test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A Theory about the Crashes

steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Cryptic began working on Neverwinter in August of 2010 under Atari's production oversight. The game, as described by Jack Emmert at the time, was less of an MMO and more of a LAN party or Lobby game in which players connected directly to their teammates and moved out into the world from there to fight against the evils assailing the city. Rather than having hundreds or thousands of players in the same world you'd have only the 5 and their companion pets. The game was slated for release in late 2011.

However Cryptic Studios, and Neverwinter in turn, were sold to Perfect World International in May of 2011, 10 months or more into it's production cycle. And then 6 months later shifted the game's design philosophy and focus into an MMORPG in October of 2011, which in turn pushed the release date back into 2012. During early 2012 and repeatedly throughout the year the game's release was further delayed.

Throughout 2012 unexplained server outages would randomly kill Champions Online and Star Trek Online which lead to a lot of player frustration. And now that Neverwinter is in Open Beta the servers are, again, collapsing in a cascade with Neverwinter throwing a wrench in the works that takes out the whole server farm. This leads me to the following conclusion.

The reasons the servers keep crashing is because the game engine itself was not rebuilt but merely repurposed from it's LAN design. Given the time table a rebuild would have put open beta at least another 4-5 months from now, after all. So what we're seeing is coding conflicts between the original LAN purposed lobby system designs and the newly installed MMO server structure interacting with two other MMOs which do not have the LAN design built into them causing failures.

This is also very likely the same problem that Champions Online and Star Trek Online have been having over the past year or so. In order to find out if the new code holds up to spec the Devs had been mounting pre-alpha and alpha builds of the newly revamped game design onto the server farm as a method of testing the code and it's interaction with the other two games on the same server structure.

At least, that's my going theory. I could be way off. I just feel like it explains everything very well.

-Rachel-
Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
Post edited by steampunky on

Comments

• Options
    wanderer247wanderer247 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    who the hell wants to read ur essay
  • Options
    killerkonnakillerkonna Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Do the words hurt your little brain?

And the answer to your question is: intelligent people.
  • Options
    soppissoppis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People with a brain.
    steampunky wrote: »
    Cryptic began working on Neverwinter in August of 2010 under Atari's production oversight. The game, as described by Jack Emmert at the time, was less of an MMO and more of a LAN party or Lobby game in which players connected directly to their teammates and moved out into the world from there to fight against the evils assailing the city. Rather than having hundreds or thousands of players in the same world you'd have only the 5 and their companion pets.
    -Rachel-
    Would have been cool :)
  • Options
    nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No it has merit what the OP says all three games are too interconnected. >_> They need to upgrade their IT stuff.
  • Options
    rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    To long do you have a shorter version for us real Muricans.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • Options
    taylorfesttaylorfest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hmm, I see what you mean. If this is true then we will probably be stuck with this for a very long time. Unfortunate..
    10mr4gl.png
  • Options
    fredalbobfredalbob Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm more inclined to think it is a hardware problem.
    Although, it could be due to some goofy coding not handling certain exceptions.
    I doubt that though.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    No it has merit what the OP says all three games are too interconnected. >_> They need to upgrade their IT stuff.

Pretty much this.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rhazes1 wrote: »
    To long do you have a shorter version for us real Muricans.

Because the game was designed as multiplayer instead of as an MMO to begin with, engine structure is messing things up now that it has been converted.

And then I listed some possible evidence and background explanation.

Though I don't think the games are too interconnected at all. I think it's the original design conflicting with the server structure.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    jkemmawatsonjkemmawatson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They need to upgrade their servers for sure. A Compaq from 1987 with a hamster running on a wheel as a PSU isn't going to cut it anymore.

Quick, buy up some Zen coins so that PWI can afford new servers! >.>
  • Options
    rmchayesrmchayes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Interesting.
  • Options
    mhelivormhelivor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The tree games mail system are for shore connected.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I don't think the servers need upgrading. Just a software/firmware issue.

-Rachel-
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    steampunky wrote: »
    Cryptic began working on Neverwinter in August of 2010 under Atari's production oversight. The game, as described by Jack Emmert at the time, was less of an MMO and more of a LAN party or Lobby game in which players connected directly to their teammates and moved out into the world from there to fight against the evils assailing the city. Rather than having hundreds or thousands of players in the same world you'd have only the 5 and their companion pets. The game was slated for release in late 2011.

However Cryptic Studios, and Neverwinter in turn, were sold to Perfect World International in May of 2011, 10 months or more into it's production cycle. And then 6 months later shifted the game's design philosophy and focus into an MMORPG in October of 2011, which in turn pushed the release date back into 2012. During early 2012 and repeatedly throughout the year the game's release was further delayed.

Throughout 2012 unexplained server outages would randomly kill Champions Online and Star Trek Online which lead to a lot of player frustration. And now that Neverwinter is in Open Beta the servers are, again, collapsing in a cascade with Neverwinter throwing a wrench in the works that takes out the whole server farm. This leads me to the following conclusion.

The reasons the servers keep crashing is because the game engine itself was not rebuilt but merely repurposed from it's LAN design. Given the time table a rebuild would have put open beta at least another 4-5 months from now, after all. So what we're seeing is coding conflicts between the original LAN purposed lobby system designs and the newly installed MMO server structure interacting with two other MMOs which do not have the LAN design built into them causing failures.

This is also very likely the same problem that Champions Online and Star Trek Online have been having over the past year or so. In order to find out if the new code holds up to spec the Devs had been mounting pre-alpha and alpha builds of the newly revamped game design onto the server farm as a method of testing the code and it's interaction with the other two games on the same server structure.

At least, that's my going theory. I could be way off. I just feel like it explains everything very well.

-Rachel-

Interesting theory, but it doesn't hold water.

For one, NW now uses the same engine as STO and CO, which was an MMO engine from the get-go. Your theory posits that they have been having outages for the past year as Cryptic downgraded STO and CO to use the hypothetical NW LAN engine? That'd be really stupid of them.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Not at all.

I'm proposing that retrofitting the NW engine from it's LAN design back up to the MMO structure is what caused the problem. While the Cryptic Engine was originally designed for MMO structuring, Neverwinter originally had that capability removed in favor of LAN design. When they had to go back and add MMO activity back in for PWE's design methodology is when I propose the issue happened.

CO and STO are still using their original engines with no changes. It's the NW engine that is causing the problem, and has been.

-Rachel-
  • Options
    dextordnddextordnd Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They should use all of the money they received through the founders and the zen market, and either buy/build a capable engine for this game. it is an amazing mmo so-far, and deserves better. a little more time and no doubt they will have this problem fixed and running smoothly. Unlike many other games i won't mention, the customer service/support is actually very good. I like that they at least keep us updated on what their working on.

Dextor UnDeAd
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Game engines really don't work like that, actually. The engine their using is the one they have to use.

All they can do is get it working right, which is what they're doing with each successive crash: Repairing the issues as they arise. This is why, no matter what anyone says, this is a beta.

-Rachel-
  • Options
    kracsnzkracsnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The crashes are hard-crashes, i.e. there's no initial sign the crash is going to occur. Like tonight's crash the latency was perfect up until the mass disconnect. Unlikely to be as simple an issue as 'they retrofitted a LAN style engine to an MMO engine' unless the network code is so flaky it can take out the entire infrastructure. You'd be hit with large latency spikes, packet loss, warping etc... as the service slowly degraded if it was as simple as that. I would also guess that the 'retrofit' was actually the incorporation of the engine already used in STO and CO as elyssium said.

To cause their entire infrastructure to crash quickly has got to be something with their core infrastructure supporting all of their linked platforms.
  • Options
    wryscherwryscher Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Around the time the crashes started, my GF moved in with me. I am fairly certain that is that cause of all the crashes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Three things:

1. Cryptic uses the Cryptic Engine for all of their games. It's their big thing. This is why I assume they used the Cryptic Engine from day 1, rather than creating a separate engine from scratch and then later moving the systems design over to the Cryptic Engine. It's also kind of crazy to assume they'd try to swap engines, since unless the engines are functionally the same all of the previously programmed work would need to be rewritten.

2. Have you ever seen City of Heroes's code? It's Spaghetti. That's one of the things you'll hear from anyone who pigg-dived while it was around or tried to put together a private pirate server after it went down. This is because they went back over the same ground dozens of times re-writing around problems rather than removing them. That's why I'm even entertaining the notion that they did that, here.

3. Fatal Execution Errors can shut down an operating system, whether it's Windows style BSOD or Linux Kernal Panic. Software trying to perform illegal procedures or conflicting ones can instantly lock up a system rather than slowly increase system drain like a memory leak or bandwidth bottlenecking.

If Neverwinter was to have an engine swap the artwork, sound, and character model would be salvageable, based on the input parameters of the new engine, but system design outside of combat theorycrafting would have to be rebuilt from the ground up based on the limitations or functions of the new engine. Any code which didn't get a full re-write would probably cease to function altogether unless the two engines were that closely linked as to allow similar functions.

-Rachel-
  • Options
    kracsnzkracsnz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Fatal exceptions et al may take down a server, taking down the entire infrastructure is another matter. I'm guessing they'd be using some sort of visualization platform and all the popular ones are very very good at sand-boxing the instances (I'm guessing since the engine is getting a little old now that it isn't built to use IaaS).

If it were just the login servers going down, or a shard crashing, or chat not working (like what happened in the early days of CO), or something along those lines I may agree with what you're saying. I think something is happening at a core level, something that is either at the infrastructure level (NAS, VM backplane etc...), a shared resource for all of the instances that is failing, or a common bug triggered by a global event that crashes all instances (it even took out the login servers).

Would be interesting to find out, but doubt we'll get any concrete reason other than its 'fixed'. But hell, that's what BETA is for, be a bit more annoying if I was still a paying CO or STO subscriber :p