test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Enjoying the game so far but these 2 improvements would put it over the top.

notaperfectnamenotaperfectname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Being able to move while you attack and free movement of the mouse while playing.

Coming from WoW and GW2 these features are taken for granted but when I deal with them in this game it feels like it's broken and completely foreign.

While I'm in no way saying this game should mimic those games, these features keep battle fast paced and exciting.

Hitting Alt to use the mouse and combo shift keys for loot disengages me from the game's flow.

Not sure what the challenges of implementing these would be but I feel most people would appreciate these features.
Post edited by notaperfectname on

Comments

• ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013
    If they gave free mouse movement, then they would have to completely change the way combat works since it's based on the actual aim of the player and not auto-targeting.

Why would you want to go back to staid tab-targeting, which slows down the pacing of combat since you would no longer need to think about what you're looking at?
  • idunazidunaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    I actually enjoy the way combat works in this game. I can understand the appeal of wanting that GW2 style of fluid combat, but for NWO, their current combat works great imo. Just takes a little getting used to if you are coming from GW2.
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yea I like how it is here, you really have to decide if you have enough time to do some moves if the boss/whoever has stuff you want to dodge as you might get animation locked. It's not nearly as bad as the animation locking in Tera, but not as easy as GW2. I like the balance.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I like this combat , it really grows on you . You have to go one attack at a time , so you can move if you have to .
  • notaperfectnamenotaperfectname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ikagawa wrote: »
    Why would you want to go back to staid tab-targeting, which slows down the pacing of combat since you would no longer need to think about what you're looking at?

I rarely tabbed, I always select targets manually with the mouse. Having a "free" mouse allows me to check the map, open email, inspect items, etc. I shouldn't have to stop moving just so I can hit Shift+1 for loot (not sure if you can change this setting) I'm used to hardcore multitasking and this game is rather slow paced when setup in this manner.

I understand the logic of what they're doing. I'm just suggesting that the "industry standard" style is something I miss and would appreciate.

Regardless, I'm still playing the game and enjoy it.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ikagawa wrote: »

I know it's hard to break old habits, but there is no way this game would work with having free mouse movement. I remember when Tera launched people were wanting the same thing, but in both games would probably take a whole new engine. I never felt GW2 had all that different from the tab targeting of WoW and similar. Almost all the skills i had were either "need target to cast", usually selected by tabbing, or were ground aoe that worked just like WoW, where you click on the spot you want to cast.

Being able to move, yeah, i got spoiled by DDO with that, older game but can do it there. (it could be a latency thing though, DDO has never seemed to be able to crack the lag, and forced pauses could be what fixed that, why newer games do that) I've gotten used to it here though, where i have to decide priority on attacking, moving, or choosing to get out of the way. What i hate are the mobs who put the red down, and then almost instantly hamper me. I'm looking at you arctic wolves. >_<
  • elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    What i hate are the mobs who put the red down, and then almost instantly hamper me. I'm looking at you arctic wolves. >_<

The final boss in the wolf den dungeon feels that way, with the leap smash. At least I always have problems getting the f out of that circle in time and it is SO punishing.
  • rifiellrifiell Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We're finally starting to break free of the dumb tab-targeting that has plagued MMOs for ages and now you want it back... Tab targeting combat just makes the action feel less engaged and more "spam the number keys as fast as possible!" I like the combat in this game. It is a bit less open than Tera but has an oomph to the attacks that I've never seen in an MMO. Monsters even fly back when you kill them.
  • mutharexmutharex Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can't have free mouse in a game that uses an arcade combat (see Tera for example or Dragon Prophet). And the moving during combat part was changed during Beta (before you weren't rooted by the animation), not sure why, maybe to make combat more tactical and avoid bunny hoppers in PvP
  • usersilusersil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy the rooted attack system. Bunny hopping idiots would run rampant without it.
  • tusslebugtusslebug Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having to look at what we are attacking (no mouse pointer) -and- committing to an action (being locked in place for an instant), are the very things that make this combat system fresh and entertaining. It adds a little danger and allows time for a bit of strategy.
    NWN, The Artisan Chronicles
  • murpalmurpal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here is my review so far:

Pros- Not many
    Combat feels different than most MMOs
    Foundry Quests, cool concept
    Abilities linked to keyboard letters rather than the traditional 1-2-3... bar.

Cons- A lot
    So far every combat area I have been in is dark and dingy, with mobs difficult to discern from the background.
    Targetting with reticle is extremely messy, half the time I dont know what mob Im hitting, especially as they stack on-top of eachother.
    Tool tips are often very vague, with no way to discern what attributes best suit my playstyle because they dont give me enough information about what those stats do for me. Some stats just seem to not work at all.
    Gear is abysmally monotonous graphically.
    The wizard 2-finger stance is just - horrid to look at. I look like a proctologist looking for my patient.
    Lacking of any way to lock-on a target for groupmates makes playing a cleric more than a chore...just miserable, especially with all your teammates dodging, hiding behind mobs, and jumping around in general.
    Grouping is tedious, often I zone into a groupmates zone and Im in a different instance. That should never happen, plus there is a waiting period when you enter a zone to switch instances...why?? Other times I cant enter a zone until all my party is there, this seems unnecessary, unless its a group dungeon.
    The quest log is tedious to manage, I cant even figure out why there is a checkmark plus a guide selection...I must be missing something.
    The area event tabs that constantly pop out of my mini-map. I try to hide them and they just pop out again, I dont need to see this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, if I hide it just let it go away!
    Class quests arent marked as such, so a lot of time is spent trying to determine which quests my groupmates share and which they dont because they are class progression.

I know this is just the first few days of open beta, but the list of frustrating and dissappointing things is adding up so much faster than the good things to say, it seems doubtful I will enjoy this game much. If anyone has suggestions to deal with any of these issues Id appreciate it, Im sure there are some things I just dont understand yet.
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I like the current system. Otherwise you could fight without even looking at your enemy, just tab to nearest enemy and smash keyboard. Also when everyone has tab targeting, you can be in pvp and get insta gibbed by 10 unknown attackers. Here, you can slowly become better at noticing when enemies turn toward you and move to avoid getting hit.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I enjoy the combat system as it is immensely. I wasn't looking for more of the "Same 'Ole" and happily NWO delivers on that end.
  • platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tusslebug wrote: »
    Having to look at what we are attacking (no mouse pointer) -and- committing to an action (being locked in place for an instant), are the very things that make this combat system fresh and entertaining. It adds a little danger and allows time for a bit of strategy.

I agree. It took me awhile to get used to, but even at the start I liked it. It makes combat much more interesting than the standard 'watch tv while I spam the 1 key' style of WoW and other games.
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My only issue with the current aim style targeting is accurately targeting the nearly dead ally in a horde of other allies. Is there a way to quickly force my target to become an ally? I'd then just hit focus to ensure my buffs/heals hit them.
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • rapier62rapier62 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm also finding the 'control' system different but 'fresh'. I like having the loot key close to the move keys, and allowing the use of the same key to loot All.

Targeting is different but I think it works better as you need to be looking at your target, not shooting behind you blind :)

So far, in the couple of hours I played, I like it. Keep up the good work :)
  • redrvka1134redrvka1134 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think the combat is perfect just the way it is. i wouldn't change a thing.
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rapier62 wrote: »
    I'm also finding the 'control' system different but 'fresh'. I like having the loot key close to the move keys, and allowing the use of the same key to loot All.

Targeting is different but I think it works better as you need to be looking at your target, not shooting behind you blind :)

So far, in the couple of hours I played, I like it. Keep up the good work :)

Agreed, the targetting system does take a certain degree of skill which take a little time to be come accustomed to, but it makes the game much less of a numbers game and allows for skill to prevail over gear in most cases
  • redrvka1134redrvka1134 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i like it this way. it may be a bit frustrating but it's more realistic. just imagine if it were real life, it WOULD be very frustrating if your allies are in the way when you're trying to heal someone but you can't just heal through them, you have to just try to get in position to heal the right target and hope you make it in time. it adds a fresh layer to healing if you ask me.
  • notaperfectnamenotaperfectname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Apparently I'm the minority.

Someone brought up a good point, in a pack of mobs you can quickly lose your low HP guy and be forced to move and hopefully navigate the mouse to highlight them again . You can argue its lame and you can argue its skill but it just comes off like the latter. However, it does stop people from spamming I suppose.

I also find it interesting you could originally move while attacking and they took it out.

The mouse and its sensitivity can be arguably more important that your "skill" in game. Thankfully I have a full dpi adjustable mouse otherwise I'd feel very pressured to purchase one.
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Might make it better for you, won't make it better for me. Opinions aren't facts.
  • pantslessbanditpantslessbandit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Moving while attacking is highly exploitable. You would literally be able to circle enemies while hitting them with slows and combos to nuke down entire groups, and never get a scratch. The reason you have to stop to attack, is because the alternative is every time you do get hit, it nearly kills you, because you rarely get hit. This is not an ideal system for a game, no one like dying because they made one mistake. With the way the system is, there is allowance for mistakes, and room for skills to shine.
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Being able to move while you attack and free movement of the mouse while playing.

Coming from WoW and GW2 these features are taken for granted but when I deal with them in this game it feels like it's broken and completely foreign.

While I'm in no way saying this game should mimic those games, these features keep battle fast paced and exciting.

Hitting Alt to use the mouse and combo shift keys for loot disengages me from the game's flow.

Not sure what the challenges of implementing these would be but I feel most people would appreciate these features.

I like the controls quite a bit, and would much rather have these than those more WoW like. These controls make gameplay much more involving, so skill in controlling means more than your macro buttons. Changing these would steal away most of the fun stuff from me, just to make another WoW clone.

Edit: and what the poster above just said, I completely agree with him.
  • ikagawaikagawa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 106
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    My only issue with the current aim style targeting is accurately targeting the nearly dead ally in a horde of other allies. Is there a way to quickly force my target to become an ally? I'd then just hit focus to ensure my buffs/heals hit them.

I don't have an issue with that really, because it makes it so the game doesn't relegate all responsibility for success to rest solely on the healer's shoulders. All players should be monitoring their health and either dodging around to avoid incoming damage, or using potions to offset it.