test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Computer Shutting Off

arkangel75arkangel75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
I'm having an issue playing Neverwinter where while I'm playing the game my computer will randomly shut off after 10-15 minutes of play.. I don't think it's related to the game but it only does it while playing Neverwinter.

My first thought is overheating.. I installed speedfan and my temp 1 is like 50-65 degrees celsius and temp 3 is over 70... Seems kinda high to me but my pc is constantly running and I've not had an issue playing other games that are PC intensive.

I doubt its a bug but it's a technical issue I was hoping I could get some insight into solving?
Post edited by arkangel75 on

Comments

• abominabomin Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    pull out your video card, examine the tubes on it, does some of the top of the tubes blown out? I had experienced this issue while playing games in past, I found out I had blown compositors had to RMA the card.
  • arkangel75arkangel75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I don't see anything like that on my Video card.. so what other options could it be?
  • zzaraxxinzzaraxxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    arkangel75 wrote: »
    I don't see anything like that on my Video card.. so what other options could it be?

I have this problem too its your card overheating resulting in shutdown or restart and its not on your end it apparently happend in STO and CO betas its a problem with cryptics codes it will be fixed for launch im sure.
  • arkangel75arkangel75 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nah I don't think its my card overheating.. If anything It might be the North/Southbridge chipsets.. they are the only ones that are showing high temperatures on my speedfan
  • ravenvoiceravenvoice Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same problem here and it's look like cryptics code cause in other game like bioshock infinity won't do that!
  • gsmith1990gsmith1990 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am Getting the same thing witch sucks because the 15 mins i get to play are amazing
  • pianobeerpianobeer Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Same probem here...and my pc is cold when it happened!
  • rabbiddograbbiddog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's possible something in the system is heating up. I do know that for a game with not the best graphics (not the worst either) it certainly is making my card run hot and the fans to spin up full speed. So it's definitely taxing the hardware. Could also be driver related. Any number of things. Do you blue screen when it happens? Or does your computer simply shut off?
  • mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    arkangel75 wrote: »
    I'm having an issue playing Neverwinter where while I'm playing the game my computer will randomly shut off after 10-15 minutes of play.. I don't think it's related to the game but it only does it while playing Neverwinter.

My first thought is overheating.. I installed speedfan and my temp 1 is like 50-65 degrees celsius and temp 3 is over 70... Seems kinda high to me but my pc is constantly running and I've not had an issue playing other games that are PC intensive.

I doubt its a bug but it's a technical issue I was hoping I could get some insight into solving?

If you're running the DX11 beta version I'd suggest to swtich to DX9. I had a similar issue and it works fine now.
    edited May 2013
    rabbiddog wrote: »
    It's possible something in the system is heating up. I do know that for a game with not the best graphics (not the worst either) it certainly is making my card run hot and the fans to spin up full speed. So it's definitely taxing the hardware. Could also be driver related. Any number of things. Do you blue screen when it happens? Or does your computer simply shut off?
    My computer simply restarts, no blue screen its really bugging me because i really like the look of this game and the 15 mins or so i do get to play are wicked really want to sort it so i can play...
  • allodoxaallodoxa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gsmith1990 wrote: »
    My computer simply restarts, no blue screen its really bugging me because i really like the look of this game and the 15 mins or so i do get to play are wicked really want to sort it so i cant play...

I had this happen playing games before, turned out to be too much of a power draw from the power pack, make sure everything isn't running off the 1 cable or try upgrading to a stronger gaming PSU if you have a bit spare cash
    edited May 2013
    allodoxa wrote: »
    I had this happen playing games before, turned out to be too much of a power draw from the power pack, make sure everything isn't running off the 1 cable or try upgrading to a stronger gaming PSU if you have a bit spare cash
    is there anything i can do what dont involve money im out of work at the moment ?
  • crezaxcrezax Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Make sure the computers power supply is strong enough. You need at least 550W (pref. more than that) these days for everything to run smoothly.
    edited May 2013
    okay and how do i find that out ?
    edited May 2013
    Open up the chassi and check and see how much wattage you have. Should be a sticker on there.
    edited May 2013
    mine is 650W but saying that i opened up the chassi and it was covered in a think layer of dust witch is now cleaned....
    edited May 2013
    650W should be enough if your computer isn't filled with loads of extra HDD etc. It might have been the fail-safe in the power supply the switched off because of the dust. Try the game again and see if your computer shuts off.

And make sure the extra power cable is connected to your GPU.
    edited May 2013
    yup its working now thanks for the help crezax
  • ianwrymianwrym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Canned Air. It really works miracles sometimes. :3

And yeah, most of Cryptic's (And most others') betas tend to have some optimization issues at the start, because they don't know how much of a load the game will provide when sent to a massive amount of people. A few good hotfixes and patches will smooth it out, though. I mean hell, it took the guys over at SOE a good 3-4 months into Open Beta to start smoothing their stuff out with Planetside 2... Not saying it'll take that long here tho.