test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rename Gearscore

daroskadaroska Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Simple request really, to avoid the negative vibe connected with WoW's restrictive addon.

Whether it be renamed to Protection Total, Defense Potential or something else entirely, I do not mind.

Just not gearscore, by the seven hells and beyond not 'gearscore'. The connotation of it is plainly terrible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by daroska on

Comments

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    epeenscore was a plague on wow servers.

It's like metacritics scores actually trying to mean something of value.
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Gearscore actually makes a lot of sense in WoW. It'd be a waste of resources and time to have a party member that wasn't pulling their weight if you're doing serious content like raids.

In NW, I'm not sure it has the same weight... At least not yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • awaveawave Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104
    edited April 2013
    One thing I noticed is when I took off all my gear, my level 17 dwarf cleric still had a gearscore of 79. Where is this coming from?
  • duck2013duck2013 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    yeah.. i'm watching streams, where people join, and immediately ask "What's your gearscore?"

it's saddening... and frigging annoying...
    --- I loved clerics in this game --- <--- My youtube video. [R.I.P good cleric now they nerfed our self healing by 50%]
    Look forward to my long campaigns and short stories in the foundry upon release.

Join our awesome stream community for neverwinter on twitch
  • aetam1aetam1 Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For epic dungeons you need a certain gearscore at the moment to be able to queue. Thats actually pretty ridiculous.

-The gearscore itself seems rather buggy and better gear does not always have better score.
    -Your companion changes your gearscore. It makes a certain sense since you can take it with you to a dungeon, but really? My pet?
    -Buffs (pots) change your gearscore
    -The numbers needed to join a dungeon are pretty random I think. While I haven't tried the higher lvl ones, the first is very easy and would be doable with lower gear.
    -Why on earth would you prevent a premade group from doing a dungeon? If I want to do the highest dungeon with green gear and a group of friends why stop me? If 5 people want do an dungeon naked, let them! I understand it in a random queue but in a premade? That has to change.

I think the game would be far better off without any gearscore but if you want to stick to it at least remove it from premade groups.

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • daroskadaroska Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    duck2013 wrote: »
    yeah.. i'm watching streams, where people join, and immediately ask "What's your gearscore?"

it's saddening... and frigging annoying...

Indeed, it connects itself much too well with World of Warcraft.
    It could in time give Neverwinter the auspicious MMO title of:

WoW Clone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited April 2013
    awave wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is when I took off all my gear, my level 17 dwarf cleric still had a gearscore of 79. Where is this coming from?

If gearscore is an epeen thing...I can only conclude that your naked dwarf is already very well-endowed, and clearly does not need to compensate for something.
  • syisyi Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly I would like my $250 back now.. I was a tester and this was nowhere in the beta. Never mentioned anywhere that this would be added to the game they sold me. I personally can not stand the epeen elitists that feel this is a needed and necessary tool, and would NEVER buy a game that supports this mechanic EVER.

Therefore if you decide to keep this in place just go ahead and refund my $200 for my founders pack and $50 for my zen, and understand you will NEVER ever ever see another penny from me on any of your other games including my canceling all my current subs, and before you just wave me away you may wanna look at the thousands I have spent on perfect world, champions, and star trek, and think about what it means losing any future money from me for EVER.
  • archanjo17041985archanjo17041985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yes this gearscore is totally <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
    i7 3770k @ 4.0//HD 7950 WF3//16 GB ram Corsair @ 1600//Corsair 120 GB SSD x 2//Hyper Evo 212
  • xervaixervai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gearscore prevents you from queuing into Epic dungeons unless you meet the minimum. Join a good guild, turn off general chat, and suddenly this game is like butter.

Just ignore the gnats flying around, they're meaningless to your enjoyment and can only detract.
  • spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    1:calm down

2:It's still beta, it's subject to change or fixing.

3:Not EVERYTHING in WoW was bad, it might be a steaming dog mess now, but it wasn't the "worsterest game evar"

4:A gearscore, presumably is there to make sure that you don't get your head hammered in by a difficult dungeon by walking in with the most horrible of gear that you could find, however I do agree it should be a restriction you can choose to disable as a party leader or solo.
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daroska wrote: »
    Simple request really, to avoid the negative vibe connected with WoW's restrictive addon.

Whether it be renamed to Protection Total, Defense Potential or something else entirely, I do not mind.

Just not gearscore, by the seven hells and beyond not 'gearscore'. The connotation of it is plainly terrible.

Honestly I don't see why companies can't learn from other people's mistakes and still implement stuff like gear score and damage meters.

The stupid end of instance damage meters are already ruining group play... Its just RUSH RUSH RUSH, GOTTA BE THE TOP. Thieves aren't disarming traps. Tanks aren't tanking. Cleric's aren't healing. Chests getting skipped.

Right now I'm not impressed with group play at all, horrendous queue times aside. Single play is very fun, except for maybe the heal-pot spam design.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Issue with gear score is that the stats that it value are often not the ones that make your class most effective. This is particularly a HUGE problem for GWFs whose hybrid nature means that you can have higher 'Gearscore' equipment that contributes almost nothing to your effectiveness.

And, no, given how restricted backpack space there is in this game I don't especially fancy wasting it carrying around a second set of gear with the highest possible scores around just to game this absurd system.
  • grikgidgrikgid Member Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    One of the first things I saw in Zone chat after completing the starter area was an LFM demanding a certain gearscore.
    I very nearly quit at that point, please rename it as soon as you can.
    I have never played a D&D game in any genre that required gearscores to qualify me to get my butt kicked, or otherwise.
    A very daft idea whoever though of this
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mconosrep wrote: »
    Issue with gear score is that the stats that it value are often not the ones that make your class most effective. This is particularly a HUGE problem for GWFs whose hybrid nature means that you can have higher 'Gearscore' equipment that contributes almost nothing to your effectiveness.

And, no, given how restricted backpack space there is in this game I don't especially fancy wasting it carrying around a second set of gear with the highest possible scores around just to game this absurd system.

The problem with gear score are the tards that want things to be easy facerolls. This warcraft generation wants everything now and easy. So why take someone in poor gear when they can find someone with leet gearscore and faceroll thru the content.

Time and time again games implement things like gearscore and damage meters and always have a negative impact. How many examples do people need?
  • sgtoconellsgtoconell Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem with gear score are the tards that want things to be easy facerolls. This warcraft generation wants everything now and easy. So why take someone in poor gear when they can find someone with leet gearscore and faceroll thru the content.

Time and time again games implement things like gearscore and damage meters and always have a negative impact. How many examples do people need?
    It's just this new generation of gamers. Just as every other thing goes mainstream it's dumbed down and flowing with idiots. Nothing to do with warcraft actually. I'm really dissappointed to see gearscore being implemented in a ANY game today. Why would any developer do that? The same goes for the damage score at the end of the round. Damage meters and gearscore are both bad for group cohesion when playing with strangers which in an MMO happens a lot.
  • mofugli1mofugli1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    syi wrote: »
    Honestly I would like my $250 back now.. I was a tester and this was nowhere in the beta. Never mentioned anywhere that this would be added to the game they sold me. I personally can not stand the epeen elitists that feel this is a needed and necessary tool, and would NEVER buy a game that supports this mechanic EVER.

Therefore if you decide to keep this in place just go ahead and refund my $200 for my founders pack and $50 for my zen, and understand you will NEVER ever ever see another penny from me on any of your other games including my canceling all my current subs, and before you just wave me away you may wanna look at the thousands I have spent on perfect world, champions, and star trek, and think about what it means losing any future money from me for EVER.

Or perhaps they could make a shard just for the elitist pri cks that has 'gearscore' so all the players that find that essential can make their accounts there to play with each other...
  • mofugli1mofugli1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    sgtoconell wrote: »
    It's just this new generation of gamers. Just as every other thing goes mainstream it's dumbed down and flowing with idiots. Nothing to do with warcraft actually. I'm really dissappointed to see gearscore being implemented in a ANY game today. Why would any developer do that? The same goes for the damage score at the end of the round. Damage meters and gearscore are both bad for group cohesion when playing with strangers which in an MMO happens a lot.

Totally agree, group play should be about cooperation, not competition
  • iviksiviks Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've not played WoW and haven't seen this in any other game, so this is the first time I see gearscore and stuff.. I don't think it's bad, but, as almost everyone points out, there are the kind of people who take it way too serious. In my opinion it's a great tool, just to see how you compare to others, but while there are elitists, it causes more harm than good, even though they're just numbers.
  • bellaralodunbellaralodun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I cringed when i saw the gearscore spam. I understand it, but I still hated to just hear that word "gearscore" over and over again. I guess its just bad memories from Wotlk -.-
  • gnostergnoster Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I too saw a lot of "LFM, required gearscore of x,<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" and "LF guild, have gearscore of x,<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>" messages. I do agree with what has been said, that it is not the gearscore itself, but more a culture thing within MMO player communities; Gearscore and DPS meters are unfortunately too easy performance indicators for some people to think more constructively about the game, but this kind of behavior will always exist gearscore or not, e.g. in Guild Wars 2 early days i was kicked from several Groups purely because I was playing an Elementalist class, and the generel concensus of the forums was that class was broken and thus a speed run wasn't possible - player skill be d.....
  • oakenlongbowoakenlongbow Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I saw folks advertizing for others with gearscore X, I immediately added them to my ignore list. I didnt know at the time that some dungeons required gearscores, that is a lame game mechanic.
  • riepahriepah Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wonder why they even added this here at all, gear doesn't seem to matter nearly enough to care.
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I agree with your sentiments, but why don't you just start advertising for dungeons and say that gearscore is not important, just communication and skill. You'll get players who are like you and will enjoy the dungeon better rather then just blowing through it. No one is forcing you to group with those people asking for gearscores. It actually makes it easier to avoid them!
  • down2onedown2one Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    I think the only thing for gear score that should be taken into account is a tanks defense. If you have the magic number then fine.
    edited May 2013
    When I saw folks advertizing for others with gearscore X, I immediately added them to my ignore list. I didnt know at the time that some dungeons required gearscores, that is a lame game mechanic.

Agreed, a recommended score is not a bad idea but a mandatory GS just to queue is BS
  • gethariongetharion Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While having something to compare the relative power is fine and all, I could see this quickly being exclusive to newer and under-geared players. I HATED gearscore in WoW, and I would hate to see it turn the community against itself.
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gear score by any other name is still irrelevant, as it doesn't come along with a skill score, as the ability of the player can not be so easily measured by a number. However, it gives the numbers people something to shoot for, and for some brag about.

But really, if people want to be exclusive, they will continue to be exclusive. They will just pick out something else to be exclusive about. It's a mindset of some players that nothing can be done about.