test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Theorycraft?! Absolute saddest part of whole experience

trimptrimp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
We're not all 12yo kids that play all day every day and have time to "farm" for things such as respec. This type of presentation in game design is a very poor business deal. Hopefully I am wrong and there is a system I am missing? Or better yet hopefully some third party is making it or already has. Where, for Pete's sake, is the game "info" on this site...or the 'official' wiki that is the saddest excuse for a webpage/site I have seen in 15 years. Even in game, as you level, your paragon skills are hidden from your view. Planning, therefore, is not possible. BUT OH WAIT! That's the plan all along right?! Give everyone no choice at all but to **** up their build, then they HAVE to buy a ridiculously overpriced respec. I'm PERFECTLY content with them not being free or even cheap, but when you give me no way to avoid buying them due to a lack of information presentation...that's when you start pissing people off. Pretty sad bc it's such a simple thing to do and there's absolutely no excuse for it. At least have some subtlety when you're trying to steal people blind...
Post edited by trimp on

Comments

• Options
    phantomlambphantomlamb Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Relax Franky...

It's early. I'm sure the content will come. I don't think your "dollars" are going to waste, are they?
  • Options
    morgensteinnmorgensteinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah 6$ respec is insane.
  • Options
    trimptrimp Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's simply principle. We have goblin 'monster spotlights' but not even basic class info anywhere whatsoever.
  • Options
    romequietusromequietus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Want to repaint my house for free? You can wash my ar afterwards and mow my lawn every week too while you're at it. Why don't you buy me a cup of coffee on the way over from Starbucks too and as a tip, i'll give you a bit of advice: F2P is F2P. You want to resspec but can't afford 6 bucks? OK, here's a little secret:

reroll = respec

Have fun with that while you're painting my house
  • Options
    hexaxehexaxe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    I see alot of people Dismissing those that are complaining about the cost of respecs.

Granted, Cyrptic has to make money but it is a VERY bad idea to force people to pay for a feature that is nearly a necessity. Respeccing adds more fun and experimentation. If I have more fun with a toon, i like it more, i then want to buy cool stuff for my toon, such as mounts.

edit: I am an older gamer with alot of disposable income and I have an email for 15% off zen purchase that is collecting dust in my inbox...why? Ques for guardians and paying for respecs have made me disinterested in spending anymore money on this game for now.

See my point? Cryptic making me feel like i "HAVE" to spend money to enjoy a f2p game means i spend less than making me "WANT" to spend money on a f2p game.
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    If they want.to make money drop the respec cost to like $2 and $30. $2 one time respec, $30 lifetime respecs.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    You're missing the point of the post. Sure I made a side comment about the price, but that's not even the issue. I'm critiquing the DELIBERATE lack of transparency of game info for the sole purpose of forcing people to **** up their builds so that they HAVE to respec.

A MOD made a rather ridiculous comment about comparing this game to D&D in the respect of the finality of your choices. I think that idea is AWESOME! But anyone who has ever played a serious D&D campaign knows very well that the 'pre-roll' planning of your character is the most important and arguably most fun part of the entire thing....looking through pages and books upon books of info to plan out your progress and build.

Give me access to that info and I'd be on board with that concept 110%
  • Options
    sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Besides, my guess is between founders and the in game zen (mostly gambling on nightmare lock boxes) I'd bet they've already covered a large chunk of the development costs...and the game isn't even "released" yet. ;-)
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • Options
    rathenau15rathenau15 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    Not that mention that the 4th edition rules clearly state you can retain one power or feat every level you gain. Why not implement something like that?
  • Options
    deltcoredeltcore Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    hexaxe wrote: »
    Granted, Cyrptic has to make money but it is a VERY bad idea to force people to pay for a feature that is nearly a necessity.

Respecs are in no way a necessity. You think they are because you think your character has to be optimized, but that's an illusion. Neverwinter's character development is so limited that it is impossible to create a gimped character. Can you create one that's less effective? Sure. But gimped? No.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    trimp wrote: »
    You're missing the point of the post. Sure I made a side comment about the price, but that's not even the issue. I'm critiquing the DELIBERATE lack of transparency of game info for the sole purpose of forcing people to **** up their builds so that they HAVE to respec.

A MOD made a rather ridiculous comment about comparing this game to D&D in the respect of the finality of your choices. I think that idea is AWESOME! But anyone who has ever played a serious D&D campaign knows very well that the 'pre-roll' planning of your character is the most important and arguably most fun part of the entire thing....looking through pages and books upon books of info to plan out your progress and build.

Give me access to that info and I'd be on board with that concept 110%

I think you are .mistaken that the lack of info is intentional though. For paragon powers, they will eventually have more than one option so they won't know which one will appear in your tree until you pick a path. The tool tips and info about the specifics of stats and powers are horrible, but that is the case in all MMOs. You always have to go to outside sources to find that info.
  • Options
    balanorzbalanorz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    deltcore wrote: »
    Respecs are in no way a necessity. You think they are because you think your character has to be optimized, but that's an illusion. Neverwinter's character development is so limited that it is impossible to create a gimped character. Can you create one that's less effective? Sure. But gimped? No.

Make a gwf and tell me you cant gimp it. Most of the build options are gimped. You need spe ific info and effort to have them not gimped.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    People who did the closed betas have a better understanding of where they want their L60 to be. Even though most of us only saw L50 ... lol

For those making fresh characters, and as the OP states .. there is jack for info .. people will be forced into a respec or play gimped chars. Its not a wild claim.

Hell they even pulled something I have ever seen before .. removing the class subforums. They were a good source of information and Q&A from beta testers. Not everyone has the patience to wait on responses before taking points from a level either.

There are also pretty polar opposite builds. Some only shone in party, others PvP and others yet as solo. If you want to partake in all of Neverwinter .. there is no ONE build. This is why off specs or minimally PvP secondary specs should be allowed.
  • Options
    hq33hq33 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Neverwinter's character development is so limited that it is impossible to create a gimped character.

Your argument is clear, but while you say respec is not necessary you make the game look bad and shallow.

Now, I have no idea if it is or not ... just for the theory that it isn't infrequent and inaccessable respec options are in the past of MMO gaming for a reason.
    Players who can diversify feel that the game has more depth than it actually does and will retain their interest longer. A prime example might be GW2 where the skills you use at any given point of time are very limited (something that NW seems to share) and reinventing your character to become something new and different takes no effort and has a negligible price.

It is not as much as 'testing' things ... theory craft only needs data mining or good enough in-game information (at least outside the game this seems not the case at this time) and the rest will be math.
    It is more a question of motivating players to purchase vanity and convenience items in the store more frequently because gameplay becomes revitalized when you can play your character differently every other week.

ps: I also posted the question on another thread since I don't know enough about the topic of respec in Neverwinter ... this feature is not available through loot or virtual currency? Or are the means only so outrageously difficult to come by that it's not an option at this point?

pps: I do not understand as to how lack of information in the open beta phase is such a problem. It is not worth the time to release webpages covering every aspect of the game when it might be changed tomorrow. Or is this wise forsight, bordering on certain knowledge, that this subject will not be resolved at launch?
  • Options
    thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think you can truely be gimped, however charging for respecs seems silly, I do not get why they don't give us a 7 or 14 day cooldown respec that can be cleared by paying zen
  • Options
    oogee83oogee83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    respecs only cost like 150k AD as long as you're only respecing feats, it's powers and ability points that cost the $6, and 150k ad is nothing, hit 60, sell a blue or epic from a dungeon and boom, enough to play with feats
  • Options
    hexaxehexaxe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 43
    edited May 2013

I said "nearly" a necessity. But it not for min/maxing so much as wanting to try all 3 paths before deciding which play style i like best.
    Thats a necessity to me, if i only choose one then never respec to try the other specs out is a waste to me after spend so much time on atoon.
  • Options
    pops000pops000 Member Posts: 250 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    thewobey wrote: »
    I don't think you can truely be gimped, however charging for respecs seems silly, I do not get why they don't give us a 7 or 14 day cooldown respec that can be cleared by paying zen

Let's see 200/6 = 33.

Looks like the rabble can screw up a bit more Noble mon.

Enjoy your sparkle spider.
  • Options
    nanteinantei Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    balanorz wrote: »
    This is information that should be provided by the game regardless.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    l1zardo1 wrote: »
    Hell they even pulled something I have ever seen before .. removing the class subforums.

I've seen that a lot recently, but then i play a lot of different mmos. Not sure why the trend is to have one forum for all classes, but it's becoming more and more common.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Oh, and i want to say that if this is like their other games, everyone will get a free respec at certain points
  • Options
    gogolirngogolirn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I totally agree, putting respec for $ destroy one fun activity, theorycrafting and build testing, while punishing mistakes during the learning curve.
    Remove this asap, Cryptic.
  • Options
    misterianusmisterianus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    I've seen that a lot recently, but then i play a lot of different mmos. Not sure why the trend is to have one forum for all classes, but it's becoming more and more common.

It is easier to understand your own class if you have a forum dedicated to your choosen class where you can create topics for your choosen class, instead of having to sift through a forum where 5 different classes makes topics which has nothing to do with the class you play.

It simply makes it easier and faster to theorycraft for everyone.
  • Options
    knoteskadknoteskad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm sorry but anyone who's going to pull out the "IT'S F2P THEY NEED TO MAKE MONEY STFU" card needs to be taken out and be shot.

They don't need to milk people $6 for a SINGLE respec to make money, they're making plenty already for one, and two there are more than enough cases of F2P games that do EXTREMELY well with just vanity items alone.

Simply put, that's the worst excuse you people could ever come up with. Respecs shouldn't be so ridiculously hard to get.

At the very least it should be a CONVENIENCE more than anything, let people run a long/hard dungeon that gives a free respec or something, make it grueling, I remember something like that being in CoH/CoV. Then paying 600 zen for a respec becomes a convenience like everything else and not the only way to get something that's necessary for the game.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    balanorz wrote: »

Ok, wiseguy. Riddle me this:

Great weapon fighter feat: Constitution Focus "increases the effectiveness of constitution by 5/10/15%".

Tell me exactly what that would do, considering all bonuses are at 100 points or 10% on your character.

Yes, this is a trick question, and yes, I've had enough time to test exactly what it does.
  • Options
    therealkyrielltherealkyriell Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    trimp wrote: »
    Even in game, as you level, your paragon skills are hidden from your view. Planning, therefore, is not possible.

But... you CAN see your paragon skills. Also, due to the way the skill tiers are unlocked, you really dont have a lot of planning to do. And frankly, I've looked at the paragon skills for both the cleric and the wizard at the moment, and wont be using either. There is nothing in game that is hidden, and respecs are not really all that necessary. I had a free respec token, and I spent it when my cleric hit level 30 because a skill I had put 2 points in was no longer being used. After filling the required number of points in lower tiers, that respec token ended up taking ONE point out of ONE skill and putting it in another. NOTHING else changed, at level 30.

I will probably "respec" all my characters once they hit 60, and I've played with all the abilities to see which fit my character concept better (I am a roleplayer, not a min/maxer, so concept rules here) but for now I just play the game and have fun.