test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Opinion on the game

hyloxhylox Member Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
okay, ive done just about all i needed to know if i like this game or not. i am coming from guildwars 2 in case any1 wanted to know. plus i also played GW1, DC Universe Online, Aion, Star Trek Online, Fiesta online, Trickster online, and some others

combat: A+ [this combat system is like DCUO easy to play with, but i wish there was a button to press to remove the aiming thing so i can click on party members and other icons without bringing up a window like inventory]

leveling system: B- [hardly any leveling system meets A+ for me, other than that it's fine]

Story: D+ [GW2 story in my opinion was E-, but this game needs better story improvements... i still feel like I'm some1's whipping boy. the neverwinter series is about adventure and doing what you wanna do]

Loot system: D- [any looting system where you have to cast lots to get gear is awful! GW2 loot system, everybody got their own loot and that's how you make a loot system! so GW2 Loot system is A+++++++ in my book, nothing can beat that, if it wasn't for running over money and some items to auto pickup then I would give this catagory an E-]

PvP: C+ [im not big on PvP but this is reminiscent of GW1 pvp which was pretty good]

Skill System: C- [some of the skills are just not good, but others are really good. plus it needs to be easier to switch between different skills. so just improve some of the weaker skills and make it easier to switch between them and ur good to go]

mount system: C+ [Mounts seem unnecessary in this game, because there are a lot of baddies everywhere, plus the areas don't seem big enough for mounts. if you wanna make mounts more valuable then let mountees attack while they are mounted, or make them untargetable so they can get to where they are going without incident, and/or make the maps much larger and less cluttered for smother riding]

Dungeon System: D+ [it's brutal w8ing in queues for like 45 minutes try to fix that. Also getting locked out of boss fights if you die is not cool at all. nobody likes getting locked out, so just remove it. plus the dungeons seem a little too easy in between bosses... but of course i just came from GW2 so that's probably why they seem easy. the Dungeons in GW2 were brutal if your party didn't know what they were doing]

overall score: C- [all in all, it's a decent game. However, it seemed like i ran out of things to do too fast and the game seems to focus on long party queues and the foundry than anything else, and yes i do understand that this is a Free to play game and is better than most F2P games. but the thing that needs changing most is the looting system. give every1 their own loot. I was just in a dungeon and on the things i needed i rolled need and was outscored every time by a jerk that wasn't even the same class as me, and the items were for my class]
Post edited by hylox on

Comments

• l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Nice Opinions but what if people don't share them?
  • hyloxhylox Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    that's why it's an "opinion" if people don't share my opinion, it's not like i'm gonna shrivel up and die because of it.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can press ALT to bring up cursor mode any time
  • snooseysnoosey Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The dragon fight at like level 32 is harder than anything GW2 ever had in it. ~93% completion Guardian here. Have not played GW2 since like 2 weeks after launch so maybe they added something harder.
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    GW2 is just all around better, period.
  • thirdeye69thirdeye69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gw2 turned in to a grindfest quick-like, i have really enjoyed this game way better so far.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    GW2 is just all around better, period.

FOUNDRY

onewordrebutalspoiledby10characterlimit:(
  • darkchristtdarkchristt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The only thing I think is better in GW2 was the environments. I like Neverwinter's combat over GW2. I would take Neverwinter's multiple single player dungeons I come across over the repetitive 'Dynamic Events' while questing. I thought GW2 spvp was horrible. The overall story seems better so far in Neverwinter than GW2 to me. For me, GW2 does not offer anything close to as cool as the foundry. So GW2 maybe 'all around better, period' to you, but too me its not even close Neverwinter is just all around better, period.
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You guys just have your 'new game' glasses on. Trust me, this game is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.
  • doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    l1d3n wrote: »
    Nice Opinions but what if people don't share them?

Then I believe the game gets a rating of F for fact
  • ihaveamaceihaveamace Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For all those veteran players I've got a question.When does the game start to get any good?
    Or least stop being boring.I can't say I've made much progress.I've leveled a trickster to 17 and a cleric to 4 and so far I'm disappointed with combat,skill progression,skills in general,the music,the dungeon system and the auction house(fix that bloody thing,it's embarrassing) not to mention classes.PvP is alright if you like 30 minute 1v1 fights,if not then do something else.

Combat is way too long.I've got to kill 6 X orcs and to do that I've got to go through 50 other kinds of orcs who have way too much hp making a simple "go kill" quest into a 30min-1h saga.The combat is fun for say...1h and then it's just a grind,spamming the same 3 skills.

Which brings me to skills and the entire system.What's up with 3 max skills?Why do I even bother putting points in the starting skills if I'm just going to end up using the new,more powerful ones?

Music is...well,I began playing with sound off.I'm sick of hearing the same **** song while in combat,while resting,while loading.Bleah.

The dungeons are a mess.Too many melee classes making it hard to even hit an enemy,and all of them have their companions.I can't imagine what it's like for a cleric.The loot system is just broken.Why can a wizard need my items?I understand greed but why can he need?Also,why can't I vote to kick him?I suppose I could leave the party and hope I don't spend another hour in queue.

PvP is plain boring.Same 3 skills over and over again with no result.Once,I got in a fight with a cleric.You can imagine how that worked out.After 5 minutes I just gave up,I walked away,both of us with about half hp.

And last,the economy is depressing.Seeing countless confusing windows with items that cost diamonds,rough diamonds,X Y Z coins and the old gold just makes me think"Aha,If I grind 6 hours daily for 2 weeks I might be able to buy that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> which I'll use to get that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> which is half as good as the 1$ zen item".No thanks,I won't be grinding for you.

tl;dr:When does this game stop being so frustrating and boring and start getting mildly interesting?
  • mysterysnowmysterysnow Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ihaveamace wrote: »
    For all those veteran players I've got a question.When does the game start to get any good?
    Or least stop being boring.I can't say I've made much progress.I've leveled a trickster to 17 and a cleric to 4 and so far I'm disappointed with combat,skill progression,skills in general,the music,the dungeon system and the auction house(fix that bloody thing,it's embarrassing) not to mention classes.PvP is alright if you like 30 minute 1v1 fights,if not then do something else.

Combat is way too long.I've got to kill 6 X orcs and to do that I've got to go through 50 other kinds of orcs who have way too much hp making a simple "go kill" quest into a 30min-1h saga.The combat is fun for say...1h and then it's just a grind,spamming the same 3 skills.

Which brings me to skills and the entire system.What's up with 3 max skills?Why do I even bother putting points in the starting skills if I'm just going to end up using the new,more powerful ones?

Music is...well,I began playing with sound off.I'm sick of hearing the same **** song while in combat,while resting,while loading.Bleah.

The dungeons are a mess.Too many melee classes making it hard to even hit an enemy,and all of them have their companions.I can't imagine what it's like for a cleric.The loot system is just broken.Why can a wizard need my items?I understand greed but why can he need?Also,why can't I vote to kick him?I suppose I could leave the party and hope I don't spend another hour in queue.

PvP is plain boring.Same 3 skills over and over again with no result.Once,I got in a fight with a cleric.You can imagine how that worked out.After 5 minutes I just gave up,I walked away,both of us with about half hp.

And last,the economy is depressing.Seeing countless confusing windows with items that cost diamonds,rough diamonds,X Y Z coins and the old gold just makes me think"Aha,If I grind 6 hours daily for 2 weeks I might be able to buy that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> which I'll use to get that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> which is half as good as the 1$ zen item".No thanks,I won't be grinding for you.

tl;dr:When does this game stop being so frustrating and boring and start getting mildly interesting?

When you open your eyes and start reading.
    edited May 2013
    When does this game stop being so frustrating and boring and start getting mildly interesting?

Never.....
    edited May 2013
    When you open your eyes and start reading.

Read what?If you're talking about the quest text why say read and not hear?Is it because the voice acting is so terrible it makes your ears bleed?
    But let's be fair,it wasn't that the voice acting was bad,it was the voice recording.On one NPC I could hear the whitenoise of the mic as if it had been recorded with 5$ budget,4 of those dollars being spent on doughnuts rather than professional equipment.

Again,read what?The stories of amateurs are better than the quests of the people paid to write.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013

It's not 3 skills MAX. It's 3 Encounter Powers useable at one time. There are a lot more then 3 Encounter Powers If you've played to level 17, you've not even scatched the surface when it comes to the available powers and the enemies that you will be fight. Combat is ridculously easy for a skilled player to begin with. That's to be friendly for a beginning player. But combat difficulty really stars to ramp up in the 30., But the upper 40s and beyond, you have to be on your toes, use all of you abilities well of your well. That includes using the right right abilities for the right situation.

You can't just use the same set of abilities against every enemy. They are quite varied on their powers and tactics. For me part of the fun was trying out all of the various abilities when I was getting my assets handed to me while fight a new faction. I have a level 60 Trickster Rogue which is not quite finished with the PvE content. Some abilities I thought were useless when I first get access or acquired them, have proven themselves invaluable for the end game.

For example, I first throught the Duelist's Flurry was overall bad. The initial 2 slot strike wasn't any good vs trash mobs. But after sticking with it and finally getting the zen of not being seen/hit combat. Duelist's Flurry is now sickening powerful when combine with Deadly Momentum and an almost 50% Crit rate. I can be on the other size of the chamber stealthed and the Boss will just keel over as they bleed to death. On the other hand, if I hit the wrong abilitie at the wrong time, I'm hitting Shift+2 to go rezz myself and pulling out the wound kit.

tl;dr
    Stick with it. Level 17 doesn't even scratch the surface of combat in the same. The Paragon Feats starting at level 30 will totally change the way combat flows. And you have Paragon Feat trees to choice from.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You guys just have your 'new game' glasses on. Trust me, this game is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

And you have your "GW2" glasses on. Fact is, GW2 sucks so much. Though neverwinters trinity model is very off and not tuned at all, GW2s combat is horrid and just a zerg fest without any logic.
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    And you have your "GW2" glasses on. Fact is, GW2 sucks so much. Though neverwinters trinity model is very off and not tuned at all, GW2s combat is horrid and just a zerg fest without any logic.

The 'zerg-fest' you're referring to is the WvW? Yes, that small part of the game has a zerg-mentality. Its a good thing the game is gigantic, with multiple things to do, besides WvW. If you're referring to dungeons, they fixed that, maybe you should go back to it... seeing that its f2p as well.
  • matthewskillzzzmatthewskillzzz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, that escalated quickly
    Dwarfie - DPS Cleric, Mindflayer Server.
    23lfh1s.png
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The 'zerg-fest' you're referring to is the WvW? Yes, that small part of the game has a zerg-mentality. Its a good thing the game is gigantic, with multiple things to do, besides WvW. If you're referring to dungeons, they fixed that, maybe you should go back to it... seeing that its f2p as well.

Maybe you should stay on GW2 forums then? : )

It might be better game for you, but just the looks are enough to keep me out from it. This game has really fun combat system, and same kind of attraction that Diablo2 used to have. This is simple, fun and rewards skill just the right way for me. Too bad you didn't like this, but that's why we have different kind of games... Something for everybody.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Why would we trust you! YOU HAVE A BEARD!
    edited May 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    Why would we trust you! YOU HAVE A BEARD!

"Been playing Cryptic's stuff since 2004 :P "
    Kudos on having the guts to admit this in public.Internet public.
  • edwardloxaredwardloxar Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GW2 Dungeons are ridiculously easy, even when party members have no clue, they-re still pretty easy, lol
    Dungeon system in this game is actually pretty good and they have a sense of accomplishment after beating the final boss, although the in between bits are a bit easy and Q's are long for them.

My only issue so far is, armour looks the exact same, im lvl 28 and still look near enough the same as i did when level 10 ;/
  • arekanearekane Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have to agree this game is not that good. It has taken and destroyed Dungeons and Dragons. If it did not have the D&D logo it would be another perfect world expansion. Overall the game play and interface is poor at best. Don't get me wrong, the fighting is pretty good and entertaining to say the least but not up to par. I have played almost all the free to play games and bought all the pay to play ones. The best all around is still DDO for the interface and gameplay, even tho it is becoming more of a who can beat who game now. Every game that has the Dungeons and Dragon backing just does not seem to get what the original pen and paper game was ment to be except the original DDO.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Been playing Cryptic's stuff since 2004 :P "
    Kudos on having the guts to admit this in public.Internet public.

I also like to whip myself and eat glass.