test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

One huge issue

pilfropilfro Member Posts: 45 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have an issue with every game, and no game is perfect. The one really big issue i'm having is the armor/weapon sets being locked to class. This is not just not DnD its not most MMOs or RPG. This is my biggest issue.
I have played DnD since the books launched, and I don't expect a MMO to replicate the books. DDO does a better job with stats etc, and the feel of a party in a dungeon. But that's not what this game was trying for which is fine.
But seeing every other rogue with the same weapon set it bad IMO.

Hope this changes some day.
Post edited by pilfro on

Comments

• Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilfro wrote: »
    I have an issue with every game, and no game is perfect. The one really big issue i'm having is the armor/weapon sets being locked to class. This is not just not DnD its not most MMOs or RPG. This is my biggest issue.
    I have played DnD since the books launched, and I don't expect a MMO to replicate the books. DDO does a better job with stats etc, and the feel of a party in a dungeon. But that's not what this game was trying for which is fine.
    But seeing every other rogue with the same weapon set it bad IMO.

Hope this changes some day.

Yea. As I have said in other threads (and others have echo the same feeling) This has to do with more Art and Programming. It is WAY easier to create a "set of movement" for each class than trying to code a set of movement for each type of weapon and cross reference with different class (A mage using a dagger would be different than a rogue using a dagger)

I am hoping new weapon skin will come out (so have unique look) but I am praying for different weapon STYLE (i.e Art AND movement)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • Options
    kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pilfro wrote: »
    I have an issue with every game...

Aaaaand that's where I stopped reading.
  • Options
    suroh66suroh66 Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Welcome to 2013 mmos have gone downhill due to the " new age " gamers you know the console kiddies that want every thing right away with out having to work for it... So with out going into a rant and even though I agree with you op.
    You need to get over it and either play or quit that's what it comes down to ( if this bothers you this much)
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2013

You made it three words further along than I did. You win.
  • Options
    suichimosuichimo Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You made it three words further along than I did. You win.

Because clearly this game is flawless. What is wrong with having an issue with this game? Especially one that does seem very out of character for both the genre and the source material.
  • Options
    sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    suichimo wrote: »
    Because clearly this game is flawless. What is wrong with having an issue with this game? Especially one that does seem very out of character for both the genre and the source material.

The Genre is in the ballpark (4th edition rules) now there ARE some factor that need to be consider what can be converted from PnP to MMO format.

Now when I first read 4th Ed (I do have the core books and couple of supplemental) it is pretty much design for "computer gaming style" I mean if you read the at will power, encounter powers, dailies. All the class are beef up. Even Mages are more powerful in 4th ed at level 1 than 3.5ed.

BUT

There are some "creative difference" like HP (that threw me a bit) it is like they threw a couple of zero for some reasons. I guess to "extend the battles" but that logic doesn't make sense so I don't have anything on that.

but the water down 4th edition is there. If you are comparing to DDO (which is 3.5) it is TOTALLY different beast. Heck if you read 3.5 (which I sadly bought most of the book when it came out) and 4th ed. they are totally different from each other.
  • Options
    suichimosuichimo Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    The Genre is in the ballpark (4th edition rules) now there ARE some factor that need to be consider what can be converted from PnP to MMO format.

Now when I first read 4th Ed (I do have the core books and couple of supplemental) it is pretty much design for "computer gaming style" I mean if you read the at will power, encounter powers, dailies. All the class are beef up. Even Mages are more powerful in 4th ed at level 1 than 3.5ed.

BUT

There are some "creative difference" like HP (that threw me a bit) it is like they threw a couple of zero for some reasons. I guess to "extend the battles" but that logic doesn't make sense so I don't have anything on that.

but the water down 4th edition is there. If you are comparing to DDO (which is 3.5) it is TOTALLY different beast. Heck if you read 3.5 (which I sadly bought most of the book when it came out) and 4th ed. they are totally different from each other.

I get all that, I've played a bunch of 3.5 and 4e myself. The main problem here is just that everything is so same-y. Are you a Great Weapon Fighter? Here is armor and a giant sword? You want a giant axe? A maul? A spear? Nope, we don't have those. A crossbow wielding rogue? No. And you can see where this is going.

Since this is based on 4e, where two weapon fighting basically comes down to which weapon do you want to attack with this turn, why not have a Guardian Fighter with two differently enchanted long swords that is able to attack with either and then defend with the other.

This is the problem the guy is finding, and it's a very legitimate one.
  • Options
    ledarrledarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I do like this game, but you are right, when I skirmish, all the CW look just like me, why and orb, I have played DDO what about staffs, wands, crossbows and daggers. Don't get me wrong this game is quite fun, but it plays and feels a lot like someone laid a skin on D3.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    suichimo wrote: »
    I get all that, I've played a bunch of 3.5 and 4e myself. The main problem here is just that everything is so same-y. Are you a Great Weapon Fighter? Here is armor and a giant sword? You want a giant axe? A maul? A spear? Nope, we don't have those. A crossbow wielding rogue? No. And you can see where this is going.

Since this is based on 4e, where two weapon fighting basically comes down to which weapon do you want to attack with this turn, why not have a Guardian Fighter with two differently enchanted long swords that is able to attack with either and then defend with the other.

This is the problem the guy is finding, and it's a very legitimate one.

I think that is programming issue. It does take quite a bit of programming to have different actions and Art to make it work. now I have a feeling that extra weapons WILL come out but at a price (I am TOTALLY guessing here)
  • Options
    solresolsolresol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would just like some pants
    My Trickster looked "tricked out" on character creation. 11 levels later he is still wearing his PJ bottoms :)
  • Options
    mrbaker3179mrbaker3179 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    I think that is programming issue. It does take quite a bit of programming to have different actions and Art to make it work. now I have a feeling that extra weapons WILL come out but at a price (I am TOTALLY guessing here)

I don't think they would need to make new animations for a lot of them. If you take Axe's, Mace's, Warhammers etc they all swing in a similar fashion to a Sword plus its common in fantasy settings like this for them to have spikes on the tops so they can also be thrust in the same fashion as a Sword.