test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crafting = Awesome

meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
In other MMOs, such as Runes of Magic, I never did much of the crafting. I had no desire to hunt down resources, go through a bajillion steps and grind out a piece of gear that I couldn't even wear.

Neverwinter, however, seems pretty awesome. I love the system. In fact, I made a shirt for my TR and wore it as the best thing I had! I'd never done that before, and I liked the feeling. So, good work.

Only problem is that you don't have weapon crafting... I'd like to see that.
"Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
Post edited by meldroth on

Comments

• iikkajarviiikkajarvi Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    Agreed. I want an Orb of Ridiculousness that I can enchant, which I basically forced my no-name worker to create for me. Work faster, peons! I require more minerals!
    Current Server: Mindflayer
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • phaeriusphaerius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Shirts/pants are about the only thing you'll be creating thats worth it with crafting, I'm level 37 and I've been crafting non-stop since 11 and I've made shirt/pants and about 100 chain armors for exp. Definitely one of the weakest crafting systems I've used. It's like swtor's but without any of the things that made it interesting.
  • iikkajarviiikkajarvi Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    TOR's crafting, while similar, took forever to make anything useful. I personally hate crafting because it involves me doing something other than playing the game. However, timesinks are timesinks.
    Current Server: Mindflayer
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find the crafting system excellent, and it nicely fits in with the hirelings that one used to gather in older editions of D&D when you leveled.
  • toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    phaerius wrote: »
    It's like swtor's but without any of the things that made it interesting.
    This is how I've described it. "It's like TOR, but with the task times extended way too much so that spending AD to finish a task early seems like a good idea."

The task times early on really ought to come down some. Luckily, once you get purple-quality assets, the times get much more manageable.

The one thing I really don't care for is the randomization of rare crafting tasks. Why can't I make +6 Chain Armor whenever I want to make it?
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I love it. It allows me to improve my characters while at work. But this is more a perk of the gateway than the crafting system itself
  • airelanairelan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I hate neverwinters crafting. Extremely tedious with AD because you have to click 50 buttons to start and finish one task. Takes way to long to make anything without AD. The fact that the only only pants in the game besides the starter pants come from crafting annoys me even more. The problem with it is it seems like its designed to be used through the gateway when you aren't in-game and the AD to speed it up is just a lazy way to making up for this fact when you are playing. Ive just decided to just put up with the pants I have on my character and not bother with crafting anymore because its just too boring and tedious to use while actually in game and I don't like the idea of being forced to use the gateway all day long just to get anywhere in crafting.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    airelan wrote: »
    I hate neverwinters crafting. Extremely tedious with AD because you have to click 50 buttons to start and finish one task. Takes way to long to make anything without AD. The fact that the only only pants in the game besides the starter pants come from crafting annoys me even more. The problem with it is it seems like its designed to be used through the gateway when you aren't in-game and the AD to speed it up is just a lazy way to making up for this fact when you are playing. Ive just decided to just put up with the pants I have on my character and not bother with crafting anymore because its just too boring and tedious to use while actually in game and I don't like the idea of being forced to use the gateway all day long just to get anywhere in crafting.

so far, I am crafting purely for exp in Gateway. I haven't actually made anything for myself yet.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • toolkit68toolkit68 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well - being a main crafter in basically every game i played so far i have to admit that the crafting system isnt really convincing me. Not to be misunderstood here - the gathering of resources via skill nodes and also via loot drops is fine with me even if i wouldnt mind making it more complicated. But what i really lack is the sense of the professions - right now the professions are kind of completely useless as the gear you can craft is way below your own level (leveling time compared to crafting time creates an enormous gap). Put the leveling of your workers on top of that and you have a system that takes a lot of time but not really delivering anything for the buck near it.

Crafting in every game takes time - but results and time investment have to be in a healthy relation to each other - which they arnt here unfortunately.

As a P.S. i would like to add my definition of crafting as it seems some people think differently: Crafting means creation for me - creating something of use inside the game world. Not just creating something ;)
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I hate crafting in MMO's but this is brainless.... start and forget then reap the rewards. I can handle this kind of crafting.
  • maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Crafting is horrendous, it's impossible to level it together with your character, unless you take 4-5 day breaks and only level your crafting.

One exception is Leadership, but the actual crafting blows chunks.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • swamprobswamprob Member Posts: 107 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Crafting is horrendous, it's impossible to level it together with your character, unless you take 4-5 day breaks and only level your crafting.

One exception is Leadership, but the actual crafting blows chunks.
    As much as I want to like crafting, I have to agree with this. So far, I have found no point in running any other crafting quest besides Protect the Caravan, because it takes 2 hours to get 200 Diams. Or, I can run the 8 hour one for 300 Diams. (WTH?) I started with tailoring for my CW, and crafting as non-stop as I realistically can, the gear I can make is still 15 levels behind me. That's poor design. Ofc, I refuse to spend AD just to speed it up, so I guess that's why it's useless.

My crafting tip to anyone starting the game would be: ignore every profession except Leadership, get as many mercs as you can, and run NOTHING other than Protect the Caravan over and over and over until you have all the diamonds you want. Only then should you even glance at the other professions.

I would love to be proved wrong on this advice.
  • demampdemamp Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this a joke? There is no "crafting" in this game.
  • kagenushikagenushi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I for one am not a fan of over simplified crafting systems like NW or WOW.

I personally like systems like the one from Star Wars Galaxies with multiple levels. You could do an item at it's base level with very few moving parts, OR you could spend time and resources on a better product. Some people were so good at crafting that others would go to the ends of the world to buy their product.

Where as systems like NW or WOW are just yet another item like the 1 million before it. The one thing I dislike about the system in NW is that the resources are gained at random instead of mining or gathering as you need. Then there are the rare mats that can stop or slow you down from crafting what you want or need. There has been many a time that I really wanted to make some new boots or pants for my character only to have no arcane crystals on hand, all in the AH are either too expensive or I get out bid.

But as always, To each their own and your millage may very. :)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find the main point of crafting to be creating shirts and pants. Sure there is the odd drop for them in dungeons, but not everyone will get them that way. The only problem is that they seem to look the same as your initial shirts and pants, but that is a problem with most of the armor options.