test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Change Request - ability to add chests

vanturivanturi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2013 in The Foundry
I realize they are making only 1 treasure chest per quest so that people are loading quests with treasure.

But, I like to create quests that are long enough to feel worthwhile and engaging. If I've got a single quest in a campaign that has 5 or 6 custom maps, all with plenty of beasties, why shouldn't we be able to add in a couple extra chests? Maybe they can put some restrictions on it, like the chest won't be visible to the player until they kill at least x number of encounters.
This seems reasonable to me.
Any thoughts?
(I just feel limited in so many ways when I think about all I could do with NWN)
-Vanturi

Comments

• Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think this will happen because then you will get a long hallway with x number of mobs, a treasure chest, a long hall way treasure chest... etc... those boring empty rooms with nothing but a horde of mobs are already out there and boring as hell. This would just encourage that even more in my opinion.

I understand your request and would like to see a way to reward the player more as well, but it wont happen.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    vanturivanturi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But you can actually do this now with some of the instances if you wanted to be that kind of a player. Go in, kill a few, get a chest, hope for something decent, reset instance, do it again.
    I'm not talking about the end of quest chests that contain a level appropriate item that you can definitely use. I'm wanting the "found throughout the zone" chests that contain random stuff, (potions, identify scrolls, random items).

Eh, maybe it's just a pipe dream...
    -Vanturi
    nezroy123nezroy123 Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vanturi wrote: »
    I realize they are making only 1 treasure chest per quest so that people are loading quests with treasure.

But, I like to create quests that are long enough to feel worthwhile and engaging. If I've got a single quest in a campaign that has 5 or 6 custom maps, all with plenty of beasties, why shouldn't we be able to add in a couple extra chests? Maybe they can put some restrictions on it, like the chest won't be visible to the player until they kill at least x number of encounters.
    This seems reasonable to me.
    Any thoughts?
    (I just feel limited in so many ways when I think about all I could do with NWN)

My thought is... why not just break up your campaign into quests that are 20 - 30 minutes long? If you are already spread out across 5 or 6 maps, surely you can find a reasonable breakpoint where you can transition to a new quest?

There's nothing any less epic about doing it that way, and the "play next quest in campaign" button when you finish one moves people right into the other. Lots of people don't have 60 minutes to devote to completing a quest all at once anyway (I know I often don't).
    Quests: Fate of the Bonnie Kate (NW-DE6K6H63Q)
  • Options
    mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why can't chests and harvesting node just be something that is part of the budgets. Keep it low, but at least let us add them...it's just ridiculous how limited our building options are right now.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dithrindithrin Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they have to start slow with something like this. if they give us to much access this can easily be a game breaker. The way it is now is working great so far. I wouldn't mind seeing more options added later, but since the game has just started even having this feature is awesome
  • Options
    kamaliiciouskamaliicious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nezroy123 wrote: »
    My thought is... why not just break up your campaign into quests that are 20 - 30 minutes long? If you are already spread out across 5 or 6 maps, surely you can find a reasonable breakpoint where you can transition to a new quest?

There's nothing any less epic about doing it that way, and the "play next quest in campaign" button when you finish one moves people right into the other. Lots of people don't have 60 minutes to devote to completing a quest all at once anyway (I know I often don't).
    Loot quality is based on average time in dungeon, so splitting your campaign into 3-4 pieces means you have 3-4 chests, but the chest loot is not as good as the single loot from a quest that's 3-4 times the length.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    mokah wrote: »
    Why can't chests and harvesting node just be something that is part of the budgets. Keep it low, but at least let us add them...it's just ridiculous how limited our building options are right now.

Because even a budget of 1 is farmable. Empty room. Chest/node/whatever. Go in, get it, exit. Regrab mission. Rinse repeat.

Not only is this farmable but it is now much easier to make a bot farm it because it's consistent, no mobs, no randomness, etc.

The only solution for author-placed stuff I expect to ever see is probably going to be along the lines of "author places markers where chests/nodes might spawn, game spawns those things only if avg time played and/or your current time in the map is >some magical value". And I could even see them forcibly tying these spawns to encounters as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Loot quality is based on average time in dungeon, so splitting your campaign into 3-4 pieces means you have 3-4 chests, but the chest loot is not as good as the single loot from a quest that's 3-4 times the length.

I got the sense the OP felt that the current reward mechanism was anti-long-content. But if the game scales the end-loot to length, then that's a moot point so it just comes back to "why can't we put loot chests in content?", in which case... yeah, like half-a-dozen pre-existing threads on that topic :)
  • Options
    mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nezroy123 wrote: »
    The only solution for author-placed stuff I expect to ever see is probably going to be along the lines of "author places markers where chests/nodes might spawn, game spawns those things only if avg time played and/or your current time in the map is >some magical value". And I could even see them forcibly tying these spawns to encounters as well.

This is a perfectly acceptable solution in my mind. Couple this with a node/chest budget and it is anti-farm, anti bot and pro-player.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    top8top8 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes this is the biggest BIGGEST problem with the editor right now. The fact that you can't add any kind of incentive in your dungeons to promote exploration beside using quest items is crazy. It means right now all we can do is create very linear quests and that's just boring quite frankly. I understand they want to keep down loot farming but just add a limiter to the amount of chests you can place same way as they do for other things in quests such as rest areas.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can require exploration to complete the quest in a non-linear fashion. Have items at the end of various side-quests that will be required to complete the main story line.
  • Options
    top8top8 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zovya wrote: »
    You can require exploration to complete the quest in a non-linear fashion. Have items at the end of various side-quests that will be required to complete the main story line.

Yes but that is not exploration then. That is just doing the quest. Just because you send someone to 3 different areas to get quest items or something doesn't make it any less linear.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    top8 wrote: »
    Yes but that is not exploration then. That is just doing the quest. Just because you send someone to 3 different areas to get quest items or something doesn't make it any less linear.

Ok, then, don't require them to do the exploration. I don't follow you.