test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we please have the Companion Merchant finally sell Training Tomes?

lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hi Cryptic,

Can we please have the Companion Merchant finally sell Training Tomes? I would like to level up my companions past rank 15.

With the Panther being useless due to bad design and poor AI, I was hoping to either level a cleric or the cat, and both require Training Tomes to reach their full potential.

Thank you!
Post edited by lexthegreat on

Comments

• Options
    deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The cat is perfectly awesome at 25 :D.

But that cleric... considering the only other cleric won't be available for 360 days, it's about time, Cryptic!
  • Options
    dtrain69dtrain69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes i would very much like to continue leveling my Cleric companion because right now she is more of a hindrance than anything else.
  • Options
    shytbyrdshytbyrd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    With the Panther being useless due to bad design and poor AI, I was hoping to either level a cleric or the cat, and both require Training Tomes to reach their full potential.

The panther is useless but the cat however is ok at 25 since it's non-combat and all slots can be filled. I didn't see an advantage at each rank to the cat as I ranked him up to 25, so I don't think 5 more levels is going to do anything since he has never died.
  • Options
    exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    they should at least give us a straight answer as to when they plan on adding the tomes
  • Options
    lexthegreatlexthegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    shytbyrd wrote: »
    The panther is useless but the cat however is ok at 25 since it's non-combat and all slots can be filled. I didn't see an advantage at each rank to the cat as I ranked him up to 25, so I don't think 5 more levels is going to do anything since he has never died.

His stats still grow with every rank, and with a rune that gives me some of them - well, I want it all ;)
  • Options
    diablomuertodiablomuerto Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I stopped using my cleric, when I got to 30+ she started to just be more trouble to try and keep a live. It wouldn't be so bad if guardian threat wasn't so terrible but the way threat is in this game a few seconds after you taunt they just run right back to beating the healer. Since she's only rank 15 she's down in seconds so I don't even use her anymore, which is sad b/c as a guardian while the healer isn't super great she certainly helped.
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They want us to spend money on the purple Zen companions. Anyone notice that the tank and cleric from the store have no AI issues and are actually good?
  • Options
    robman1978robman1978 Member Posts: 125 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Any community manager able to answer this question? When can we buy those books?
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    robman1978 wrote: »
    They want us to spend money on the purple Zen companions. Anyone notice that the tank and cleric from the store have no AI issues and are actually good?

Except the cleric from the store isn't really a cleric, more of a protection shield bot with a bit of vamp healing. The cleric companion is actually amazing if you can keep it alive, when I would group with another person at 50ish she was healing a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> ton since the heals are % based, just have to keep her swaddled in cotton (since one smack and she dies at 45+).
  • Options
    moriant42moriant42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It is definitely frustrating not being able to rank up companions (at least they still accumulate xp at max rank, according to the tool tip on the xp bar).

With the low rank and poor AI (standing in red, moving in front of melee mobs) the cleric dies pretty regularly from 40+ onward and after 50+ tends to die almost every pull. It does at least still save on potions though as she gets some healing in before falling and then some after the battle :P

Would be nice to at least hear what the plan is for the books and if they might have a quest or two for ranking up at least one companion for free.
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    moriant42 wrote: »
    It is definitely frustrating not being able to rank up companions (at least they still accumulate xp at max rank, according to the tool tip on the xp bar).

With the low rank and poor AI (standing in red, moving in front of melee mobs) the cleric dies pretty regularly from 40+ onward and after 50+ tends to die almost every pull. It does at least still save on potions though as she gets some healing in before falling and then some after the battle :P

Would be nice to at least hear what the plan is for the books and if they might have a quest or two for ranking up at least one companion for free.

49 and i use the cleric mostly, as i level up the cat on quest turn ins.

since this devoted cleric has obscene healing threat i dont have to worry about mobs attacking my pet cleric - ever - and it lets me get by with fewer health pots used and fewer close calls.
  • Options
    freyawiskersfreyawiskers Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still no answer on this? I've been wondering myself about this topic. I'm pretty much not able to spend money on this game and so things like buying a new companion from the zen store are out of the question. I really just want an ETA on the training tomes. I've hit that wall where I really need to have a healer with me and the Cleric is my go to companion.
  • Options
    kronykus420kronykus420 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bump......
  • Options
    matumatu Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I could use some extra levels for my cleric as well, also better AI.
  • Options
    varkhus2013varkhus2013 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What bothers me is that whenever they DO decide to add the stupid tomes, we'll all be level 60 and we'll have to grind to rank up the companions, which by that point we won't even need anymore anyway. My level 42 devoted cleric is just parked at a campfire in Ebon Hold, doing his leadership missions and daily invocations...he's gained his last two levels that way. I really liked the combo of leveling him with the Man-at-Arms, but unfortunately this companion is just too squishy now and he dies in every other pull, and EVERY boss fight. Running around like a headless chicken, popping potions in a flippin' solo quest mission is not my idea of fun.

I also feel they just want to push people toward buying the Zen shop companions, which really does not sit well with me. Yesterday's rollback also hit me in an odd way...I lost 2 levels on my level 37 (now 35) wizard - who I now play instead of the devoted cleric - and I logged in tonight and just didn't feel like playing. I don't want to slog my way through the Helm's Hold pain-in-the-rump quests that I just did, I still can't rank up my companions, I don't want to play my cleric...I just don't feel it. This doesn't really relate much to the topic except to say that FINALLY releasing the damned training tomes would go a long way toward restoring my interest in the game, and I'm sure I am not the only one. I am most assuredly not spending a dime on zen until this gets done.
  • Options
    krapmyselfskrapmyselfs Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    PWE is making money selling companions on the ZEN store. They are in no hurry to add tomes.

And don't believe for a second that Cryptic is the one who set up the business model for this game, it's done by PWE, who basically runs the show in the financial department and the money you spend in the Neverwinter Online store goes to them to distribute however they see fit. So your cash may be going towards the development of PWI or jade Dynasty or something like that and not necessarily Neverwinter development. It could even go to other Cryptic made games like Champions or Star Trek.

So, pay attention to how much care and love is given to Neverwinter, if it gets lots strong patches, mini or big, that add content or fix current, then we'll know the game is getting attention and the money we spend is well spent. IF however the game goes months without anything, other than the routine weekend events and <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like that, we'll know this game is just a show pony designed to rake in cash for PWE and it's other games.
  • Options
    shielgardinshielgardin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bump

But more than a bump - really a plea for an answer.

Developing your companions is a neat component of the game and the cleric-companion is an important one which I would like to bring on to level 30 AND I am happy to pay for the service.

So come on PWE get your NW Devs to answer and get these tomes into the game.
  • Options
    smackphattsmackphatt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Bump

But more than a bump - really a plea for an answer.

Developing your companions is a neat component of the game and the cleric-companion is an important one which I would like to bring on to level 30 AND I am happy to pay for the service.

So come on PWE get your NW Devs to answer and get these tomes into the game.

This has been answered. It's coming with Fury of the Feywild sometime this summer.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=908861
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2013
    smackphatt wrote: »
    This has been answered. It's coming with Fury of the Feywild sometime this summer.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=908861

Cool, cause as much as I love the dog I got with my Guardian of the North Pack.. I'd really like to level up my healer for those times when it really does pay to use one.
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is something I would buy in the Zen store.

/throws money at computer.