test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gold, Astral Diamonds, Seals, Trade Bars...so many currencies!

blazingfistblazingfist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm kind of confused. I'm using to only having Gold in a game. Can anyone explain what all the currencies are and how to get/what they are used for? I've talked to the NPCs in game and checked the wiki, but that's not much information to go on...
Post edited by blazingfist on

Comments

• Options
    rasereiamokrasereiamok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter will soon be renamed to: ZEN Online

AKA Cash Shop Online

All the currencies except Astral Diamonds and Zen are useless. Seems like they are focused on making money rather than making an epic game.
    I'm the #1 MMORPG player in the universe!
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter will soon be renamed to: ZEN Online

AKA Cash Shop Online

All the currencies except Astral Diamonds and Zen are useless. Seems like they are focused on making money rather than making an epic game.

Woah woah woah! A company who made a free to play game wants to make money?!?! UNHEARD OF!!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    This doesn't really help me out any. :(
  • Options
    opomopoopomopo Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Woah woah woah! A company who made a free to play game wants to make money?!?! UNHEARD OF!!!
    Obviously games want to make money, I'd have to agree that they've gone too far in trying to make money. I mean honestly, even /gold/ is borderline useless. What game can you honestly say has the main currency that is dropped by enemies, to be useless?
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm kind of confused. I'm using to only having Gold in a game. Can anyone explain what all the currencies are and how to get/what they are used for? I've talked to the NPCs in game and checked the wiki, but that's not much information to go on...

Gold - some profession stuff, class/injury kits, potions
    Astral Diamonds - auction house, wondrous bazaar (id scrolls, enchant stones), can convert to Zen
    Zen - cash shop - cosmetic stuff, mounts, etc
    Seals - blue gear, get them from bosses in dungeons and randomly in the world
    Bars - some gear, companions, etc (only obtained from nightmare chests to my knowledge)
    Coins - from invoking daily, extra cosmetic/etc rewards
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its to stop gold spammers .
    Its hard to afk mine AD or seals .
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have a lot of currencies, but they all have a different purpose from Cryptic's point of view.

Astral Diamonds are your primary and most important currency. You use this on the Auction House, to buy rare gear, some of the best companions, and other awesome stuff. You also use diamonds to make cosmetic changes to your gear and to extract enchantments after you have already put them in a gear slot. Get diamonds from Leadership, from selling things on the auction house, and from doing daily quests. These include a daily skirmish, dungeon, Foundry and PvP quests, all of which net you diamonds.

Gold is a minor currency in this game. It is useful primarily for buying potions, skill kits, and your mount, and additional companions. You can buy some leveling gear with it from vendors. It drops off mobs and you get it from chests.

Zen is the Real World Money part of the equation. You buy Zen with real money, $1 = 100 Zen. You can then buy stuff from the Zen market -- like character slots or storage space, elite companions and so on -- or you can SELL the Zen for Astral Diamonds. The best price for this is 500 diamonds / 1 point of zen. The worst price is 50 diamonds / 1 point of Zen. Right now, the market is very much at the "Best" end. You can sell zen for a ton of diamonds right now. It almost cannot get any better.\

Seals are special items you get from dungeon bosses. You can use them to buy top gear at various levels. You can also get Seals by trading in Bounty items. These are drops which fall in each zone, and in that zone is a Bounty Master who will take your bounties for a seal. It takes 40 items to get 1 seal though, so this is a tough way to get seals.

Finally, you have Coins. You get these by invoking the gods, usually limited to once a day. These are Cryptic's versions of veteran rewards and a daily log-in reward. If you fail to log in for a 30 hour period, one of these two sorts of coins -- the daily type -- will all go away. But if you save them up for 3 or 5 or 7 days, you can buy some rewards with them. Your other coin will accumulate every day, and never go away unless you spend them. At low level, these coins can be spent to buy various potions or buffs, but at the highest level, they can be used for an angel companion and other more permanent stuff.
  • Options
    ayamataayamata Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 290 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    Gold - some profession stuff, class/injury kits, potions
    Astral Diamonds - auction house, wondrous bazaar (id scrolls, enchant stones), can convert to Zen
    Zen - cash shop - cosmetic stuff, mounts, etc
    Seals - blue gear, get them from bosses in dungeons and randomly in the world
    Bars - some gear, companions, etc (only obtained from nightmare chests to my knowledge)
    Coins - from invoking daily, extra cosmetic/etc rewards

Also, seals vary upon level and can be obtained from doing certain dungeons.
    For example, Seals of the Lion will get you Blue 20+ gear.
    While Seals of the Unicorn will get you Purple (Very Rare) 60 Tier 1 gear~
    lunapic_136818015258135_1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the info! Some questions that I still have though :

1. Ok, so I can change lower ranked Seals into higher ranked ones?

2. How does one get Trade Bars?

3. Can you buy Rank 2 and 3 mounts with Gold? If not, I guess they are just for potions. :(
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bump! /10char
  • Options
    elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Ok, so I can change lower ranked Seals into higher ranked ones?
    2. How does one get Trade Bars?
    3. Can you buy Rank 2 and 3 mounts with Gold? If not, I guess they are just for potions. :(
    1) no, the lower ones are pretty useless as you cannot get enough by killing mobs while you at that level and they are not worth astral coins

2) was said, only from nightmare boxes, which means buying ZEN/AD keys, forget about these completely. It needs a lot of them open. Bars acts as "consolation prize"

3) directly, no. Indirectly, yes as you can get AD for your gold in the end of day
  • Options
    ganjaman1ganjaman1 Member Posts: 792 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    Its to stop gold spammers .
    Its hard to afk mine AD or seals .

Yesterday I recieved a mail from a gold seller , they are already here sadly :(
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Tarmalune Bars are like the Lobi Crystals from STO.

Every time you open a lockbox, you're guaranteed a random sum of Bars. If you collect enough you can buy special items (Like the Flame Archon companion, Twilight Nightmare Steed, Ioun Stone of Might and Pharoah's Steed.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    3) directly, no. Indirectly, yes as you can get AD for your gold in the end of day

How does one convert gold to AD?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Bump! /10char
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013

It is an attempt to ward off Chinese Gold farmers.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It's an interesting system, though I dislike the way they are shoving Cash Shop purchases down our throats instead. Still, I have to give Cryptic kudos for changing the economy of the game outright rather than having half-baked gameplay solutions.

But if the gold farmers are still spamming and farming, it doesn't seem to have worked...I guess only time will tell.
  • Options
    wingofbenuwingofbenu Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »

because, you know, its impossible to make money without being obnoxious about it.
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    wingofbenu wrote: »
    because, you know, its impossible to make money without being obnoxious about it.

God I'd really love it if someone passed around this counter argument around at the official fanboy meetings. Its like no matter how many times you tell them, another shows up to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out the "They have to make money somehow!" fallacy.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC