test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

No log out to character select? By design or mayor oversight?

tanaris1980tanaris1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
This is especially annoying now with the queues since you have to fully log out in order to switch to an alt.

I hope it was just something that didn't make it in for launch and they are going to patch it in soon. I would like to pray on all my characters without having to log out every time.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers!
Post edited by tanaris1980 on

Comments

• Options
    courtseecourtsee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There IS a log out to char select. When you press ESC select "Log out" instead of "Exit Game"
  • Options
    andervinandervin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    courtsee wrote: »
    There IS a log out to char select. When you press ESC select "Log out" instead of "Exit Game"

That puts you back at the login screen chief.
  • Options
    mawkerymawkery Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That takes you back to the login screen. Not the patcher, but the log in.
    19.jpg
  • Options
    kaskiankaskian Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    But allows you to go to char select, it doesn't close the launcher down
    Kie - Renegade Drow - Wizard | Orion - Half Elf - Cleric | Kia - Tiefling - Rogue
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aremzyaremzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mawkery wrote: »
    That takes you back to the login screen. Not the patcher, but the log in.

you still have to wait in queue afterwards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They don't have it in Champions either. Not sure about STO. Maybe its a limitation of some kind with one of their databases. I would love to have that.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure about STO.

No, Star Trek you can switch characters without going back to the login screen.
  • Options
    ashgan99ashgan99 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah that was a big gripe i had with Champs online -_-
  • Options
    unforgiven80unforgiven80 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's how they get you back in the Q waiting impatiently. They count on our impatience to line their pockets. Take a look at how the CS is designed. They say you can get EVERYTHING in the CS by spending time in game to attempt to avoid the P2win label. Of course they count on you not being patient enough to do that and design little things like this to encourage you to buy from the CS or buy the founders packs.

GREEDY!
  • Options
    archerofbanisharcherofbanish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You are wrong I am sorry to say but you are. That WILL take you to the character selection screen, however, when you are in the character selection screen you are effectively LOGGED OFF the server so when you try to enter the game again you will most likely face a queue again.
  • Options
    proceduralprocedural Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That's how they get you back in the Q waiting impatiently. They count on our impatience to line their pockets. Take a look at how the CS is designed. They say you can get EVERYTHING in the CS by spending time in game to attempt to avoid the P2win label. Of course they count on you not being patient enough to do that and design little things like this to encourage you to buy from the CS or buy the founders packs.

GREEDY!

I... seriously doubt that's the reason. For one, Founders still have to quit to the login screen to change to alts, so I'm not sure what imaginary advantage you think we get. It's just a design oversight. Like the OP said, it was only a minor inconvenience, until queues turned it into a major annoyance.
  • Options
    archerofbanisharcherofbanish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013

GREEDY!
    Well Pay To Win is not Pay to Log In faster...
  • Options
    novakaynnovakayn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013

GREEDY!

Or they could be intentionally bloating the wait queue to see if there is a way to streamline it without adding hardware and throwing money at it. I think that is why it is still in beta and not "officially" launched yet. Not a bad move for a F2P.
  • Options
    zombieelviszombieelvis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    uberguberuberguber Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 110 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The queues combined with the log off to change characters is a total fail. I have to pray every day to keep some coins or something I cant remember the name of. I have 3 characters. That means I have to wait in the queue 3 times a day to pray on each character. I love this game, but that is poor design.
    Noli sinere te ab improbis opprimi
  • Options
    zychriaszychrias Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Most of you are forgetting that when you logout and go to switch characters, each character has the option of which server to play on. So in effect you are required to logoff and leave the server you are currently playing on, before selecting your new character and possibly a new server, because your alt character may be on a different server.
  • Options
    berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I blame Mayor Oversight. Vote Quimby!
    They're not called respect tokens...
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    GREEDY!
    This just in... For profit companies seek profit! Details at 11.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    **** design, poor anticipation and its Cryptic and PWE afterall.
    To be expected.
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They don't have it in Champions either. Not sure about STO. Maybe its a limitation of some kind with one of their databases. I would love to have that.

This I can answer, STO does have a button to drop back to character select, it wasn't there when the game came out and we had to moan like crazy to get it, and it still took 2 years to get it.

So yes, STO does have it, and it has been a great thing to have. :)
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    knightfalz wrote: »
    This just in... For profit companies seek profit! Details at 11.

very well said. They are doing their best to make the game as good as they can as fast as they can because that is in their best interest. I wish that it didn't log you all the way out too but it isn't some secret motive. If they could've done it better at this point they would've and if they can in the future they will.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Come to think of it, half the things we asked for in STO, we were told "it is in development for Neverwinter"... and yet, I do not see them in Neverwinter.... but we got it in STO.... hmmmmm Cryptic not wanting to own up that the players have better ideas than they do you think?? ;) lol
  • Options
    psiwuffpsiwuff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given how all cryptic games do this to my knowledge, it is probably by design. Not necessarily a good move though, imho. I'd rather they let us swap without logging out.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    psiwuff wrote: »
    Given how all cryptic games do this to my knowledge, it is probably by design. Not necessarily a good move though, imho. I'd rather they let us swap without logging out.

Didn't read my above posts did ya :P

"all cryptic games" do not make you exit and log in again ~ STO has an option to drop back to character select.

It's F2P so go try it ;)
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    why oh why did I want to play this...
  • Options
    faiteaccompliifaiteaccomplii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to go to character select too and this was before the q's.
  • Options
    kilirmkilirm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Yes this is mostly annoying. Changing chars in the first week of the game = back to the queue you go.
  • Options
    beaghan1beaghan1 Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bumping this because I would love for it to be changed..
  • Options
    pressexpose1pressexpose1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They did this orifinally with STO too, for over a year. I understand that has now been changed and logout takes you to the character selection screen but I don't know if that's correct. When many people complained about this cryptic claimed it was by design and that it was a matter of security. Something about hacked accounts or unattended accounts that were being used by someone not the account holder having to log back in rather than have easy access to all characters was the concept. The logic totally failed.

It's ridiculous. Logout should take you to character selection and there should be an option to change server on that page whilst there still exist separate servers. logging in again between character swaps is just time consuming, pointless and annoying.
    fs_lastplayed.png
  • Options
    xoran00xoran00 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's ridiculous. Logout should take you to character selection and there should be an option to change server on that page whilst there still exist separate servers. logging in again between character swaps is just time consuming, pointless and annoying.
    Completely agree.