test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

tri currency economy ?

necrofobicnecrofobic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
gold
AD
zen

why ? and why isnt gold tradable for AD ? why even have gold when it seems AD is our "regular" currency, zen i understand, but either drop gold or drop AD. why have 3 it makes zero sense to me. and why do quests give you gold and not AD as its our normal currency ?

its like "lets make a economy fit for a p2p game" and then "oh **** we are going f2p we better switch things around"

OR just "lets greed this til theres nothing left to greed" wich i hope it isnt cause it wont end well if people have to buy everything for real cash since AD prices are pretty HUGE compared to how much AD you can come by per day without using zen
Post edited by necrofobic on

Comments

• digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited May 2013
    Potions and Injury kits at level 60 cost a reasonable amount of gold. Other than that, there's not much use to it though. (4g per stack of injury kits, and 1.25g per stack of potions)
  • necrofobicnecrofobic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah i mean the whole quests give gold thing, is just .. it smells pre f2p conversion
  • psyionicspsyionics Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think one reason could be RMT market. Even though i've seen a few gold spammers today already, theres really not much use for gold except for potions and mount which is good. RMT won't be able to do anything with AD or Zen currencies. Now imagine there was no AD but only Gold and Zen for real money transactions: RMT Paradise

Don't think anyone would ever buy Gold from RMT because again, not worth it :). Gold on the other side is the only thing they may trade for, or level services maybe. Selling accounts with high wealth. Thats about it.
  • bigredlunchboxbigredlunchbox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Look, if you actually try to think about it then you get a simple answer.

They don't want people farming gold and selling it for cash. So they made rough astral diamonds attainable from daily quests and you can refine 10k per day.

Now they wanted free players to be able to get zen so we can buy zen with astral diamonds.

Lastly Zen is there so people can spend real money on it and help support the game.

Instead of crying about things you should try to think about why they are the way they are.. you may learn something.
  • sdneversdnever Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There are actually a lot more currencies than that when you consider special vendors (like PvP).
    Here is how I see it...

Gold - used for all the basics needed to progress in game
    ADs - used to enhance the speed of progression + buys minor vanity items + a substitute for gold
    Zen - buys major vanity items + a substitute for ADs

Gold is all you need to enjoy the game. Its your vanity and envy that lets you believe you need the other currencies.
  • down2onedown2one Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    its like the forsaken world system - I believe it to limit gold farmers to a minimum
  • vatashavatasha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold sellers are not going to be a problem in game since you can buy zen right from the company or other players. This means gold sellers are not going to make a big profit in this game and it would be a waste of their time being here.
  • necrofobicnecrofobic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ummm .. remove gold entirely, switch quest rewards to rough AD, switch gold cost to ad cost

problem solved, no possible farming way. just 1 less currency
    edited May 2013
    vatasha wrote: »
    Gold sellers are not going to be a problem in game since you can buy zen right from the company or other players. This means gold sellers are not going to make a big profit in this game and it would be a waste of their time being here.

and also this makes sense
  • beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    give some stuff to spend gold on would be better, how about even just adding dyes to the gold market instead of zen/ad. even at the costs of high level stacks my gold is piling up and it's sad because I want to spend it lol.
  • shiftnativeshiftnative Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sdnever wrote: »
    There are actually a lot more currencies than that when you consider special vendors (like PvP).
    Here is how I see it...

Gold - used for all the basics needed to progress in game
    ADs - used to enhance the speed of progression + buys minor vanity items + a substitute for gold
    Zen - buys major vanity items + a substitute for ADs

Gold is all you need to enjoy the game. Its your vanity and envy that lets you believe you need the other currencies.
    thisssssss.
  • elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    not that much, EVE has real money convertible to player currency (subscription game with gametime tradeable between players) and still gold spammers offering better ratio then market does (well, not that much "spammers", EVE done pretty well with them, but you can buy on websites and such, never tried).

Same could happen here. You can convert gold to AD indirectly. But I guess this is a way (a good one) to control market. There are NO more AD then 24k limit per player. You as individual can get a lot more ofc, but currency basis is determined by those 24k (more or less, still exploitable via more characters I guess).

That's why we have 3 currency system.

Having rough AD per quests would set daily limit on how much you can grind. That would be generally bad idea. You can grind as much as you want. And convert them at PLAYER based rates to controlled currency (AD). You have unlimited "wealth" from nowhere and still not affecting economy in harm way.

May be little "unusuall" at first, but here's the long term reason. They proved it's working in STO so I guess they've decided to implement even AH in it. It's good economic decision. Not sure if it's worth great confusion because people are not able to valuate items correctly as they cannot imagine "how many AD is worth my efford". You know that with gold as you get gold for mobs and quest so you know "the work" behind it. You don't know that about AD unless you are trader by nature and can get accustomized really quicky to dynamic rates. I can tell there are REALLY gaps on AH which can be filled for a LOT of profit. And it's amazing it sometimes works even with 62% loses due to taxes.