test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Arcane Crystals and other rare crafting items

kevlairkevlair Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've been trying to obtain an Arcane Crystal for use in Platesmithing...in the description is says they can be found in booster packs purchased in the Zen store or by performing "Skill Checks". Anyone have any idea what a "Skill Check" is or how its accomplished?
Caslav Macenvanje
Guardian Fighter
Post edited by kevlair on

Comments

• Options
    toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Skill checks" refer to the skill nodes out in the world. You make a "skill check" to use them.
  • Options
    kevlairkevlair Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay thanks! Are these skill nodes in random places or are they set areas?
    Caslav Macenvanje
    Guardian Fighter
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kevlair wrote: »
    I've been trying to obtain an Arcane Crystal for use in Platesmithing...in the description is says they can be found in booster packs purchased in the Zen store or by performing "Skill Checks". Anyone have any idea what a "Skill Check" is or how its accomplished?

Check the AH. I know I have some up there right now... however I don't think many people are browsing the AH right now because the filters don't work and the interface is real buggy.

I think at this point people are just dumping stuff to sell. I know I haven't been able to sell much, even undercutting the next cheapest price by 10%.
  • Options
    deepdiggerdeepdigger Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cant find any in the AH on Mindflayer.
    Under which category are they listed?
  • Options
    vythicalvythical Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know when I went to search the AH for these it kind of hiccuped. I typed in the name for the search twice and it showed that there was none available. But when I was searching for something else it suddenly showed there were about 10 arcane crystals listed. Maybe if you play around with the AH a bit it may show you some.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Skill Checks are the items you find in quests or around the zones (even in Protector's Enclave if I recall correctly). These are those weird little intractable boxes you run into that require a specific skill, like Dungeoneering, Religion, Thievery, etc. It's also why you may want to find "Kits" - so you can open those Skill Check boxes intended for skills other than your own.

For example: The Cleric has Religion, the Wizard has Arcana, etc.

You find these "Skill Loot" throughout your quests and zones. However: if you only follow the golden path in these places you will miss many, if not most of these. This is why it is a good idea to slowdowd and *explore*. A lot. Also - wherever there is an encounter, there is often a chest or Skill Box nearby - so after killing off an encounter mod: search the area thoroughly! This is how you find most chests and Skill Boxes.

Also - one thing I've noticed: the more well-hidden the loot box, the more likely it contains more stuff/rarer stuff! Especially chests.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Finding arcane crystals on the AH has so far eluded me. They don't show up in any category I can find.

If anyone has found these, can they please provide some tips?
  • Options
    famousamos#6123 famousamos Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I have found 3 arcane crystals. All three came from using arcane kits on arcane shrines in the world.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Okay thanks! Are these skill nodes in random places or are they set areas?

I could be wrong, but they always seem to me to be in the exact same spot, in world or dungeons.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    You find these "Skill Loot" throughout your quests and zones. However: if you only follow the golden path in these places you will miss many, if not most of these. This is why it is a good idea to slowdowd and *explore*. A lot. Also - wherever there is an encounter, there is often a chest or Skill Box nearby - so after killing off an encounter mod: search the area thoroughly! This is how you find most chests and Skill Boxes.

Also - one thing I've noticed: the more well-hidden the loot box, the more likely it contains more stuff/rarer stuff! Especially chests.

Good advice.