test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Multi Level rooms and Item placement?

paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
Hello!

I'm trying to figure out how to place items at other levels in rooms. For Example in "Crypt Room - Huge Two Tier Chamber" You can set Y relative to Zero Altitude or Room Platform #1 (0.05) but neither sets it on the upper level.

Is this just bugged?

Is 0.05 the value for Y that it's relative to? As I know the platform definitely isn't only at 0.05.

And while placeables can have this set, doors and other rooms don't seem to be placeable in line with the upper level =/

Thanks
Paddy
Post edited by paddymaxson on

Comments

• werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    use the 3D editing mode set edit distance to max and move it that way thats what i have to do until i find a different way
    21.jpg
  • leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've been able to place things on the upper floor via the map editor by assigning a value of 80-81 for Y. However, every time I assign a Y value of 81 to a room, then attach it to the two story room, the foundry just crashes instantly.
  • ghost413ghost413 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    if you are having trouble placing npc's / encounters and other specials that cant be edited during 3D editing on the lower lvl of a multlvl room heres a tip:

1. place a static object on the upper lvl (such as a statue or pillar from the details menu)
    2. enter the room with the "play map from here option (by right clicking the room in layout mode) and enter 3D editing
    3. move the static object to a satisfying location on the lower lvl (can be a bit tedious but you only have to do this once)
    4. exit 3D editing and go back to foundry editing, select the static object so you can see its preferences and copy the value from the Y-axis field
    save the value in the private notes field under the quest tab for easy access, whenever you need to place anything at the same elevation in that room all you have to do is to copy/paste that value into the y-axis field of whatever you need to place. speeds up editing multilvl rooms a great deal.

there might be another way maybe but im a beginner at editing in foundry (so far only made one quest wich i published today) but it does the trick until another method presents itself..
  • pieces313pieces313 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been able to place things on the upper floor via the map editor by assigning a value of 80-81 for Y. However, every time I assign a Y value of 81 to a room, then attach it to the two story room, the foundry just crashes instantly.

not sure why your crashing buy I was doing this last night and this is the best way. If there are other multi level rooms you need to detail just auto populate them and find out what the y value is on each level (write this down so you don't have to keep looking for it) and use that y value for anything you need to place on that level. Also make sure your y is not set to the relative to platform as this will move its y units above said platform.
    The 3d editing other people are talking about will work but it sounds like it will take a lot longer to me.
  • crok2crok2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can also stand where you want an item and type Loc_Vec and it will give you your coordinates. Izatar's Troll Cave map used the blackdagger ruins (iirc) outside area which shows up as a completely black map in foundry. He placed everything blind! lol
  • leinahtanwcleinahtanwc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The reason I am crashing is because I am trying to connect the upper floor to another room. Placing things on the upper floor is fine, its when I attempt to connect the 2 story room to an upper level room it goes berserk.
  • paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited May 2013
    Seems the foundry is tonnes more limited than I thought it was going to be. It's not even just the scripting that's worse than NWN, it's everything :(
  • sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Seems the foundry is tonnes more limited than I thought it was going to be. It's not even just the scripting that's worse than NWN, it's everything :(

Ah... but when you understand the limits, you also come to understand how to creatively make it look like you've broken past them. In Star Trek Online, even with a lack of certain features, creative foundry authors figured out ways to fake those features.

Learn what you can do with everything and then you'll find you can do almost anything.

With STO's foundry some authors managed to do things that surpassed what Cryptic did in their best missions. But you have to LEARN the system. While a lot of Foundry functionality is drag-drop-play in nature, some things require serious understanding of what everything does and meticulous manipulation to get it to work right.

The big question anyone working with the Foundry should ask themselves is "Do I want to be a Foundry Author or a Foundry Dabbler?"

If the answer is the former, then it involves getting down and dirty with it. If the answer is the latter, then just stick to drag-drop-play and forget the idea that you can do grand, epic questlines that way.
    I'm not really a John Galt,
    but I play one on the forums...
    :P
  • kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ah... but when you understand the limits, you also come to understand how to creatively make it look like you've broken past them. In Star Trek Online, even with a lack of certain features, creative foundry authors figured out ways to fake those features.

Learn what you can do with everything and then you'll find you can do almost anything.

With STO's foundry some authors managed to do things that surpassed what Cryptic did in their best missions. But you have to LEARN the system. While a lot of Foundry functionality is drag-drop-play in nature, some things require serious understanding of what everything does and meticulous manipulation to get it to work right.

The big question anyone working with the Foundry should ask themselves is "Do I want to be a Foundry Author or a Foundry Dabbler?"

If the answer is the former, then it involves getting down and dirty with it. If the answer is the latter, then just stick to drag-drop-play and forget the idea that you can do grand, epic questlines that way.
    Mostly, you need to find the lines Cryptic left to color inside, and the crayons.
  • elysiumboundelysiumbound Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The vertical ruler detail object has been hugely helpful with the seacaves map. Ugh... that one has been a nightmare.
    edited May 2013
    Mostly, you need to find the lines Cryptic left to color inside, and the crayons.

Apparently they are not that hard to find, considering that there are already some pretty awesome foundry missions available...

There are resources out there that are useful in learning to use the Foundry. Not everything is going to be dumped in our laps. Some things we need to research for ourselves. Google and YouTube are great sources for things like this. Use them
  • cinnamonsynonymcinnamonsynonym Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Now, mind you, I might be oversimplifying things because I have almost no foundry experience (I'm in the middle of the end of semester crunch, so I've had all of about 15 minutes to **** around in it), but I feel like this has a rather simple solution...

Couldn't you just put a map transition on the second floor?

Granted, each "map" is only one floor, but the human brain still understands it went up a flight of stairs, went through an archway/door/entrance of some sort, and when it went into a new map area, ended up (presumably) in a hallway. Once again, this is coming from a guy who is woefully ignorant about the foundry still, but it seems like a kind of common sense solution.
    edited May 2013
    Apparently they are not that hard to find, considering that there are already some pretty awesome foundry missions available...
    Play a top rated nwn1 or 2 mod and get back to me on that. Maybe this one, which I wrote.
    edited May 2013
    Now, mind you, I might be oversimplifying things because I have almost no foundry experience (I'm in the middle of the end of semester crunch, so I've had all of about 15 minutes to **** around in it), but I feel like this has a rather simple solution...

Couldn't you just put a map transition on the second floor?

Granted, each "map" is only one floor, but the human brain still understands it went up a flight of stairs, went through an archway/door/entrance of some sort, and when it went into a new map area, ended up (presumably) in a hallway. Once again, this is coming from a guy who is woefully ignorant about the foundry still, but it seems like a kind of common sense solution.
    The problem is that the Foundry is currently lacking the rooms with flights of stairs. They exist in the official content, but not in the Foundry.
  • cinnamonsynonymcinnamonsynonym Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that the Foundry is currently lacking the rooms with flights of stairs. They exist in the official content, but not in the Foundry.

Ah, I see. When I heard "two floor", I assumed we were talking about a room with two floors, not a high-vaulted ceiling.
    edited May 2013
    Play a top rated nwn1 or 2 mod and get back to me on that. Maybe this one, which I wrote.

This is not Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2. If you came into this expecting it to be, then that is your mistake. Two entirely different developers with entirely different visions. There has been a significant amount of material spotlighting the Foundry and what it can and cannot do. If you didn't research the product and expected more than what has been indicated it would be, that too is your mistake.

There are many concerns that an MMO with user generated content must address that are related to copyright issues and licensing issues as well as integrity of the system that by definition negate much of the freedom of modification that could be achieved with Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 module creation. That being the case, being restricted to only official assets and from the potential ability to set up griefing mechanics.

in NWN1 and 2, all modules were run on servers managed by community members. Accessing content on those servers was always at the individual player's own risk. With this game, all UGC is hosted by Cryptic/PWE and subject to their QA process.

Now as to the staircase rooms issue with the Foundry, there may be a technical issue with getting NPC pathing to work correctly. I know that there are some maps over in Star Trek Online's UGC that have had issues like that. So it may be that part of this so-called "open beta" may involve ironing out known issues before deploying the assets they are affecting.
    edited May 2013
    This is not Neverwinter Nights 1 or 2. If you came into this expecting it to be, then that is your mistake.
    I was responding to your post about their being awesome Foundry content. Try playing top NWN1/2 content, and then get back to us on how awesome the Foundry content is. The top Foundry content just pales in comparison. As you point out, this is by design of Cryptic because of the crazy limitations, no or logic, no returning to maps, etc. These types of things have nothing to do with protecting the server system. Heck, no stairs even though they specifically exist in the game.
    edited May 2013
    I was responding to your post about their being awesome Foundry content. Try playing top NWN1/2 content, and then get back to us on how awesome the Foundry content is. The top Foundry content just pales in comparison. As you point out, this is by design of Cryptic because of the crazy limitations, no or logic, no returning to maps, etc. These types of things have nothing to do with protecting the server system. Heck, no stairs even though they specifically exist in the game.

Tell me where I suggested that Foundry content can compare with NWN1 or 2's module designs. I didn't. Because you cannot compare this game with either of those games. different developer and different design direction. For what the FOUNDRY is capable of, some pretty awesome material can be produced. THAT is what I was trying to say. It may not be up to YOUR standards, but many people will enjoy creating and playing Foundry quests in spite of you. Thank you for your participation... Good day.
  • zinnrathzinnrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The reason I am crashing is because I am trying to connect the upper floor to another room. Placing things on the upper floor is fine, its when I attempt to connect the 2 story room to an upper level room it goes berserk.

I get exactly the same behaviour in exactly the same way. I have never found a solution to this problem. From reading here it seems that no one else has either...
  • glantorxglantorx Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If you stand your foundry character on the level you like then type /locvec in the text box press return and the coords of your foundry character will be displayed. You can then see the Y value exactly.

ATM. you can not place rooms other than the zero plane so no multilevel dungeons YET!.
  • ovaltine74ovaltine74 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I estimate on the height of things on the first object in the room. then I go into 3D mode and place it precisely where I want it. Don't get me wrong, some things need to be precise. Like an array of columns for example. There I take precise measurements. Everything else I just get it close and go into 3D mode to make the minor adjustments. /locvec is fine, but you really don't need to be that precise when placing a bed or something in a room. Just guess on the height, then go into 3D mode and move it where it needs to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    NW-DMIME87F5
    Awaiting a serious response from the developers on the abuse of the review system by other authors.

Video Preview
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People need to quit focusing on what the foundry -can't- do and start focusing on what it -can- do (this includes workarounds invented by the community).

Like all other tools, it has a use, and when you use it for it's intended use, it does just fine. It's not Aurora, and I'm sure that's intentional. Aurora was far more complex to use due to its flexibility and people still made <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> with it.

An "awesome" quest doesn't really depend upon any of the things that the Foundry can't do. If your "awesome" quest absolutely positively requires you to link dungeon rooms in a multi-level way, then perhaps you need to rethink your plot.

Or just take one of the flat outdoors areas and just build the dungeon yourself. That's what many of us are doing. Premade rooms are fine when you're learning, but most decent foundry authors will put the time in to create custom environments.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zinnrathzinnrath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    People need to quit focusing on what the foundry -can't- do and start focusing on what it -can- do (this includes workarounds invented by the community).
    How are we supposed to know what the foundry -can't- do without trying and asking? How are we to know what workarounds are invented by the community if we are not permitted to ask?
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Yes - that cannot be done - "rooms" are only "connectable" at zero height. So even though you might have a high-ceiling, or a multi-floor room of some kind, you can only connect them at ground level.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    zinnrath wrote: »
    How are we supposed to know what the foundry -can't- do without trying and asking? How are we to know what workarounds are invented by the community if we are not permitted to ask?

I never said don't ask questions :)

That's what this forum (and the in-game channel) is for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]