test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So Many Questions

everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As a working parent with a zillion things pulling at me I haven't had time to really look at every video, read every post on the game mechanics and how things work...hopefully the playerbase can help answer some of my questions.

1) In other games I am used to monsters conning their level so you can see how dangerous they are. NW does not seem to have this system. How do monster levels work and how can you tell relative danger to your level?

2) Grouping in COH players/friends of different levels could always play together by first the exemplar system than finaly assigning a group level based upon the mission holder. Can friends of wildlly different levels group/dungeon crawl together? (I am not talking about power-leveling).

3) Lockboxes, do keys drop or can you only purchase them with zen or player key merchants (people who buy keys and then sell them for ADs) on the market?

4) Player customization. I have gotten several differerent robes for my CW, and they all look the same. The only thing I have seen in the market is the peasant rags. How can I customize and make my character unique? The only thing I have found is the tri-corn hat. I know a founder gets a full fancy outfit, but are cosmetic outfits can only be purchased via zen?

5) Companion weapons and gear. Just got my first companion and I notice she can be sloted with a gear icon. Can it be any level? Your level or below? Below the companion's level? When do the other slots open up (I am assuming when they reach a certain level after training.)

6) What the heck does Life Steal and Armor Penetration really do? Why would I even want gear with these attributes? Will my holds work better with armor penetrations so I can actualy hold the epic bosses?

7) In playing my CW, my 3rd encounter slot opens up (becomes available for use) several points before I can choose a 3rd encounter power. Why? This makes no sense. Seems like there are more daily choices than encounter powers in the early levels. Is there a reason for this? This seems to be bass-akwards.

8) Anybody know a way to disable or change the windows key? Doesn't seem to be an option in the keymapping and I invariably hit that thing in the middle of a fight and end up seeing my desktop. So annoying.

9) is there a particular reason why there are at least 5 different currencies in the game? Is anybody else as confused as I am between different seals, bars, rough and astral diamonds, zen, and the holy coins...

10) Doing tower district getting lots of teeth and bones, find those mugs, but when I go to bounty merchant he only wants the insignia's. Where the heck do you turn these other bounty rewards in or are these things just things to trade for coin treasure?

Well that's enough questions for now. Thanks in advance.
Post edited by everwindgale on

Comments

• Options
    ledarrledarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1) In other games I am used to monsters conning their level so you can see how dangerous they are. NW does not seem to have this system. How do monster levels work and how can you tell relative danger to your level?
    Most quest areas seem to be level appropriate, can you go into a higher zone, sure can but you get a message that states that you are going to die.

2) Grouping in COH players/friends of different levels could always play together by first the exemplar system than finaly assigning a group level based upon the mission holder. Can friends of wildlly different levels group/dungeon crawl together? (I am not talking about power-leveling).
    Not sure, I just queue up and take my chances, but I believe you can be powered through, but the higher level guy may have to manually enter the dungeon.

3) Lockboxes, do keys drop or can you only purchase them with zen or player key merchants (people who buy keys and then sell them for ADs) on the market?

Sucks by it is going to cost you cash to open up the lock boxes, I have not done this, the forums are full of those who have opened them and those who won’t, let your wallet be your guide.

4) Player customization. I have gotten several differerent robes for my CW, and they all look the same. The only thing I have seen in the market is the peasant rags. How can I customize and make my character unique? The only thing I have found is the tri-corn hat. I know a founder gets a full fancy outfit, but are cosmetic outfits can only be purchased via zen?

Can you say Cookie Cutter.

5) Companion weapons and gear. Just got my first companion and I notice she can be sloted with a gear icon. Can it be any level? Your level or below? Below the companion's level? When do the other slots open up (I am assuming when they reach a certain level after training.)

Not sure so far I have been able to put everything in that I wanted , but you are limited to the type of equipment for your toon.

6) What the heck does Life Steal and Armor Penetration really do? Why would I even want gear with these attributes? Will my holds work better with armor penetrations so I can actualy hold the epic bosses?

No clue sorry, I assume life steal, is exactly that you damage someone and you steal some life, but I have yet to see that really work when you are getting smacked by 10 mobs at once in a solo instance.

7) In playing my CW, my 3rd encounter slot opens up (becomes available for use) several points before I can choose a 3rd encounter power. Why? This makes no sense. Seems like there are more daily choices than encounter powers in the early levels. Is there a reason for this? This seems to be bass-akwards.

Question for a game developer, but yes I did have an empty slot before I could put something in it.

8) Anybody know a way to disable or change the windows key? Doesn't seem to be an option in the keymapping and I invariably hit that thing in the middle of a fight and end up seeing my desktop. So annoying.

LOL, **** fingers always working against players

9) is there a particular reason why there are at least 5 different currencies in the game? Is anybody else as confused as I am between different seals, bars, rough and astral diamonds, zen, and the holy coins...

Yes, that is a questions I would like answered, many games seem to go that route, Gold, Seals, Zone based collectables which you can purchase things will, DnD should in my opinion be Gold based. I am not impressed with the Astral Diamonds model. Through this may settle after a few weeks when prices come down to realistic levels.

10) Doing tower district getting lots of teeth and bones, find those mugs, but when I go to bounty merchant he only wants the insignia's. Where the heck do you turn these other bounty rewards in or are these things just things to trade for coin treasure

Unless I am wrong not everything is useful, if it is a mat, it will say so, teeth seem to be vendor trash.
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ledarr wrote: »
    10) Doing tower district getting lots of teeth and bones, find those mugs, but when I go to bounty merchant he only wants the insignia's. Where the heck do you turn these other bounty rewards in or are these things just things to trade for coin treasure

Unless I am wrong not everything is useful, if it is a mat, it will say so, teeth seem to be vendor trash.

I noticed these items on th AH, I thought they were just trash as no detail on what they are for

Great Questions and Great answers, enlightened me a bit more on some of my ?? moments in the game
  • Options
    everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited May 2013
    So it sounds like it will be difficult to play with friends unless you all decide to only play at the same times, or wait to you reach the cap level and then you can play together....That really sucks.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    #1: There is no easy indicator for this. But zones which are above your level will be marked in red when you go to a city gate. If you are worried, run Foundry quests. These missions always scale to your level.

#2: There is no sidekick system in NWO and devs have suggested they are not keen on adding one. I don't know what happens when players of different levels go into the Foundry, but this will be hit or miss for you when grouping. Foundry missions can be made extremely hard, good for groups, or for solo players, which groups will find too easy.

#3: Keys can only be bought with Zen.

#4: There are three cosmetic outfits in the Zen market, but customization and appearance of items is Neverwinter's biggest problem right now. We all look the same.

#5: Yes, you can equip an item of any class and level in that slot. Mouse over the slots to see when they open. It is 15/20/25/30 if I recall correctly.

#6: Life Steal gives you hit points whenever you do damage. It is a self-heal. It is important if you don't want to use a cleric companion. Since you do have a cleric, you can go without Life Steal. Armor Penetration is a strategic choice for players who are willing to give up raw power for, instead, reducing the defense of their target. It works better on bosses than raw Power.

#7: Other classes don't have this problem because their Tab power fills in with a class-specific power. Wizards can use more encounter powers than other classes, so we have this problem. It is confusing and not intuitive, you are absolutely right. But that is what it is.

#8: I cannot help you here.

#9: Each currency does something different. Coins keep you logging in every day. Gold is for mounts, companions, and vendor gear. Diamonds is your main currency, used in the auction house and for all the cool stuff you really want. Zen is the "Real money" part of the equation and can be traded for diamonds in game. And then there are Seals, which are used to buy good gear from vendors. There is a lot of currency. But they each do something different.

#10: Those items are "Treasure." They can just be sold at a vendor for coin.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the info. If nothing else D&D is supposed to be a group adventuring game, and if I cant consistently play with friends until we are all at the level cap than I think Cryptic has really missed the spirit of the game. Sure I can do PUGs, but everybody levels at different speeds, but i want to be able to play with friends on the journey....heavy sigh.

The really sad thing is i did see some of the videos done by some of the gaming sites and none of them asked detailed questions like these. They seemed to have been paid advertisements or fanboy interviews rather than meaningful reviews.
  • Options
    viktta1viktta1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hi there,

I dont have permission to open a new thread so thats why Im posting (the most similar topic I found).

I just started to play yesterday and I really like this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game. But I just got a n00bish question:
    How the hell can I restore HP out of combat? My only way to restore HP is via potions... not a good way :)

thank u everybody,

have a good one
  • Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the portable alters restore health and you can do your hourly prayer there too .
    also regeneration heals you all the time , even out of combat . The lower your health the better it works , so regen till your within range of your potion then use just one . Don't use potion first you will regen slower.
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    viktta1 wrote: »
    hi there,

I dont have permission to open a new thread so thats why Im posting (the most similar topic I found).

I just started to play yesterday and I really like this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> game. But I just got a n00bish question:
    How the hell can I restore HP out of combat? My only way to restore HP is via potions... not a good way :)

thank u everybody,

have a good one

Honestly?
    Campfires
    Potions (they are cheep and plentiful)
    Portable Alters (a more expensive alternative)
    High Regeneration (good if you can manage, but you loose out on other, more useful combat attributes)
    Play/Partner with a Cleric ( a particularly cool class in this game. I was pleasantly surprised)

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jorifice1 wrote: »
    Honestly?
    Campfires
    Potions (they are cheep and plentiful)
    Portable Alters (a more expensive alternative)
    High Regeneration (good if you can manage, but you loose out on other, more useful combat attributes)
    Play/Partner with a Cleric ( a particularly cool class in this game. I was pleasantly surprised)

I would add once your high enough level you can get a cleric companion too!

Each class has a movement function like the CW teleport. If You keep moving away from the red stuff on the ground, you won't take as much damage. It took me a while to get used to this. This is not a game you can stand still and just swing away. Postional tactics are very important.
  • Options
    platinuplatinu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some good answers to some of your questions. I'm bored at work so I'll take a stab at filling in gaps.

If you have someone that is either too high or too low to enter a dungeon in your group, the entire group has to either reform without that player or physically travel to the dungeon 'door' and zone in there as a group. A level 60 can, for example, physically zone into the Cloak Tower and carry a group of level 11 people with him/her. I would imagine the experience 'per mob' wouldn't be very high though.

Another way to customize gear 'look' is to right-click an item of gear and go to 'appearance'. You can put another item of that type into the slot there, and the first item will take on that look. I have given a sword the appearance of an axe in this way.

A weird bit of trivia, at level 4 you can have a rank 1 companion and if it has a gear slot open, you can put any level that fits the requirement. For example, my level 29 control wizard has a cleric with a level 60 weapon equipped. It has a ton of crit and she gets the full crit in her stats. I've removed the item and watched her crit stat drop for that amount. Re-slotting it, the crit stat goes back by the item's crit value. I would imagine this will be fixed eventually.

I don't think, at this time at least, that we can ever 'hold' epic bosses. I've never been able to hold any boss in any dungeon so far, or even elite monsters while soloing.

This is how I did it awhile back. The computer I have now I haven't bothered but this is pretty simple: http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-20079677-285/how-to-disable-your-keyboard-windows-key/
    [/QUOTE]
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013

Mobs are at a level equal to the Quest a level 10 Quest will have level 10 mobs a level 15 quest has level 15 mobs and so on. Foundry Quests are always equal level to you.

Well you can do but one of you will be horribly over or underleveled as there no up or down scaling ATM.

Only sold in Zen store best way to get them for free is to use the PWE free Zen promo stuff like watching the video clips.

You should find a few combat robes that look difference later on, (differnce could be minior though) you should have a free set of Peasant Rags, dunno if any other can be gotten out side of Zen.

Any item of that type can be equipped on them. Your right with the slots its with companion level ranks they unlock theres a tooltip that says when 2nd rune is 10 and 2nd item is 15. Note there is a Cap to pet level based on quality though.

Life Steal gives you some life back on each hit, cant remember the numbers though.
    Armor Penetration reduces the damage reduction of your target, you want good Armor Pen vs a tank type mob or player (basically it the anti defence stat).

Bad deign by Cryptic, when they changed the leveling system for powers between BW 3 & 4. the rogue gets a lvl 4 passive that pointless until he hits level 10 for the same reason, they made changes but didnt look at the skill placements.

Sorry cant help you :( I had the same problem in the past, try switching to Boarder-less Window mode then game wont minimize reducing the disruption I hope as the game wont minimize.

Dunno why there's so many other than to drive us crazy.

10) Doing tower district getting lots of teeth and bones, find those mugs, but when I go to bounty merchant he only wants the insignia's. Where the heck do you turn these other bounty rewards in or are these things just things to trade for coin treasure?

These are just Vendor junk items.
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013
    1) As I see from another question, you are a COH refugee. Cryptic's current games are very much like COH except the difficulty curve is much shallower then COH (i.e. the Purple Patch). Monsters that are above your level will be red if you look at the level indicate to the left of their health bar when you target them. And in regards to difficulty, you can take out monsters that are +5. And monsters that are -5 levels to you won't aggro against you. But they are still a danger if you aggro them.

2) Cryptic's new engine does have a sidekick/examplaring system. But it has not been implemented in Neverwinter that I can see.

3) Lockbox keys are Zen Store items. But they are not bound when purchased. So players can trade/sell the Keys to other players.

4) From what I have observed, the gear for each class have two, or more looks. But they looks seem to have the same overall style. The epic gears that I've seem seem to have their own unique styles as well. And they are gear pieces which have their own unique look which are certain quest rewards or boss loot drops. As to costume set pieces, the only ones that I have that are not part of the promo or Z-Store sets are the peasant cloths you are from Sgt. Knox at the start.. I suspect that costume pieces may come eventually from Professions. It seems like a logical and eventual outcome.

5) Companions can use any gears that is your character's level or less. You companion can even use gear that your character can't.

6) Life Steal is a percentage of the damage that you do to a target is given do you as Health. Armor Penetration is a percentage of the target's damage resistance that you ignore. Both stats only deal with direct or indirect damage dealt to a target.

7) Up until the 3rd beta weekend. Power progression was fixed for each class. Asfter listening to player feedback, they developed the point systems powers. The new power tiers they setup, the Control Wizard is out one Encounter power becaue of their Spell Mastery ability which gives essentially a 4th Encounter Power slot.

8) Dunno about this one. I don't do Windows. :) (I'm a Linux/Unix guy).

9) Currencis in the game, well each has a specific use. Gold is for basic consumables and gear (i.e. potions, gear, mounts). The multiple Seals are for Tier of better (Blue quality) gear, (and tiers are the level bans 1-19, 20-29, 30-39, etc).

Trade Bars are a secondary prize/currency for the Lockboxes. If you don't get the grand prize, you can use the Trade bars for something in the Trade Bar store outside fo the Market (Next to the Wondrous Bazaar). Even if you don't get the big prize, you can acquire enough trade bars for an equivalent big prize from the Trade Bar store. (Basically about $80-$100 worth Zen to get the store big prize).

Astral Diamonds is what Cryptic called a time currency. Basically you earn this currency for doing certain Daily missions in the game or participating in running game events. You earn the raw current which much be converted into the refined currency. The daily refining limit is to control the amount of curreny that enters the player economy. The reason for this is because Cryptic's time currencies can traded for the cash store currecy (Zen points) in Exchanges in each Cryptic game. This game economy is how player are able to get anything in the game or the cash store w/o have to spend a single unit of real money.

10) Teeth, Bones,, Mugs, Cracked Sapphires, etc are just small bits of treasure you can sell at store for Gold. It's just D&D flavor items. No adventurer would their salt would leave behind any bit of treasure they can sell. ;)
  • Options
    minemoleminemole Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    #8. If you are hitting the Windows key because you are fumbling for the ALT key, you can remap the keybind for Toggle Cursor Mode (which is Left ALT by default). You can also remap Utility Power (SHIFT), if that is the culprit.
  • Options
    clansman2013clansman2013 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know what happens when players of different levels go into the Foundry, but this will be hit or miss for you when grouping. Foundry missions can be made extremely hard, good for groups, or for solo players, which groups will find too easy.

I can answer this one. Myself and 2 other friends all quite different levels went into a Foundry mission last night, 10 seconds in, the entire server blew up. So my advice, don't do it :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]