test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not DnD

remmicremmic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Defiantly not Dungeons and Dragons at all.

Very disapointed
Post edited by remmic on

Comments

• kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good to know....
  • remmicremmic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Good to know....

you have been notified
  • bpphantombpphantom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Rather than get into the same old rehash... can I have your stuff, or are you staying?
    - bpphantom

Grace, Tiefling Devoted Cleric

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman."
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    remmic wrote: »

Very disapointed

Why do you think it is not D&D? Is it not following the core rules? optional rules?

BTW: this is a basic version of 4th edition rule (At-will power, encounter powers usually we get to choose, but right now we have base at will power but can choose daily powers) stat roll is actually from one of the base option of die rolling (instead of Free for all 4d6 drop lowest version for balance)

Weapon are limited due to programming and art (I believe) I am hoping more will be expanded.
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Very disapointed

No its hello Kitty. AWAY WITH YEW VILE WENCH!
  • iikkajarviiikkajarvi Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013

Very disapointed

I hate it when games are defiantly not Dungeons and Dragons, as opposed to just definitely.
    Current Server: Mindflayer
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • senseijohnsenseijohn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 90
    edited May 2013
    This is defintely not D&D... but then again... no MMO ever has been nor ever will be. Because it's an MMO, and because it's a computer generated non-persistent world (monsters re-spawn, quests can be repeated, etc.), it will never be D&D.

It's a fantasy, action-based MMO that has a D&D candy coating. They leverage the various basic class structures, powers, etc. but then morph them to fit an MMO. They then set it in a known D&D setting (Forgotten Realms) and use D&D terms and monsters.

It gives the appearance of D&D without ever really being D&D. There really is no roleplaying or roleplaying game mechanics. No pickpocketing, no real perception checks, no bluff, no diplomacy, no history, no streetwise... nada.

It is what it is... it's basically 3D Diablo set in the forgotten realms... only... without the variety of equipment.

But bear in mind... this is still, technically, beta... hopefully they will continue to evolve the game into something that is slightly more like D&D than Diablo.
  • nephtnepht Member Posts: 5,826 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    As a long time DnD PnP player I am glad it isnt like the PnP game then it be well a PnP game and I would break my computor's screen while rolling those dice.

They be pointy @_@"
  • phimethphimeth Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    simple_gaming_flowchart.jpg

Eh, it's close enough to sate my urge to chase the dragon, And the probability of the mechanized DM playing favorites on the basis of reproductive organs is statistically negligible.

I for one welcome our new digital overlords.
    Cake is a lie, Pi is a constant.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited May 2013
    bpphantom wrote: »
    Rather than get into the same old rehash... can I have your stuff, or are you staying?
    LOL dude LOL
  • celestiangc22celestiangc22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Very disapointed

"D&D" has not been D&D since 3e came out so I am not sure why you are surprised.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "D&D" has not been D&D since 3e came out so I am not sure why you are surprised.

Amen! :)
    10char
  • ursadorableursadorable Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013

Definitely no substance in this thread.

I am disappoint.
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    What, this thread isn't about sammiches ... **** wrong thread! This is definitely not sammich material at all.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • claidhmoreclaidhmore Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    I knew it wasn't D&D when it actually shut up about TNG and BSG reruns, or the new paint job it got for the huge Hulking Horror mini it got painted to kill us because that cute girl from the game store turned it down again because you HAVE NO F*&KING TACT or when it shut up about its Black Lotus.

Now, to make sure it isn't World of Darkness.
  • prowesssssprowesssss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Does anyone else get the sense that their character is regression and no progressing? I started a rogue, as soon as i got to 10 i started PvPing... I kept up with questing fairly well and kept my gear up... level 10 or 11, I was at my peak in power, felt extremely overpowered in pvp.. at level 19, i was a complete wimp... It would be one thing if the new abilities I unlock as I level actually added to my utility and/or power, but it seems like everything I spent points on besides the core abilities was a total waste and then I find out that it costs REAL MONEY to respec... is that how this game is going to make money? tricking people into spending points on terrible and inefficient abilities and then buy respecs so they can sit around with unspent points rather than having felt like they've wasted everything?
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013

More like ever since 2nd edition came out, but either way it's a whole different game now from what it was in the beginning.
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    More like ever since 2nd edition came out, but either way it's a whole different game now from what it was in the beginning.

Hey. I happen to like my Elf CLASS (D&D Basic) of course I do miss my human Calvalier 1st Edition character ;)
    edited May 2013
    sasheria wrote: »
    Hey. I happen to like my Elf CLASS (D&D Basic) of course I do miss my human Calvalier 1st Edition character ;)
    The old Basic game is good, especially the collected hardback edition.
  • brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Another post how this game isn't D&D.

Perhaps there's enough threads now to make an entirely new section on the forums.
  • tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The question is..is D&D really D&D?? blew your mind there didn't I!
    edited May 2013
    brakkish1 wrote: »
    Another post how this game isn't D&D.

Perhaps there's enough threads now to make an entirely new section on the forums.

Well, it isn't, but it can't be really. Due to differences in the PnP and MMORPG mediums, they can't be exactly the same. The best that can be done is to have the player feel as though he is playing in the Forgotten Realms while in the game.

I'm no Forgotten Realms expert, but it has a good enough feel for me.
    edited May 2013

Man, DnD sold out. I miss the good old days when monks and demons were legit, and alignments were simplified. Oh and gnomes were people and not monsters. Wait, I'm so confused.
    History Class in the Realms: "Elves did it better first. Also, magic was probably involved somehow and maybe gods. Or godly magic. Now go outside so the orcs and bandits have someone to menace."
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    I miss when "Elf" was a class, as was "Fighting-Man".
  • tybrus8tybrus8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, it isn't, but it can't be really. Due to differences in the PnP and MMORPG mediums, they can't be exactly the same. The best that can be done is to have the player feel as though he is playing in the Forgotten Realms while in the game.

I'm no Forgotten Realms expert, but it has a good enough feel for me.

Thats really what we have here, if you read the Forgotten realms books, the world and the stories go right along with um. Most people do not read um though, this game is very much forgotten realms.
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    I miss when "Elf" was a class, as was "Fighting-Man".

And Bard's weren't useless but a sign of serious awesomeness. Well, except for Deekin. That guy never died on me, ever. Highlander Kobold.
  • mikael74mikael74 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tybrus8 wrote: »
    The question is..is D&D really D&D?? blew your mind there didn't I!

D&D today is not the same as the D&D of 1984 and I really wish that everything about D&D would have stayed the same as it was in 1984.
    I play as a control wizard and when it comes down to it... it's all about the freeze.