test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Overzealous Profanity Filter

eljacko56eljacko56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2013 in The Foundry
I just can't get over this profanity filter. I'd accept it if really did only filter profane words, but it also filters out things like "*******", "screw you", and even "idiot"! "*******" might be pushing it a bit, but "idiot"? "Idiot", for goodness sake! There's plenty of middle ground between Game of Thrones and Sword in the Stone, but we don't see any of that here! Heck, I'll bet there are some Disney films that this game's profanity filter would take issue with! There are some kids shows that I know with absolutely certainty wouldn't get past this game's filter. Popular ones!

I know it's possible to work around these limitations, but should we really have to? Surely there must be some here who aren't satisfied with having every single character they make talk like someone out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

I can deal with it if they want to ban words that are genuinely obscene. That's fair. I don't need to write The Witcher. But this is just too much.

ADDENDUM: Huh, I didn't know this forum had a profanity filter too (which apparently can't be turned off). I caught this while previewing the post. The starred-out word up there is a euphemism for an illegitimate child.
Post edited by eljacko56 on

Comments

• eulerdmoogleeulerdmoogle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    eljacko56 wrote: »
    I just can't get over this profanity filter. I'd accept it if really did only filter profane words, but it also filters out things like "*******", "screw you", and even "idiot"! "*******" might be pushing it a bit, but "idiot"? "Idiot", for goodness sake! There's plenty of middle ground between Game of Thrones and Sword in the Stone, but we don't see any of that here! Heck, I'll bet there are some Disney films that this game's profanity filter would take issue with! There are some kids shows that I know with absolutely certainty wouldn't get past this game's filter. Popular ones!

I know it's possible to work around these limitations, but should we really have to? Surely there must be some here who aren't satisfied with having every single character they make talk like someone out of a Saturday morning cartoon.

I can deal with it if they want to ban words that are genuinely obscene. That's fair. I don't need to write The Witcher. But this is just too much.

ADDENDUM: Huh, I didn't know this forum had a profanity filter too (which apparently can't be turned off). I caught this while previewing the post. The starred-out word up there is a euphemism for an illegitimate child.

I know. It's overly aggressive isn't it, which is why a ******* sword suddenly became a one-and-a-half sword in one of my stories.
    Try my missions:
    A Small Dwarvish Grudge: NW-DUI8A8I7R
    The Brink of Disaster: NW-DFDJKW9QF (Still in beta)

thorlief_banner_1.png
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's ironic really, are they going to try somehow and go for the Everyone ESRB rating? because if they actually read the requirements for Teen, they would not be so heavy hitting on this filter crud

...I have heard worse on Saturday morning cartoons.

And you can also thank modern society for taking every single word in the dictionary and somehow turning it into a curse.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • moondawg13moondawg13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It also depends upon your choice of words used in a sequence. For example the word "put" and the word "a" will give you a Spanish word which is deemed profane.
    Campaign: The Legend of Snowmane
    Chapter One: In Search of the Legend
  • fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    I know. It's overly aggressive isn't it, which is why a ******* sword [...]

wow. my face and my palm are both sore now

really cryptic? REALLY???

This level of censorship is a bit ridic IMO

makes me think cryptic are trying out for the police in farenheit 451
  • vixisynvixisyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2013
    I can't title a room "Slave Pens" because.... Pens is offensive. :eek:
    vixybanner4_zpsbe1d5d4b.jpg
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Haha yeah the filter has made me re-write otherwise normal writing. I am not writing a rated R campaign haha, the language and titles of the equipment and such are pretty calm.

I wanted the description of the Book of Souls to read "This book seems to want to swallow your soul." but swallow was a bad word.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I thinki that the word "****" is filtered here in the forums...

/facepalm

<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is filtered -.-
  • tedwatedwa Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sight they should really remove the put a, as a profane word in English quests.... I mean put a stop to... is so commonly used in quests it's not even funnu...
  • vanturivanturi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vixisyn wrote: »
    I can't title a room "Slave Pens" because.... Pens is offensive. :eek:

I found out about Pens the other night. The Penguins/Islanders game was starting and said "Let's go Pens" in the zone chat and it blocked it.
    I don't mind them having an over-all profanity filter, but that's not what is in place here. It's a wickedly strict "possible offensive word" filter. I wanted to use the word "terr0r1zed" (sorry for the misspelling, but I think it will do it here in the forum too), and it was blocking it in NPC dialog.
    I think they've gone a bit too far with the filter. Let's face it, orcs and goblins like to terr0r1ze townsfolk in small villages. It happens, we can't stop it by not saying the word. :)
    -Vanturi
    edited May 2013
    vanturi wrote: »
    I found out about Pens the other night. The Penguins/Islanders game was starting and said "Let's go Pens" in the zone chat and it blocked it.
    I don't mind them having an over-all profanity filter, but that's not what is in place here. It's a wickedly strict "possible offensive word" filter. I wanted to use the word "terr0r1zed" (sorry for the misspelling, but I think it will do it here in the forum too), and it was blocking it in NPC dialog.
    I think they've gone a bit too far with the filter. Let's face it, orcs and goblins like to terr0r1ze townsfolk in small villages. It happens, we can't stop it by not saying the word. :)

Pens is filtered? I can't say "Ink well and a bunch of pens?" That's amazingly silly.
    Try my missions:

thorlief_banner_1.png
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I turned off the profanity filter. Hopefully most will once they see how stupid it is in NWO.
  • eulerdmoogleeulerdmoogle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    platinu wrote: »
    I turned off the profanity filter. Hopefully most will once they see how stupid it is in NWO.

The problem is you can't turn off the profanity filter in the foundry. It will auto reject your submission and have you go play a game of find the hidden profanity. In one mission I wrote "He's a hero in Neverwinter" and it rejected my mission for having the word 'heroin'. And as I mentioned above, the ******* Sword had to become a Hand-and-a-half Sword because apparently playground swears are too much for this game. .... I'm now curious if I can call someone a doo-doo head in the foundry.
    Try my missions:

thorlief_banner_1.png
  • shorlongshorlong Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 286 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I know the word <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is filtered, as I was trying to tell a friend that I think my dog pooped on the floor....and it was starred out. Which is funny, because of the mario quest where you have to clean up poo....
    My quest was deleted in July of 2013. There were no issues, it had not violated any rules. Was deemed a bug. That quest is still missing.

RIP - Dirty Politics May 21st, 2013 - July 30th, 2013
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is you can't turn off the profanity filter in the foundry. It will auto reject your submission and have you go play a game of find the hidden profanity. In one mission I wrote "He's a hero in Neverwinter" and it rejected my mission for having the word 'heroin'. And as I mentioned above, the ******* Sword had to become a Hand-and-a-half Sword because apparently playground swears are too much for this game. .... I'm now curious if I can call someone a doo-doo head in the foundry.

Wow. Thanks for telling me that. This is definitely silly. Maybe they'll fine tune it eventually but... probably not.
    edited May 2013
    **** it! My sentence fragment "put a good word in for you" was censored. Apparently a person can't be putting in good words for people.
    Try my missions:

thorlief_banner_1.png
  • grimtoadgrimtoad Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't use the phrase "put a stop to this" because "put a" is to close to "****"
  • godofpridegodofpride Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wow, this is incredibly disheartening. This needs to be fixed, or they can kiss my money goodbye. I was honestly thinking of putting a decent amount of money into this game because I've been having a blast with it and really looking forward to the foundry. I've been loving the foundry so far, but if I wind up having to edit every line of dialogue so that nothing could ever conceivably in any language be viewed as a mean word if you squint, then they're not getting a cent out of me. In fact, I'll probably stop playing. Which would be a shame as I've been telling all my friends that they need to come play this with me and check out my foundry quests when I'm done with them. But, ya know, if this doesn't get fixed, I guess me and my friends will have to find another game to play.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dont forget things that have to do with lore like taint for example "Tieflings blood is tainted." wont fly in the foundry
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to admit. This game has the most draconian profanity filters I've seen anywhere on the net. Surpassing ridiculous. Is this DnD or sunday school?
  • veakariveakari Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The profanity filter is infuriating to say the least. If people are this easily offended, what in the world are they doing online? I'm not three years old. I don't think my audience is three years old.

The filter makes creating "normal" conversation in Foundry painful at times, because many are common words that are in no way vulgar. Thankfully the !Task tells you what the problem is, or I'd have never been able to determine some of the offenses.

What is ironic, is that people using ordinary words in zone chat are often made to look like foul mouthed cretins, to those who have left the profanity filter on.

I don't expect there to be any change to the list, unfortunately. I've just been terribly frustrated by this today, and needed to vent.
  • vuelheringvuelhering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    wow. my face and my palm are both sore now
    I think you're doing it wrong if your ****** and ********* aren't ****.
    Knights who say Ni!
    Foundry name: Vuelherring (with an extra 'R', matey)

"Bring out yer Dead" NW-DAI945C2G #humor #story #solo
  • zlainfurryzlainfurry Banned Users Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    You should all just walk away from this game while pointing and laughing at it. There are so many innane and screwed up things about this game that it astonishes me people continue to not only play it, but give PW money while doing so. This game was failing hard before Open beta even started so they want to grab as much Cash form the dumb slubs as possible before they can it entirely. Jump ship now, or waste significantly more time.
  • zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Wah wah wah.

I'm having a blast.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • oggbroxoggbrox Member Posts: 152 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Uh yeah... it think this ******* is a ***** full of ********* and *******! Holy *********! Put it into the ******* and ***** it up - that's the ******* way!
    Quests I like to share:

A CURIOUS DISAPPEARANCE by Sphecida: NW-DDLEOFL2Q
    A CRY UNANSWERED by obsidianw0lf: NW-DGNBAX3RD
    SIEGEBREAKER by ash4all: NW-DGDPWV2U5
  • lolsorhandlolsorhand Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 981 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    This game is so ****ty! I hate it so much! The foundry is only for noobs! (Oh right.. Well.) **** **** **** **** ****, Nope.. Still love the game! :3
    I like turtles.

Brethren of the Five, Campaign. - Story focused
    The Dwarven Tale - Hack 'N Slash
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Are they implying this game is made for young children? lol
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!