test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skillsystem removes fun from the game (at least for me)

prototypev103bprototypev103b Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
A short explanation why I believe the skill system in its current form is a bummer.

At the moment I am leveling a CW.
I know that a lot of cc skills do not work on bosses.
During pvp though, I might want to use those.
Solo grinding might again favour another setup.

Resetting the skills requires 600 zen, that is quite something, I do not think I will be able to pay for not so regular resets, while the system encourages resets,
I feel that a lot of freedom has been taken away due to the changes made to the skill system after closed beta 3.

This leaves me thinking if I should even continue playing Neverwinter.
Sooner or later this will be a problem for me.

I can only hope this will be changed.
Therefore this post, I hope more people feel this way.

(this is a personal opinion)
Post edited by prototypev103b on

Comments

• Options
    vomkvomk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 53
    edited May 2013
    I had that problem aswell, but when I got to higher level I started selling stuff on the Auction House, and only yesterday I earned over 3million Astral Diamonds. and I can trade 500k astral diamonds for 1000zen, so to me it looks like its kind of easy to get stuff to sell on AH.
  • Options
    qwal1qwal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well, i am also lvling a cw atm, and the skillsystem is ok. We actually have way 2 many skillpoints. U can have 2-3 on almost every skill. So don't see your problem with skills. The only thing that rly needs resetting is the feats that actually make a difference, The skills u want to use, make them +3, and u will have several skills at +3 then u can have on your bar. So well,...
  • Options
    voidwatcherxvoidwatcherx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 128 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    OP, sorry to hear that you feel this way but like vomk mentioned, making AD is quite easily done if you put a bit of time into it. This can later be exchanged for Zen to purchase the respec tokens. So no real money is ever required on your part. Buying the respec tokens using real money is merely a convenience but not a necessity. I also got around 3 million AD, of course I had the 2mill from the HotN pack as well but I have spent a great deal prior to where I am now.

You can make AD from events, praying, professions etc etc.
    dakasig.png

• Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Think of it this way...

Most mainstream MMOs cost $15 a month. If you respec 2x a month your still within a reasonable MMO budget.
  • Options
    nykolae42nykolae42 Member Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    *scratching head* I wasn't able to take part in the closed beta, and have only briefly started a half-elf cw - my question is this: what skill system are you speaking of? I'm more than familiar with the NWN2 skill system, but can't seem to find it in this iteration of Forgotten Realms. Where exactly do I look to spend/respect skills on my toon?
  • Options
    colkernelcolkernel Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    Think of it this way...

Most mainstream MMOs cost $15 a month. If you respec 2x a month your still within a reasonable MMO budget.

Rather than having to respec multiple times per month (or day if one switches between PvP and PvE a lot) wouldn't it make more sense to allow multiple builds? Particularly with CW since control is typically nerfed pretty hard for PvP.
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vomk wrote: »
    I had that problem aswell, but when I got to higher level I started selling stuff on the Auction House, and only yesterday I earned over 3million Astral Diamonds. and I can trade 500k astral diamonds for 1000zen, so to me it looks like its kind of easy to get stuff to sell on AH.

are you serious? what the hell did you sell to earn that much?

everything 'worthwhile' goes for between 10-50k sub-60. really good stuff might go for about 150k but i have like 1 of those and i quested all the way till 60

or am i undervaluing random greens? I vendor everything thats green, sometimes without iding because i need inventory space and have no scrolls
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    On my CW (60), I have all the spells I want for PvE, PvP and solo PvE. The only "tedious" part is that I have to swap in and out spells that I want to use for whatever I am doing. You can have nearly all spells as is, and if you plan it, you should not need to respec (you don't need all dailies, the level 50 spells are very meh, and so on).

Feats usually work for everything, and they can be respecced for ADs anyway.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    lerdocixlerdocix Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know its a weird suggestion but... every considered that you DON'T have to min max everything you do and focus your build around what you actually do most?
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vomk wrote: »

I assume because most of the folks that are level 60 now have deep pockets and have no problem dropping cash to get a head start on the game. You know $200 founders and probably have dropped another 100-200 in other stuff. Meaning they most likely are buying AD/Zen like no tomorrow to be the world firsts at everything the game has to offer so paying a little extra is not an issue for top end gear.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    On my CW (60), I have all the spells I want for PvE, PvP and solo PvE. The only "tedious" part is that I have to swap in and out spells that I want to use for whatever I am doing. You can have nearly all spells as is, and if you plan it, you should not need to respec (you don't need all dailies, the level 50 spells are very meh, and so on).

Feats usually work for everything, and they can be respecced for ADs anyway.

This is not so with GF. Each of our Paragon trees work for specific skills. You are either a tank or DPS... you cannot be both.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    This is not so with GF. Each of our Paragon trees work for specific skills. You are either a tank or DPS... you cannot be both.

Actually, you can make a hybrid that can do both, and PvP. See here:

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?176972-Rokuthy-s-Hybrid-Tanking-Build-(GF)-for-End-Game-PvE-(and-PvP)-content
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    people dont know what mmorpgs are any more. its just fan service to them because they cant get lives outside of it

ever play a real mmorpg? I played ragnarok online for awhile. It took me 6 months on a new server that had just started in a new country to get to max level, and every mistake you made in skill/stat point allocation stayed with you.

the payoff? it was really worth it and if that mmo existed in its original form i would go back to it in a heart beat. the system, mechanics, and playability of the game were truly mmo. the minute you even have the word 'end game' in an mmorpg its not an mmo. you spend months or YEARS expanding into the content. not a week absorbing it after it has been released

man i wish a real mmo would come out again
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    man i wish a real mmo would come out again

There is always real life, which offers all the tedium and struggle you could possibly enjoy! :p
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    people dont know what mmorpgs are any more. its just fan service to them because they cant get lives outside of it

ever play a real mmorpg? I played ragnarok online for awhile. It took me 6 months on a new server that had just started in a new country to get to max level, and every mistake you made in skill/stat point allocation stayed with you.

Sure I have played what you consider a real mmo.
    However, there is a flaw in your reasoning:
    In Neverwinter it is possible to reset your skills, but only if you pay for it, which causes an uneven playing field.
    If it were not possible to reset the skills at all, then there would be not problem ..... everybody would then just have to live with the choices that were made.

I am pleased to hear that it is possible to exchange AD for Zen, and hope it will not be to hard to get some Zen to reset the skills.
    Because during lvling to 60 I will have to use/lvl skills that I do not need at lvl 60 and I have to find out what works for me and what not.

Still I find it a poor system, it smells like p2w.
  • Options
    machinator99machinator99 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    disagree respec system and CW is fine

the cost is minimal, if youre too cheap to pony up a couple bucks how exactly do they pay for the game?

kids these days
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ... I played ragnarok online for awhile....if that mmo existed in its original form...

Right here is why those grind fests that take ages don't even exist for themselves. I played FFXI for a bit, and got really tired of losing xp for being killed by wildlife, and never finding a group if you weren't a certain class. Good riddance to those types of mmos, and good luck to ever seeing another again, companies aren't going to spend the amount needed to get one up and going after all the ones that failed.

To make a lot of AD on the AH, run epics, get purples, sell on AH for half a million each, profit. Almost all purple gear is unbound until equip too, so get some, sell, profit. Respec as much as you want.
  • Options
    vlyxnolvlyxnol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You dont need to respec anyway.

You are obviously very low level to be complaining about what you are complainining about.

You get more than double the amount of power points necessary to fill all your spots so it is entirely possible to have two completely different power set ups that you switch between without ever respeccing.

It costs nothing other than 10 seconds to switch your powers that you have out for one another.
  • Options
    ravinravin Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sure I have played what you consider a real mmo.
    However, there is a flaw in your reasoning:
    In Neverwinter it is possible to reset your skills, but only if you pay for it, which causes an uneven playing field.
    If it were not possible to reset the skills at all, then there would be not problem ..... everybody would then just have to live with the choices that were made.

I am pleased to hear that it is possible to exchange AD for Zen, and hope it will not be to hard to get some Zen to reset the skills.
    Because during lvling to 60 I will have to use/lvl skills that I do not need at lvl 60 and I have to find out what works for me and what not.

Still I find it a poor system, it smells like p2w.

Oh, the cry of p2w. There's nothing in the cash shop, yet, that gives a player an advantage in pvp, so no p2w there. And p2w doesn't exist in pve, in any mmo, my game play experience, and how I choose to enjoy the game has no direct effect on your enjoyment of the game.
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    disagree respec system and CW is fine

the cost is minimal, if youre too cheap to pony up a couple bucks how exactly do they pay for the game?

kids these days

1) you think the skill system is fine, I do not.
    2) we are not talking about a couple of bucks, to test all skills/builds myself I would want to change it around a lot.
    meaning it would cost a significant amount of cash.
    3) using the phrase "kids these days" just shows the kind of person you are.