test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The reason customers get angry and other good stuff

vinunleadedvinunleaded Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Most people play PC games as stress relief or as an escape.

Thus, its understandable that when a person works all day and fights traffic to and from work and deals with the stress of their job, that they look forward to their game of choice as relief and release.
So when their game is not available as Neverwinter is atm, they have no where to vent and relieve their stress, except on the chosen games forum.
When people or moderators try to shut them up, it just inflames them more.

Although, its understandable to a large degree that during any type of BETA or even an actual release, that servers will need to be adjusted for capacity and performance, as well as many other reasons, PW really needs to have their programmers conduct quality control on all these un-handled errors that infuriate and confuse customers.
For example, unless you keep up on the games status, you might not notice the little red message saying the servers are down. So when you try to play, you get some inaccurate error message in large font and in the center of the screen that has no bearing on reality or a endless logging in to server message...the result is you come here to vent.
Totally understandable...and in addition the stupid server status light is green!

All of this is lazy programming and lazy administration, it only takes 2 seconds to change these messages or provide proper status, i.e. a red server status light. There is no excuse not to fix these little communication failures and provide a simple accurate one line message. DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE.
Programming 101..handle your errors properly.

Also, why allow people to go thru the meaningless exercise of logging in, only to see error messages that have no bearing on accuracy of the situation.
Just put up ONE message saying DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE, before they try to log in.
Is that so hard?
Doing so will cut down on forum complaints.
Post edited by vinunleaded on

Comments

• Options
    aremzyaremzy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the server status is red before you log in and green after you do.
    also the red message is quite easy to spot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    grekthorangrekthoran Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 68
    edited May 2013
    I agree with a lot of this. I think that patching and trying to get the game to the bearly support the people who are trying to log in, while still keeping only three shards and a queue is just trying to do half a job. I hate that.

Shut it down. Shut it all down. Fix it the right way, with enough shards to support most, if not all of the current population. Then bring it back up. I loathe someone doing their job half way.
  • Options
    aevlomaevlom Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're not a "customer" unless you've bought something.
    If you haven't bought a founder's pack or Zen from the website, you're not a "customer".
  • Options
    archerofbanisharcherofbanish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    grekthoran wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of this. I think that patching and trying to get the game to the bearly support the people who are trying to log in, while still keeping only three shards and a queue is just trying to do half a job. I hate that.

Shut it down. Shut it all down. Fix it the right way, with enough shards to support most, if not all of the current population. Then bring it back up. I loathe someone doing their job half way.
    2 problems, that takes more than 4 hours and it is not free.

What people seem to think is that this is all predictible. IT IS NOT. Every single MMO launch is like this, we just have to be patient and wait a couple of weeks at least until they sort things out.
  • Options
    slashcryslashcry Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    aevlom wrote: »
    If you haven't bought a founder's pack or Zen from the website, you're not a "customer".

Do potential customers not count?
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Well phrased sir. And a legitimate complaint in addition to a well fomulated explanation of why people complain.
    As such, I hope that you can understand that there are always 2 sides to every coin. In this case there are three or even more.

I agree with you, it is understandable that people rage on the forums. It is understandable, but perhaps not condonable.

the suggestion would be to try to see it from as many other perspectives as possible. Those defending the game, those working on the game, and those that want a profit. There are no "bad" sides, just different goals.

But please, unless you actually bought something, you are not a costumer. Apparently humanity still feel the entitlement no matter if they have given something up for that right.

It is called a psychological contract, but usually it takes a while for it to be formalized in the minds of people. However, it seems that the psychological contract associated with games are more general in their approach, viewing all games and game-companies as one. A sort of similarity heuristic, if you will.

The company as such understand that there is little stopping people from being compleate shortsided in their venomous posts. And that is the nature of the internet. There is no mitigating social feed-back in the same sense as we are used to.

But I would pose this question to you. If there are no (or atleast markantly less) mitigating social feed-back on expressed behviour. What does that say about those that rage on forums?

And to those that keep a level head, take heart in that those processes work on you too. And I would state that it says something about you guys as well.

/Nice to see a level-headed post from someone on the rage-side of the fence.
  • Options
    onigerkoonigerko Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    slashcry wrote: »
    Do potential customers not count?

No obviously not, because they totally only want the money they can get right away now and eff the rest.

Seriously though, i hate the whole mentality of 'if you havent bought it, your not a customer'. Companies dont think like that, YOU think like that.

Want to know how most companies think? How can we get those people that arent customers to become them, infact atleast in America once your a customer your treated far worse then a potential customer becuase they want to woo you in.
  • Options
    breathabreatha Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Doing so will cut down on forum complaints.

Thank you Dr. Vinunleaded.

** Aside: You aren't Vin Diesel are you, cause if you are I have +liked you on your facebook page, and I can't wait for the new Riddick movie, not to mention FF. Oh my gosh I hope you're THAT Vin. ;););) **

Anyways, I hear ya. And thanks for not being a troll. I agree that the communications between DEVS and the players could be better. I don't mind your type of venting. I think it's intelligent and meaningful.

However some folks are like: STFU thes game BLOWZZZZZZ

And that kind of whining is not very productive. But your post was. Thank you, I hope they read it, hence I'm bumping.

(Plus on the very low chance that you are Vin Diesel I want to kiss major butt...)
    -Breatha, the fat and sassy Dwarf
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Actually, that's not generally seen as true, from a customer service perspective, especially by a company that offers services with no cost options. Customer service is the most basic of public relations, and is often seen by many as the face of the company, as customer service agents are the persons those seeking support will usually encounter first. Giving non-paying customers quality service is the best way to turn them into paying customers.
  • Options
    breathabreatha Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well phrased sir. And a legitimate complaint in addition to a well fomulated explanation of why people complain.
    As such, I hope that you can understand that there are always 2 sides to every coin. In this case there are three or even more.

I agree with you, it is understandable that people rage on the forums. It is understandable, but perhaps not condonable.

the suggestion would be to try to see it from as many other perspectives as possible. Those defending the game, those working on the game, and those that want a profit. There are no "bad" sides, just different goals.

But please, unless you actually bought something, you are not a costumer. Apparently humanity still feel the entitlement no matter if they have given something up for that right.

It is called a psychological contract, but usually it takes a while for it to be formalized in the minds of people. However, it seems that the psychological contract associated with games are more general in their approach, viewing all games and game-companies as one. A sort of similarity heuristic, if you will.

The company as such understand that there is little stopping people from being compleate shortsided in their venomous posts. And that is the nature of the internet. There is no mitigating social feed-back in the same sense as we are used to.

But I would pose this question to you. If there are no (or atleast markantly less) mitigating social feed-back on expressed behviour. What does that say about those that rage on forums?

And to those that keep a level head, take heart in that those processes work on you too. And I would state that it says something about you guys as well.

/Nice to see a level-headed post from someone on the rage-side of the fence.

Holy heck, I had to quote that entire post again, because I might want to steal it. Jeeze.

In the words of my character, Breatha: 'Oly 'ell, that Drow's brain is fokkin' bigger 'an 'is head'

That might be sexier than even Vin Diesel...

BUT NOT IN A CREEPY WAY!
    -Breatha, the fat and sassy Dwarf
  • Options
    elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OP: you just try to excuse people's attitude that they are centre of the Universe.

People who "get angry" with free game because they "deserve" better... or that somebody else has something better because he paid more... should stay angry outside internet and work on themself instead of wasting their useless time gaming.
  • Options
    pantero44pantero44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013

NOT!!!....The minute you create an account, and download one of the games, "you're a customer", REGARDLESS, if you pay for game options or not.
    Intel Core i7-4790k@4.6GHz/ PNY GTX 770 XLR8 Enthusiast Edition 4GB OC / ASUS Maximus VII HERO / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3-2133-CL11D-16GBXL / SAMSUNG 840 PRO Series 256GB SSD/OCZ Vector Series 120GBx2(Ext.240GB)/SEAGATE ST2000DM001 2TB HHD / Corsair H110 / FSU Aurum CM 750W(Gold) / PHANTEKS Enthoo Pro / HDMI 32" & 22"x1920x1080p / Windows 8.1 / 120mbps/10mbps
  • Options
    spyke2009spyke2009 Member Posts: 674 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    breatha wrote: »
    Thank you Dr. Vinunleaded.

** Aside: You aren't Vin Diesel are you, cause if you are I have +liked you on your facebook page, and I can't wait for the new Riddick movie, not to mention FF. Oh my gosh I hope you're THAT Vin. ;););) **

Anyways, I hear ya. And thanks for not being a troll. I agree that the communications between DEVS and the players could be better. I don't mind your type of venting. I think it's intelligent and meaningful.

However some folks are like: STFU thes game BLOWZZZZZZ

And that kind of whining is not very productive. But your post was. Thank you, I hope they read it, hence I'm bumping.

(Plus on the very low chance that you are Vin Diesel I want to kiss major butt...)

riddickhiijack.jpg

As a side note, Vin diesel is in fact a D&D TTRPG gamer.

the more you know! *rainbow*