test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beyond Neverwinter... Spelljammer?

tremayne3tremayne3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just a thought - since the Cryptic game engine already supports ship combat for STO, is there any chance of dusting off the old Spelljammer setting (fantasy spaceships) somewhere down the line? I would happily pay for the chance to captain a ship and duke it out against illithid nautiloids...
Post edited by tremayne3 on

Comments

• sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't object to this. I wonder how many people even remember this though?
  • streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Spelljammer was DnD's way of having spaceships in their setting. That also allowed them to travel to other settings, i.e. Faerun to Greyhawk.

I honestly do not see this happening, but if they did, I would not object to it.

Remember, the game only revolves around a single city in the entire world. It is like saying You are playing a game in Miami, FL only... then you want access to space. What about the rest of the world to explore?
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • sparhawksparhawk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Spelljammer was DnD's way of having spaceships in their setting. That also allowed them to travel to other settings, i.e. Faerun to Greyhawk.

I honestly do not see this happening, but if they did, I would not object to it.

Remember, the game only revolves around a single city in the entire world. It is like saying You are playing a game in Miami, FL only... then you want access to space. What about the rest of the world to explore?

True, it would have to be a full scale expansion if they ever did this in any form.
  • randomdispalynamrandomdispalynam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Wow, Spelljammer takes me back.

I wonder if something could be worked up in the Foundry to simulate it?
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18401-Neverwinter-Extended-FAQ
    If not sure if a thread is posted, try the SEARCH function below:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/search.php
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dear god, Spelljammer was terrible. There's a reason they haven't revisited it since the 80's.
  • zuluzulutozuluzuluto Member Posts: 112
    edited May 2013
    Best part of SpellJammer......Even it kept Drows out of Dragonlance.

How about Ravenloft instead? I wouldnt mind recreating Lord Soth.
    If I havent offended you today....dont worry!!!....there's always tomorrow. Of course, you could also go to here for all I care.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 131
    edited May 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    Dear god, Spelljammer was terrible. There's a reason they haven't revisited it since the 80's.

Agreed! Spelljammer was what happens when non-nerds try and pretend they are nerds.
  • labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I did a foundry quest in blacklake that had a spelljammer ship in it . The drow were invadeing from it . had to climb aboard and burn catapults .
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well, I would like to see an expansion adding sigil instead. Connections to all the other realms around Faerun. And think of meeting the lady of pain.

So why not, add your wishes for expansions, just don't expect them to arrive inside a year :D
  • jackcutlassjackcutlass Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sparhawk wrote: »
    I wouldn't object to this. I wonder how many people even remember this though?

I do. In fact I stumbled across my old Spelljammer boxed books just last week.

I would love a Spelljammer game so much.
  • narathkornarathkor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its neverwinter, don't count on all that lol. Foundry is likely what you will get, hopefully with some tool improvements so people can create more robust end game content.
    Please check out my foundry quests!
    The Sins of the Father NW-DLN6BC8NX
    A Name For Yourself NW-DRBWMCFL4
    Click Here To Visit The Official Thread
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is some fun stuff you can do in the foundry... There is a spelljammer inside my Planescape campaign as a matter of fact.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • jadedjackalopejadedjackalope Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    labbb wrote: »
    I did a foundry quest in blacklake that had a spelljammer ship in it . The drow were invadeing from it . had to climb aboard and burn catapults .

I played that one last night. They didn't call it a Spelljammer directly though. . . skyship or something.

The twist at the end was an interesting touch.
  • sasheriasasheria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Heh. I haven't seen any 4th edition rule to spelljamming BUT with At-will power, it will be a whole lot easier to power a ship unlike back in the day (memorize spell, power the ship, memorize spell, power the ship) unless you rig a perma-enchantment that draws the power from the realm of magic/fae like we did (lots of exp and constitution points)
    To grow old is inevitable, to grow up is optional.
    Please review my campaign and I'll return the favor.
  • elric071elric071 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I remember SpellJammer. We had a pretty good DM at that time and he made a great adventure for us. It was a lot of fun :)

But Ravenloft...Now that would be interesting :D
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
  • firebrand6firebrand6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am a huge Spelljammer fan- I'd love for them to add some sort of ship-to-ship combat minigame.

I wrote a Foundry mission called "Leviathan" which has a boarding mission- I was trying for a Spelljammer feel. I'm going to see if I can't do more- the Foundry editor is fantastic, but there are only a limited number of ship models.