test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Neverwinter needs 1 more tanking & healing class

infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Fix the threat issues in the game, both for Guardian Fighters and healing aggro from Devoted Clerics, and then add 2 more classes.

More dps classes would be awsome, but a tank and healer is priority!
"Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
Post edited by infi321 on

Comments

• Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    coming soon to the zen store!
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    I agree with you. But according to people who've datamined the client, there's evidence Archer Ranger and Scourge Warlock are the likely next two classes. Now, that's just hearsay. It may be wrong. But if it's true, neither of those seem likely as tank or healer classes.

Previous dev comments had indicated they don't plan to charge money for new classes - because they're already charging money for character slots, you see. That was just a remark made by Jack Emmert from Cryptic, though, so it may change.
  • Options
    elfkicker5000elfkicker5000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think the game is designed to orbit the Trinity.

And my understanding is that Ranger and Warlock or definitely the next two classes.
    Thanks, Dave and Gary.
  • Options
    mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    that'd be pretty smart to charge char slots but give classes for free. similar revenue, but makes the game more appealing for newcomers.
  • Options
    eseregoneseregon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not a Bard or Druid? Would more interesting, yet I like the Ranger side of a class op.
    :p
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Please don't make a Paladin some kind of a tank when it is eventually released... PLEASE.
    eseregon wrote: »
    Why not a Bard or Druid? Would more interesting, yet I like the Ranger side of a class op.
    Because those aren't core classes in 4'th edition.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    that'd be pretty smart to charge char slots but give classes for free. similar revenue, but makes the game more appealing for newcomers.

That's a big part of it, yeah. The flexibility of the system means you pay for one slot but that just gives you access to one new character class, effectively, unless you reroll.

And if you reroll then you're spending more time in the game faffing about and running across nightmare boxes and the like.

Which means more money in keys and amenities while they earn goodwill through free classes.

It's both ingeniously insidious and amazingly cool from a player perspective.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    eseregon wrote: »

Well Id personally LOVE to see a paladin class, either as tank or healing :)
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    Well Id personally LOVE to see a paladin class, either as tank or healing :)
    Not going to happen, it's not like that in D&D.

Paladin could be off-healer but never a full healer.
  • Options
    acylionacylion Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Because those aren't core classes in 4'th edition.

Bard and Druid weren't in the original 4th Edition Player's Handbook, but did appear in subsequent books. So they could still make it in.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh I'm sure they will eventually, I just meant they probably aren't going to be the first ones.

Personally I'm really hoping for the Battle Cleric, I always liked to play a Cleric but not as a healer :/
  • Options
    ashgan99ashgan99 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

well if that is true the devs didn't do a good job of it (no offense devs) it has all the makings of a trinity. A pure focused tank and a pure focused healer just screams trinity... Only game to somewhat break the mold mostly so far is GW2 from what I've seen.
  • Options
    onigerkoonigerko Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not going to happen, it's not like that in D&D.

Paladin could be off-healer but never a full healer.

Exactly. Most Paladins ive played with in PnP D&D have used their healing abilities on themselves to 'tank' longer. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a real tank in PnP because there isnt aggro. There is a person behind that monster that just might decide not to beat on the Paladin but blast that squishy Wizard in the back.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    onigerko wrote: »
    Exactly. Most Paladins ive played with in PnP D&D have used their healing abilities on themselves to 'tank' longer. Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a real tank in PnP because there isnt aggro. There is a person behind that monster that just might decide not to beat on the Paladin but blast that squishy Wizard in the back.

My paladin with full platemail in baldur gate tanking all dragons would have a word with you.
  • Options
    fifix92fifix92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    infi321 wrote: »
    My paladin with full platemail in baldur gate tanking all dragons would have a word with you.
    You seem to forget what this guy said. PnP (Pen and Paper) refers to the gool ol' D&D, where the GM can be a total d**k-a*s and focus your wizard... :p
    The AI in Baldur's Gate is pretty straightforward, as it tends to focus the first character it sees.
  • Options
    malnivmalniv Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ashgan99 wrote: »
    well if that is true the devs didn't do a good job of it (no offense devs) it has all the makings of a trinity. A pure focused tank and a pure focused healer just screams trinity... Only game to somewhat break the mold mostly so far is GW2 from what I've seen.

Yes...and no. I agree with GW2 breaking the mold, btw, however it seems to me like Neverwinter is not sticking with the trinity exactly. It seems more like they are going with the 4th edition....I guess it would be a quad? Controller, Defender, Striker, and Leader. True, Defender/Tank, Striker/DPS, and Leader/Healer are just renames, but as a 4th ed Controller player I can say that adding in that 4th role makes a huge difference to the balance. Even in DnD 3rd/3.5/Pathfinder as well as 4th, having a good battlefield control toon can completely change the tide of a fight, making healing/off-tanking less important, and making the DM flip the table in frustration (Ah, I miss my heightened/dazing magic missile). Now, I'm not going to claim to know how that will affect end game content in Neverwinter since I've yet to reach it, but I'm hoping for more Control classes in the future to expand on this concept in an action MMO setting.
  • Options
    karremaniakarremania Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    Then why does guardian get tons of skills that add threat, if its not around Trinity?
  • Options
    senorfeeshsenorfeesh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    If this game is attempting to reflect tabletop, then there will be 'tank' and 'healer' classes, but they won't be 100% dedicated. One of the design choices they made with 4e was to move away from Clerics standing at the back, lobbing heals and doing FA else. 'Taunts' in tablestop do actually exist, so a DM choosing NOT to hit the tank (defender) is setting his monsters up for some pain in return (the exact mechanics differ class to class, but as an example, a Guardian Fighter gets a free opportunity attack, whilst a Paladin does automatic Radiant damage).

So I would expect to see Guardian Fighters, Protector Paladins, and maybe in the future even Battleminds or Swordmages all having some kind of threat-gain mechanics (or at least an ability to focus damage upon themselves). Just as I expect any leader classes to come with heals and/or buffs - Warlord and Shaman in our campaigns have always been more about enhancement than healing, so I would expect to see similar in here. Still a Leader class, not necessarily a Healer in the traditional sense.
  • Options
    faeriestormfaeriestorm Member Posts: 460 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    Oh I'm sure they will eventually, I just meant they probably aren't going to be the first ones.

Personally I'm really hoping for the Battle Cleric, I always liked to play a Cleric but not as a healer :/

I have a dps built cleric, she can do alot of damage if you build for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]