test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Near infinite stealth build for TR. Also, complaint about poor stealth mechanic.

stycklesstyckles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Single worst execution of a stealth mechanic I've ever seen. I've built my rogue to be able to juuuust about always be stealthed during encounters. The setup allows me to almost never lose my stealth as long as I'm attacking and my cooldowns on my skills come up in time, and if I do break stealth, one of my skills fills the gauge instantly and I'm back in it before anything can hit me. It's horrible damage output but when you are alone or the only one in the party alive, you are for all intents and purposes completely invincible which means the damage doesn't matter.

This is largely broken because the game doesn't seem to care about the part of the stealth description where it says 'enemies that are not aware of you' (it's either mere flavor text, or is the single biggest bug/flaw in the game). You can hit a boss, stealth, and it will just stand there. From that point I am free to spend 20 minutes killing an epic dungeon boss with the rest of the party dead, just because I can and it's EASIER since the boss would normally be attacking other party members and moving around.

To do this, you need:

POWERS

Tactics (Class Feature)
Gloaming Cut (at-will)
Lurker's Assault (daily)
Shadow Strike (encounter)
Bait and Switch (encounter)

FEATS

Improved Cunning Sneak
Cunning Stalker
Sneaky Stabber
Action Advantage (I only have 2 points in this, all 5 would help slightly)

All of these should be maxed out. I use Skillful Infiltrator as my 2nd class feature but Invisible Infiltrator would also make this even more foolproof. The rest you can do whatever you want with.

Stealth, spam Gloaming Cut until Stealth is about to break, use Shadow Strike to refill gauge, continue to spam Gloaming Cut, use Bait and Switch before it breaks to again fill meter, spam Gloaming Cut, and with enough Recovery you should have Shadow Strike back up just in time. If not, you should have your daily ready to use Lurker's Assault, simply stop attacking for the first few seconds so the gauge fills more. Shadow Strike and Bait and Switch should both be ready before Lurker's Assault ends. Proceed to solo entire packs of heroic dungeon enemies and even the bosses as long as they don't heal themselves.

This is just sad, all simply because the game doesn't care if you stealth directly in front of something even after hitting it. A single rogue can solo any enemy that does not heal itself.
Post edited by styckles on

Comments

• Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Expect a nerf coming in 3... 2...
  • Options
    misterianusmisterianus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well if you want to spend the multiple hours soloing 1 dungeon, go ahead and do that, meanwhile a group of 5 will clear several dungeons. Due to the extreme health of Bosses, soloing doesnt really matter since it will take you freakin ages to solo anything in a lvl 30+ dungeon.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's a ****ty spec for anything endgame and does terrible damage, so who cares?
  • Options
    spacebux66spacebux66 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, we had this argument back in alpha.

Basically the spec is good for soloing if you can't manage to solo on a higher damage spec.

Otherwise it is 100% worthless.

Carry on.
  • Options
    ltricutlltricutl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well if you want to spend the multiple hours soloing 1 dungeon, go ahead and do that, meanwhile a group of 5 will clear several dungeons. Due to the extreme health of Bosses, soloing doesnt really matter since it will take you freakin ages to solo anything in a lvl 30+ dungeon.

...Captain obvious over here. L2R Sarcasm.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    styckles wrote: »
    Single worst execution of a stealth mechanic I've ever seen. I've built my rogue to be able to juuuust about always be stealthed during encounters. The setup allows me to almost never lose my stealth as long as I'm attacking and my cooldowns on my skills come up in time, and if I do break stealth, one of my skills fills the gauge instantly and I'm back in it before anything can hit me. It's horrible damage output but when you are alone or the only one in the party alive, you are for all intents and purposes completely invincible which means the damage doesn't matter.

This is largely broken because the game doesn't seem to care about the part of the stealth description where it says 'enemies that are not aware of you' (it's either mere flavor text, or is the single biggest bug/flaw in the game). You can hit a boss, stealth, and it will just stand there. From that point I am free to spend 20 minutes killing an epic dungeon boss with the rest of the party dead, just because I can and it's EASIER since the boss would normally be attacking other party members and moving around.

To do this, you need:

POWERS

Tactics (Class Feature)
    Gloaming Cut (at-will)
    Lurker's Assault (daily)
    Shadow Strike (encounter)
    Bait and Switch (encounter)

FEATS

Improved Cunning Sneak
    Cunning Stalker
    Sneaky Stabber
    Action Advantage (I only have 2 points in this, all 5 would help slightly)

All of these should be maxed out. I use Skillful Infiltrator as my 2nd class feature but Invisible Infiltrator would also make this even more foolproof. The rest you can do whatever you want with.

Stealth, spam Gloaming Cut until Stealth is about to break, use Shadow Strike to refill gauge, continue to spam Gloaming Cut, use Bait and Switch before it breaks to again fill meter, spam Gloaming Cut, and with enough Recovery you should have Shadow Strike back up just in time. If not, you should have your daily ready to use Lurker's Assault, simply stop attacking for the first few seconds so the gauge fills more. Shadow Strike and Bait and Switch should both be ready before Lurker's Assault ends. Proceed to solo entire packs of heroic dungeon enemies and even the bosses as long as they don't heal themselves.

This is just sad, all simply because the game doesn't care if you stealth directly in front of something even after hitting it. A single rogue can solo any enemy that does not heal itself.

never played stealthy classes in other MMO's I presume?
    Bad enough everything is busted in NWO, don't bring attention to TR's.
  • Options
    korv0xkorv0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I actually like the stealth mechanic a lot more in this game than in most games where stealth is permanent out of combat invisibility with no in battle use.

It helps offset the squishiness of the TR by givng them on demand invisibility.

You regenerate it by doing your job, not getting hit while not stealthed and doing damage.

It buffs your damage and gives you attacks of opportunity everywhere letting you do your job more.

In pvp, a stealthed rogue isn't really invisible, and you don't usually use it like in other games where your opponents just can't tell if a rogue is around because they are always invisible. You actually have to use it intelligently.

I've been using this build sans Glooming Cut (because its dps is so much worse than flourish) just to level, since it lets you take almost no damage. Though I'm usually using the aoe spells since everything is packs of mobs. But stealth + shadow stirke + bait and switch is always a ton of stealth to last fights.
  • Options
    uxvorastrixuxvorastrix Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    D&D DM/Player since 1982 - all versions except the despised 4e
  • Options
    psyke32psyke32 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how the heck can you tell?

VyOAwXc.jpg
  • Options
    stycklesstyckles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You're right, and I don't actually do this as a result of the time it takes since I'm practically passed out drooling on my desk by the time a mob pack in a dungeon is dead (I noted the horrible damage output in my original post, I think someone made a typical '<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> damage/useless build' post anyway). The problem and actual point of this is that this is possible at all. No class should be able to do something like this for any reason, surely that can be agreed on unanimously? I don't think it's OK to ignore it from a development standpoint simply because it's a bad build for actual grouping. No class should in any way be able to take out a boss alone without at least being in danger, regardless of the time required, especially when said method completely disables all enemy/boss mechanics (assuming solo/last party member alive here). It defeats the entire purpose of what a MMO or even D&D is. I can't believe anyone at Cryptic actually thought that little bit about stealth was somehow OK, especially when this isn't their first MMO. A lot of other effects do nothing to bosses, but stealthing magically makes them forget all about the fact you've been stabbing them for quite some time (while this is somewhat true in any MMO, you also generally can't do it again and again mere seconds later in other games). This would be a completely different situation if skill were involved and the player was actually...you know...in danger of even being attacked.

I don't see it getting changed however, mainly because if they changed stealth to not have any affect on enemies aware of you and allowed them to target you, there would probably be quite an uproar.

I will probably just level a guardian in the near future. They seemed to be pretty fun. If anything I'll have to respec the rogue.
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    styckles wrote: »
    I posted this on the official forums and was met with "<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> build, bad DPS, you suck" more or less despite stating that it was bad for damage in the original post.

Let's just completely ignore the design flaw here, move along. Big numbers or go home.

I'm sad because as much as I try to realllly like the game, I can't. I won't even get started on the fact epic dungeon gear is all BoE (please say that changes in T2/Castle Neverwinter), meaning you could, at least in theory and taking far longer than actually doing the dungeons, get the best gear in the game without ever actually running one through massive astral diamond spending. The only thing I like is that there's no raiding...yet.

Cryptic is not acting like they've made a MMO before. Then again I think I've never played one of theirs until now.

Funny how you accept the fact it's a sh*t build here, and on another forum you bash the people telling you it's a sh*t build...

Brother, your so fake, you make silicone <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> seem real.