in PvE.
  • possum440possum440 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    At level 24.5 I took my GWF to the crypts to see how far I could solo through it, this is listed as a 24-31 dungeon and is fairly big. In two hours I made it to the final boss and died horribly as I was restricted to a very small enclosed area. That said, the rest of it was fun and challenging, had I been able to run the main boss around I would have beat it also. The defensive traits are not as bad a some have state and a copious amount of deflecting made for a ton of damage mitigation. Coupled with my cleric companion my GWF did very well and I snagged some decent loot from the bosses prior to the end. made level 26 and change, Just a long run I wouldn't do again. All equip was defense, deflect and armor penetrate stats with appropriate gems. Mostly blue gear with a couple greens, 5.9k health. in two hours I used 8 health potions in tight spots. Cleric companion at level 15 was invaluable, without the companion it would have been impossible with some of the bosses.

By 60 I hope a rogue isn't able to one shot me in pvp, but for pve, a pretty fun build. Full sentinel build with as much mitigation I can put in it. level 28 now and still having a blast.
    There is no worse feeling in the world than the moment during an argument you realize you are wrong.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm thinking about going instigator once servers come back up now that I'm fairly well geared. That +10% power buff that stacks up to 50% is looking awfully tastey.
  • extinction777extinction777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 185 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm thinking about going instigator once servers come back up now that I'm fairly well geared. That +10% power buff that stacks up to 50% is looking awfully tastey.

It is very tasty and scales hard as you get better geared :)

I think both destroyer and instigator are viable specs which is a good thing.

Play your unstoppable meter and slam the same way as you would in destroyer. If you use your encounters during unstoppable with end game gear with decent recovery you will have slam up often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Extinction - GWF
  • purutzilpurutzil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Destroyer and Instigator are the two best paths. Destroyer I feel though is stronger by a good bit. PvE has less of an advantage for Destroyer over Instigator but i feel from just how its set up and playing Destroyer that they just have to much good going for them. Determination on hit is huge, particularly combining that it helps build up your AP faster which means so much more damage. Its basically non stop Unstoppable/slam spam for both flashy and strong damage potential... at least for a GWF.
    GWF level 60 (Beholder) - The pains of leveling!
    Cleric level 5X (Dragon) - Holy goblin so much easier!
  • horsepantshorsepants Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    possum440 wrote: »
    At level 24.5 I took my GWF to the crypts to see how far I could solo through it, this is listed as a 24-31 dungeon and is fairly big. In two hours I made it to the final boss and died horribly as I was restricted to a very small enclosed area. That said, the rest of it was fun and challenging, had I been able to run the main boss around I would have beat it also. The defensive traits are not as bad a some have state and a copious amount of deflecting made for a ton of damage mitigation. Coupled with my cleric companion my GWF did very well and I snagged some decent loot from the bosses prior to the end. made level 26 and change, Just a long run I wouldn't do again. All equip was defense, deflect and armor penetrate stats with appropriate gems. Mostly blue gear with a couple greens, 5.9k health. in two hours I used 8 health potions in tight spots. Cleric companion at level 15 was invaluable, without the companion it would have been impossible with some of the bosses.

By 60 I hope a rogue isn't able to one shot me in pvp, but for pve, a pretty fun build. Full sentinel build with as much mitigation I can put in it. level 28 now and still having a blast.

Rogues can "1 shot" almost anything they want due to their due kit and execution daily.
  • caliban13371caliban13371 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I really want to like the GWF, but after having reached level 11, the class is sorely lacking. I grow tired of relying on my potions to survive.
  • xxsouldaggerxxxxsouldaggerxx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm actually considering going Tank spec for GWF, I mean they don't do very good damage so hey what if the (Slayer?) class became the ultimate back door capping class in dominion? Just be full on defense and power, I'm only Lv.22 But I've been doing some pvp and GWF have EXCELLENT running potential. Just avoid team fights, people kind of target you 1st knowing your weaknesses x)

Great weapon fighter playing the support role, crazy!
  • touzsantouzsan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 46
    edited May 2013
    After reading your posts I'm sure I will go with the Destroyer, I just want to pewpewpew did the tanking/healing thing in other games its my turn to DESTROY!!!! :P