test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Suggestion: Make it available through maintenance

vaultarnvaultarn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
Hey,

I'm a new player to Neverwinter Online. The Foundry feature looks great. Has there been any consideration of making the Foundry available while maintenance is happening? I know we need the login servers to be able to use it, but an alternative Foundry login access point could be done.

Server down time would be a great time for people to utilise the Foundry.

Thanks
Post edited by vaultarn on

Comments

• sentenukisentenuki Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I second this.

Additionally, I was using the Foundry when the servers went down, no warning popped up about maintenance or anything in the hour or so that I was editing. It had been a while since an edit, so I'm sure I lost some of my quest. If the Foundry requires the servers being up, then at least some warning of an upcoming server shutdown/reset/maintenance would be awesome. <3
  • ezbeeezbee Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    sentenuki wrote: »
    I second this.

Additionally, I was using the Foundry when the servers went down, no warning popped up about maintenance or anything in the hour or so that I was editing. It had been a while since an edit, so I'm sure I lost some of my quest. If the Foundry requires the servers being up, then at least some warning of an upcoming server shutdown/reset/maintenance would be awesome. <3

you do get the notifications in 3d edit mode but not in the foundry windows.
  • gelatinouscoatgelatinouscoat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    /signed.

Now (downtime) would be the perfect time to play with the foundry. Would love a stand-alone version, but am also curious as to what the benefits (from a developer perspective) there are in the always-connected variety?
  • pieces313pieces313 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. Honestly I am not sure why the foundry needs to be online any way just make it its own .exe file and let us use it any time obviously we would need to log in to upload our quest but that about it.
    actually after thinking about this I think its because, the way the map testing works. Though this is something you don't need to do every time your in the foundry so it would still be nice to have access when servers are down
  • sentenukisentenuki Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ezbee wrote: »
    you do get the notifications in 3d edit mode but not in the foundry windows.

Ah, that's cool! I was busy in the foundry windows, so yeah :(
  • vaultarnvaultarn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps one of the main considerations for being 'online' while using it is to prevent possible hacking? It's constantly checking/verifying what you're doing? With a completely offline version things could get messy? But still, if offline, when you connect it could just go through series of checks then to make sure it is all legit.
  • v0273xv0273x Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vaultarn wrote: »
    Perhaps one of the main considerations for being 'online' while using it is to prevent possible hacking? It's constantly checking/verifying what you're doing? With a completely offline version things could get messy? But still, if offline, when you connect it could just go through series of checks then to make sure it is all legit.

Actualy this is not the reason, the foundry is on a multi weave server network, as is all PWE games, or so it seems. The issue is that in all server system configurations, there is a main server hub. This is basicly the big server, its what uploads and downloads data to you and gets you on the right weave server. Weave servers are slave machines doing one specific task. The foundery is no diffrent then this.

Durring maintnence all the servers for the game has to close down for updates, cleaning, debugging, or even part changes as it is rumored one of our crashes was about. To take down a weave server without ruining the sability of said server group. you must shut them all off in certian network configurations. Though eave servers sanificantly reduce latency, and are in need of a few ajustments to do so correctly sometimes(Lag issues of late) it does pose some flaws. When one goes down, they all do. The thing is though as we proboly seen on Protectors though. The game does not lag just because there are too many in the main city, when we are in some random map. Only that one server governing that specific area.

An offline foundry would be somewhat nice, but the checksums and upload times could really screw your day over when it comes down to playing. Some maps could take hours if not days to upload. Granted you had the paitence, you could i guess do that.
  • vaultarnvaultarn Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah, I see. Thank you for the clarification. :)
  • mikemike Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah, but like me. I have nothing but time, and you could setup the offline foundry to reference things online. Granted if your making a map from scratch, it might take awhile. ;D
    Dragon:
    Tyria@nestea2015 -> Devoted Cleric (Level is changing because he's being leveled :P )

Beholder:
    Razco@nestea2015 -> Control Wizard (Possible Deletion Immiment)
  • yyrkoonstyphoonyyrkoonstyphoon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would hope the foudry worked offline so people could create regardless of up or down time of the sever. Shouldn't people build an adventure offline and upload it?
  • mrglad8mrglad8 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes of course you should be able to use this tool offline.. even if they add stuff to the tool during maintenance they should simply be applied when you restart it next time!
  • upskirtupskirt Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    perhaps there could be an offline version that will update your online version when you sync them. this means you can't change or alter any of the assets (hacking of sorts) because the online version would verify all the components. or am i just praddling on about nonsense?