test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[FEEDBACK, SUGGESTIONS] Please add these systems to NWO.

lordxenitelordxenite Member Posts: 172 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
After playing Cryptic-created games since 2005, I've seen some interesting game systems and mechanics that I think would benefit Neverwinter. I would like to enumerate these ideas and also add the source of the mechanics/system for further reference by interested parties.

1) Sidekick/Mentoring system. This system allows players to play together through content despite having level disparities. (Source: Champions Online, Star Trek Online)

2) XP Redirecting. This system allows players to redirect XP-gain towards other goals such as leveling-up companions, boosting crafting assignments or perhaps even directly gaining Astral Diamonds. (Source: City of Heroes/Villains Fame/Infamy versus XP)

3) Weapon Skins. This system allows players to choose different skins (graphic models), once earned, for the weapons they use. Each weapon-skin can be configured to select and slot the character's abilities and thus provide a quick and easy way for players to customize their powers without having to switch them individually. Each time you switch to a different weapon-skin (i.e. a different build) a cool-down is started during which you cannot switch to a different weapon-skin. (Source: Champions Online Build system)

4) Power Selection Arena. This system allows players to experiment with powers and use them in combat before actually buying those powers with the power points gained when leveling. The idea is that a player enters the Arena and fights off waves of pre-selected enemies to see how their power-choices affect combat. (Source: Champions Online PowerHouse system)

I'm trying to remain within the realm of game features already implemented by Cryptic in their previous games, but the more ideas the merrier! :cool:
Post edited by lordxenite on

Comments

• Options
    kill4kaytkill4kayt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Lets just stick with NW as the short hand. NWO sounds to revolutiony, and I think is already trademarked.
    Close The World.txeN ehT nepO
  • Options
    bluntdragon1bluntdragon1 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    add /dance
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nice suggestions.
  • Options
    kill4kaytkill4kayt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    add /dance

there is 5 of them. You just aren't doing it wrong.

/em
    • dancefolk
    • dancesnake
    • danceseductive
    Close The World.txeN ehT nepO
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1. Definitely need this. No question. City of heroes did this better than any MMO I've ever played. At least until guild wars 2 came out and took the crown from them (plus they died, sadface)

2. That... hm... that's an interesting one, I'm not sure though. Level 60s could really take advantage of that obviously since there is no exp to be gained.

3. No brainer, I'm all for anything that lets us customize looks beyond the deplorable state of what we have in game that passes for variety.

4. Not really sold on this one. I mean, it could be nice but... I dunno. I guess if they implemented number 1 it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do something like this.
  • Options
    lottiemclottiemc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just a note: the mentor/sidekick system was originally used (and, I believe, developed) by Cryptic for City of Heroes.

Lottie
  • Options
    johsarwolfjohsarwolf Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lottiemc wrote: »
    Just a note: the mentor/sidekick system was originally used (and, I believe, developed) by Cryptic for City of Heroes.

Lottie

^ this :)

The only MMO where Loot doesn't matters.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    pizzamurai wrote: »
    1. Definitely need this. No question. City of heroes did this better than any MMO I've ever played. At least until guild wars 2 came out and took the crown from them (plus they died, sadface)

2. That... hm... that's an interesting one, I'm not sure though. Level 60s could really take advantage of that obviously since there is no exp to be gained.

3. No brainer, I'm all for anything that lets us customize looks beyond the deplorable state of what we have in game that passes for variety.

4. Not really sold on this one. I mean, it could be nice but... I dunno. I guess if they implemented number 1 it wouldn't be terribly difficult to do something like this.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Regarding XP-redirection (#2), the whole idea is that it allows players to decide how to level their character and when to temporarily stop leveling up so they could progress their character while not out-leveling content. Obviously for max-level characters this system should work differently, or perhaps be entirely disabled.

About weapon skins, I wanted to sort of kill two birds with one stone. Not only will this introduce power-slot-switching but this system could inject more life to NW because Cryptic could sprinkle new weapon models as quest rewards, vendor-items or interactive objects we could obtain through exploration!

Feature number 4 is very crucial for helping players plot out their character-builds and explore new ways to play existing characters. Imagine buying a Respec token only to waste it on selecting a build you read about on the forums but end up disliking? The solution... trying out the build before committing to it, something that Champions Online already allows people to do.
  • Options
    pizzamuraipizzamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lottiemc wrote: »

Lottie

I'm not sure. That was so long ago I don't even remember if that was before they got handed off to paragon studios. I want to say it was like that for launch, so you're probably right.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure. That was so long ago I don't even remember if that was before they got handed off to paragon studios. I want to say it was like that for launch, so you're probably right.
    It wasn't like that for launch, but it was Cryptic that added it and not Paragon Studios (who, as far as I know, were mostly Cryptic employees who decided to stay with CoH/V)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    lordxenite wrote: »

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Regarding XP-redirection (#2), the whole idea is that it allows players to decide how to level their character and when to temporarily stop leveling up so they could progress their character while not out-leveling content. Obviously for max-level characters this system should work differently, or perhaps be entirely disabled.

Feature number 4 is very crucial for helping players plot out their character-builds and explore new ways to play existing characters. Imagine buying a Respec token only to waste it on selecting a build you read about on the forums but end up disliking? The solution... trying out the build before committing to it, something that Champions Online already allows people to do.

The major issue with the exp re-direction is that the game itself is -painfully- linear in its progression. If you skip one or two quests, you could very very very quickly end up 2 levels behind the content unless you spam other means to catch up. So, I could really only see this working for level 60s unless they add more zones to give us choices where we want to level up.

The problem with number 4, and the reason I doubt it'll ever be implemented... is precisely -because- they sell respec tokens. If there was an arena to test out your builds, there would never be any need whatsoever for a respec token for the average person and they'd lose out on a good bit of money from people who screw up with trial and error. It sounds cold, and it is, but it's true I think.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    It wasn't like that for launch, but it was Cryptic that added it and not Paragon Studios (who, as far as I know, were mostly Cryptic employees who decided to stay with CoH/V)

Well, Jack Emmert will always be statesman to me =P
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Well, Jack Emmert will always be statesman to me =P
    Same here :)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The major issue with the exp re-direction is that the game itself is -painfully- linear in its progression. If you skip one or two quests, you could very very very quickly end up 2 levels behind the content unless you spam other means to catch up. So, I could really only see this working for level 60s unless they add more zones to give us choices where we want to level up.
    If players play through a few Foundry missions, do some Skirmishes and Dungeon delves for the Daily Quests they can quite quickly out-level entire zones. As an example, I missed out on the Lair of the Mad Dragon quest/dungeon because I out-leveled it, playing a Foundry mission, before even getting to the dungeon's door! If I could re-direct the XP from that Foundry mission to my crafting progression for example, that would allow me to not miss out on any content at all. Clearly I can find a group to do the Lair of the Mad Dragon so it's not a big deal but rather a nice-to-have.

The problem with number 4, and the reason I doubt it'll ever be implemented... is precisely -because- they sell respec tokens. If there was an arena to test out your builds, there would never be any need whatsoever for a respec token for the average person and they'd lose out on a good bit of money from people who screw up with trial and error. It sounds cold, and it is, but it's true I think.
    This idea is meant both as a learning tool for players learning to play their class for the first time, but also as a tool for PvP'ers min/maxers so they could invest their Respec tokens efficiently. PvP'ers will constantly buy Respec tokens anyway because they go through cycles of adapting popular builds and then trying to figure out builds that trump them; while min/maxers are nerfed out of their effectiveness by changes in the game and once they get their free-respec token (as compensation for changes to powers) they would highly appreciate Cryptic helping them in their min/maxing efforts instead of forcing them into guesswork.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    3) Weapon Skins. This system allows players to choose different skins (graphic models), once earned, for the weapons they use.

We can currently apply the appearance of one weapon to another, destroying the weapon used to grant the cosmetic appearance in the process.

It's a more traditional gear-MMO way of doing things, but it does exist.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »
    We can currently apply the appearance of one weapon to another, destroying the weapon used to grant the cosmetic appearance in the process.

Sadly, a lot of weapons won't overwrite other weapons (like axes for example)

Cloaks often won't change over cloaks, or necklaces etc. A lot of needless restrictions.
  • Options
    michelleswnmichelleswn Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm having a very difficult time with my Trickster Rogue and the stealth bar. Please allow us to move that stupid stealth bar. It is very distracting.

I can move all UI elements but not the stealth bar? Is there a PvP reason for that?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    acylion wrote: »

Cool, I wasn't aware of that since I thought appearances had to do with dying your clothes only. I guess all we need then is a power preset switching.
    Sadly, a lot of weapons won't overwrite other weapons (like axes for example)

Cloaks often won't change over cloaks, or necklaces etc. A lot of needless restrictions.
    Perhaps all this will be fixed with future patches.
    I'm having a very difficult time with my Trickster Rogue and the stealth bar. Please allow us to move that stupid stealth bar. It is very distracting.

I can move all UI elements but not the stealth bar? Is there a PvP reason for that?
    Hopefully these UI elements will be moveable with future patches. My Cleric is Devote but doesn't like that energy-gun FPS-style gauge either. ;)
  • Options
    mmogiochimmogiochi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too have a feedback.

In my opinion, during the dialogue, the facial expressions of the NPCs do not convey what the narrative voice and the lyrics would want convey. It 's just a small defect in a so elaborate graphics, but still remains an aspect that affects the experience of playing on an emotional level.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Quite surprised these things aren't in this game either. I had come to believe that these items as well as account storage and account currency story and guild currency storage was simply a standard system of features to be used in all projects from STO onward.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Quite surprised these things aren't in this game either. I had come to believe that these items as well as account storage and account currency story and guild currency storage was simply a standard system of features to be used in all projects from STO onward.
    There are probably business reasons regarding project scope and different versions of individual system core components that restricted the team's focus to a narrower feature-list so here's hoping the project's scope will expand! :)