test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control Wizard Sudden Storm

mrgobgob34mrgobgob34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hey all, I was wondering what you all feel about the spell "Sudden Storm". When I first read this spell's tooltip, I envisioned something way different. Currently to cast this spell, you have to press the keybind twice, which I figured is a little odd, but then there is a delay for the attack to even hit the farther away targets. In my opinion, this skill cant really be used in pvp. The range is lackluster (it only hits like 8-10 ft in front of you), the lighting strikes take way to long to reach their desired impact point, and the double click/line up your shot way to even cast it just seems off to me.

Maybe its just me, but I would much rather see this spell shoot off in front of me, (like chain lighting), and with only one keybind press. In my opinion, once you see the spell your 1st cast, you shouldn't need a little casting zone provided for you to see where the spell will land.

I may be way off on this, but I would still like to hear what you think of this "Spell Storm" build. I hope they add something new to the table soon.
Post edited by mrgobgob34 on

Comments

• Options
    mrgobgob34mrgobgob34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    well I guess no one feels the same :P
  • Options
    monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I have notice with my key 1 skill that I have to press it twice sometimes as well. PUt this in the bug forum please. They need to see it.
  • Options
    kyssumikyssumi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013
    I havent gotten far enough to grab this since live so I am not sure about the double pressing to activate myself but I am sure its a bug.

As for the usefulness of Sudden Storm, in previous betas I found it to be great, but not until higher levels. I found it pretty lackluster when first got it but after obtaining a few more abilities to go along with it it became very useful and easy to use. Some of these are gained a lot earlier now than they were in beta so it may be more useful even sooner now though. It can indeed be hard to use at times due to the way it works but at higher levels running a renegade crit build with tons of AP generation I use Singularity virtually every pull in dungeons and quite frequently solo as well and this makes using Sudden Storm incrediblly easy and useful.

Singularity pulls everything together making it incredibly easy to fire off Sudden Storm and hit everything with it thus dealing more aoe damage thus generating more AP. Pair this with the passive that gives all hits a chance to deal extra shock damage thats even more damage and AP generation, had a blast running this setup during beta. Have to see how much things have changed into live though but it seems it'll still be very viable to run a similiar if nto same setup.
    "Reality is but a figment of our collective imaginations." -N.E.S.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You definitely have to push it twice because the first time brings up your ground target. That isn't a bug, that's how the skill works (just like you have to push singularity twice since you have to aim it first).

As far as its use in PvP I have no idea, since I don't do that. It is pretty amazing in PvE if you line things up right. Just takes a little practice but hits very hard with a very fast refresh.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's intended. It's a cone. First press loads it and lets you aim the cone, you can also run with it loaded like that. You should get a graphic showing the cone path in front of you. Second press releases it.
  • Options
    kuzmaakimovichkuzmaakimovich Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Esc / Options / Gameplayed / General / Location Targeting Activation / On release

Sudden Storm is also bugged and does 99% reduced damage to mobs being sucked in by singularity. Unless it was fixed this patch.
    Viceverza - Premonition (Dragon / Sen'jin)
    Youtube Channel
  • Options
    kittledorfkittledorf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It feels right for me, a bit tricky i guess (hence should do more damage) but works fine. In fact i love it, for me it's the coolest spell in the game, i know my imagination sucks!
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The above tip is correct. You can adjust your preferences so AoE spells go off on trigger release. That will help a little, though the spell is still underwhelming.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The above tip is correct. You can adjust your preferences so AoE spells go off on trigger release. That will help a little, though the spell is still underwhelming.

Is not higher damage and shorter cooldown than chill strike? I keep it in tab slot and it clears trash pretty well. Think there's a feat to add chill as well to it.
  • Options
    taltamirtaltamir Member Posts: 48
    edited June 2013
    mrgobgob34 wrote: »
    Hey all, I was wondering what you all feel about the spell "Sudden Storm". When I first read this spell's tooltip, I envisioned something way different. Currently to cast this spell, you have to press the keybind twice, which I figured is a little odd, but then there is a delay for the attack to even hit the farther away targets. In my opinion, this skill cant really be used in pvp. The range is lackluster (it only hits like 8-10 ft in front of you), the lighting strikes take way to long to reach their desired impact point, and the double click/line up your shot way to even cast it just seems off to me.

Maybe its just me, but I would much rather see this spell shoot off in front of me, (like chain lighting), and with only one keybind press. In my opinion, once you see the spell your 1st cast, you shouldn't need a little casting zone provided for you to see where the spell will land.

I may be way off on this, but I would still like to hear what you think of this "Spell Storm" build. I hope they add something new to the table soon.

I agree. It should have a longer range and be aimed the same way that "Repel" is. Also it needs to lose the 1 second cast duration channeling. If all the above happens then the difference between it and repel become:
    Repel does less damage
    Repel knocks enemies down
    Repel has a much larger AoE.

As it currently is, it barely unusable.
  • Options
    terryclothterrycloth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    novron wrote: »
    Is not higher damage and shorter cooldown than chill strike? I keep it in tab slot and it clears trash pretty well. Think there's a feat to add chill as well to it.

It's a good spell in PvE. One of my favorites after conduit of ice. You can't use it on people while they're getting sucked up by the singularity but it's not too hard to time it so that it hits just after singularity ends but before they can scatter. Uuuusually I switch it out for chill strike in skirmishes and dungeons though because even though CS is lower damage, it's usable from a much longer range.

In PvP it only works against people who are distracted and it's way too easy to get knocked back out of range, or stunned while you're charging it up. I suck at PvP but even I can see it's no good there.
  • Options
    dgfdsdgsgh3dgfdsdgsgh3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    You definitely have to push it twice because the first time brings up your ground target. That isn't a bug, that's how the skill works (just like you have to push singularity twice since you have to aim it first).

As far as its use in PvP I have no idea, since I don't do that. It is pretty amazing in PvE if you line things up right. Just takes a little practice but hits very hard with a very fast refresh.

Absolute rubbish in PvP, you don't want any pure damage abilities in PvP.