test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How do you earn gold?

tomasvettomasvet Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've been playing around for quite some time now doing a bit of this and a bit of that so one could argue I got to level 20 relatively slow, really taking my time selling equipment and searching for treasures and what not.

Once I hit level 20 I had gathered 2 gold and 50 silver and obviously the mounts cost a minimum of 5 gold. Shouldn't I be able to purchase a mount once I hit level 20?

Are the mounts to expensive or is gold to hard to obtain, or am I doing something wrong?

How do you earn your gold?

Thanks
Post edited by tomasvet on

Comments

• Options
    xen1912xen1912 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mounts use to cost 2 gold and 50 silver in closed beta. for now.. you have to wait a bit or buy a mount with zen. or rent a mount. no matter how you play 2 gold is the max you can have by level 20.

• Options
    illuslionilluslion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    at lvl 20 you should have recieve 3 mount tokens i think. wich you can rent mounts for.
    just use your tokens up first. see how far you get in gold then.
    sigunknown2copy-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    justawitnessjustawitness Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is gold even used for? I haven't spent any outside of a few potions.

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • Options
    elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    um, no? They were for 2.5g and almost everyone could reach them quite easily. But they changed after BW4 to 5g so I guess you shouldn't get one (besides those 3x5h borrowing tokens). But money comes faster with higher level. It won't take much longer to get another 2.5g from there. I've got 3.5g on level 20. And it's like 1g/level on 45.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes of course, I forgot to mention you recieve those tokens but temporarely items aren't my favourite kind of items. I suppose I will actually be able to gather some more gold while I'm using temporarely mounts.

I found some blue quality equipment in the big market that I could spend some silvers on. Which was especially nice since I hadn't obtained any head or bracers at that point.
  • Options
    famousamos#6123 famousamos Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What is gold even used for? I haven't spent any outside of a few potions.

There is blue gear you can buy with silver (same currency as gold etc.). I am not sure if it is the best for those levels (doubt it) but it is good. You just go to market square and the vendors have coin icons over their heads and you can buy gear for like 3 silv and 9 silv levels 10 and 15 I believe. It increases as you get higher in lvl of course.
  • Options
    amad0riusamad0rius Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    1.88g on 18 lvl :(
  • Options
    dragonbournedragonbourne Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I got mine at level 26 and that was saving every red cent from level 1 on.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Thinking about it I suppose it's pretty neat when gold is hard to obtain, making the sense of accomplishment much greater once you've gathered a set sum of money rather than reaching a certain level and receiving a reward in form of a eg) mount.

However, is there any quest or event where the main focus is to reward gold rather than experience or anything of that type?

I feel as if I would want to make a fortune rather than questing or doing dungeons and what not, I should have that option.
  • Options
    gama205gama205 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But if you buy stuff with in-game gold you won't use PWE's sw33t overpriced cash shop!
  • Options
    sofademonsofademon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    tomasvet wrote: »
    Thinking about it I suppose it's pretty neat when gold is hard to obtain, making the sense of accomplishment much greater once you've gathered a set sum of money rather than reaching a certain level and receiving a reward in form of a eg) mount.

However, is there any quest or event where the main focus is to reward gold rather than experience or anything of that type?

I feel as if I would want to make a fortune rather than questing or doing dungeons and what not, I should have that option.

Skirmishes supposedly reward money. I have only done the low level ones, and the reward was not exactly overwhelming. I think I got a chest pull of a few silver beyond the loot from the monsters when I did the Black Lake one. If you do one during a Skirmish event hour you get some astral diamonds instead.

On the other hand, you can do black lake at level 8 where monsters usually drop something like 2 copper, so a couple of silver is probably decent pay for that level.
  • Options
    rhazes1rhazes1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    They raised the price so they could see more overpriced mounts from their store.
    I spend all day reading every thread and letting people know this is BETA.
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    from what i guessed, maybe even figured out, cryptic took the gold system from PnP. The quest give you gold and when you're out of quest...
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    syrchsyrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm 28 and have almost 7g. I didn't buy a mount since I bought the pack, but they aren't really that necessary. They are just a minor convenience.

If you don't want to save up, you can always pay real money for one if you really want the convenience.

Gold is a minor currency that so far for me, has little to no use. I can't buy identification scrolls with it, I can't buy any decent gear with it, I can only buy some potions with it (that I have almost a hundred of).

Amassing a fortune in gold, you'll get there since there isn't anything to spend it on besides a mount and the basic crafting items.

Now, amassing a fortune in Astral Diamonds is an option.

You've got to remember there are several different currencies in the game: Copper/Silver/Gold, Astral Diamonds, Seals, and Zen.
  • Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    xen1912 wrote: »
    no matter how you play 2 gold is the max you can have by level 20.

This is simply not true
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    as you level you will have way more gold than you can spend so don't stress. at 40+ it just keeps growing with very little to spend it on, I keep full stacks of kits & potions. they need to add something to do with it like gold to zen or gold to diamonds, or if they have something I've missed it.
  • Options
    sableshrikesableshrike Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There's one unique companion you can't get access to without spending 2 gold, as well.

I scrounged like a madman but finally had enough to pick up my Sellsword at level 16. She's still quite tiny yet, but I can see her doing some solid AoE when maxed. Plus, barbarian chick with a giant sword.

Given the fact the Great Weapon Fighter companion cost gold to obtain, I'd be willing to bet the other companion classes will, too. Druids and Warlocks for 2 gold each, say, when they're finally in.
  • Options
    devilsdozendevilsdozen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Gold is useless. After you got your mount, feel free to spend the rest on potions from vendor. I am 60, and have not found ANY use for it whatsoever apart from potions.
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I have only spent gold on Crafting supplies and kits. And giving guild mates gold... I am level 40 and I have 20 gold. Well 19 now.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    barimen66barimen66 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you buy/sell AD for gold in the AH?

Not sure what the ratio would be but that would be quite interesting, seeing as you can "pray" for AD each hour.