test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Possible Xbox 360 Controller Support Incoming!!

aaronson00aaronson00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have discovered something delightful. :)

If you boot the game with an Xbox 360 controller plugged into your computer you will notice that if you press the Right-stick left and right your character will rotate as if you are doing it with a mouse! After further inspection there are two xinput.dll files in the games directory. For those of you that don't know xinput dlls enable Xbox 360 controller support in games and are used for no other purpose!

Forgive me if this is common knowledge but after a google search I could find nothing on the topic so I thought I would report my findings.

Good day. :)
Post edited by aaronson00 on

Comments

• nomad1506nomad1506 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    Great find!! While Im not sure how well a controller will work with the inventory management as is, I could see myself using it for some giggles to mix up some dungeons and pvp runs :)
  • xvxreaperxvx881xvxreaperxvx881 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Could be a nice addition for sure
    http://www.youtube.com/user/XxShadowCastsxX
    The Shadow Cast Channel - Neverwinter Gameplay
  • lmzyroxlmzyrox Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    How would you get your 360 Controller into the PC..would you need a Wired one? :/
  • ordainedoneordainedone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would prefer to use the x-box controller I have (which I use for a lot of other games on my computer) rather the mouse keyboard. Only because really, it's not like you have to think a lot when it comes to pressing 5 buttons. However, you can always download Keypadder which will do the same thing without controller support.
  • jayfunkedjayfunked Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lmzyrox wrote: »
    How would you get your 360 Controller into the PC..would you need a Wired one? :/

Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.

I like using the controller now with xpadder set up.

I map the HUD buttons and actual map, jump, interact, alt, shift, C and I.

everything else I do with K/M

You can get everthing mapped with xpadder but I like simplicity so I only map what I need during actual active play and revert to keyboard/mouse when it makes sense to.
  • aaronson00aaronson00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jayfunked wrote: »
    Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows.

I like using the controller now with xpadder set up.

I map the HUD buttons and actual map, jump, interact, alt, shift, C and I.

everything else I do with K/M

You can get everthing mapped with xpadder but I like simplicity so I only map what I need during actual active play and revert to keyboard/mouse when it makes sense to.

Nice to see someone else other than me uses Xpadder too. I would like to add that it is worth it to invest in the Xbox 360 Chatpad that you can plug into your controller. Although it doesn't work out of the box, there is a third-party driver available called the chatpad-super-driver. Keep in mind if anyone decides to go for this method, the driver is still in the alpha testing phase so installing the driver is not for the faint of heart and requires a lot of tweaking, but oh is it worth it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the driver ONLY works with wired Xbox 360 controllers. The site mentions that it only works for "Made for Windows" models, but thats not true. My new Xbox 360 version controller works as well.