test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Second Ed AD&D MMO

xixchassitxixxixchassitxix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Just a thought I had, as an old school D&D player.

My biggest concern would probably be class balance, but I think they could work that out. Especially if they left out the Unearthed Arcana...

Any thoughts?
Post edited by xixchassitxix on

Comments

• Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Yes please lets bring back Thac0!
  • Options
    redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I don't think WotC/Hasbro would support an MMO project based on a twice-outdated system

Maybe you should go check the pathfinder mmo
  • Options
    xixchassitxixxixchassitxix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't think WotC/Hasbro would support an MMO project based on a twice-outdated system

Hmm, maybe I will. Thanks for that. Outdated or not, I know it SO well.

LOL

Anyways, thanks again.
  • Options
    steampunkysteampunky Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Would never happen.

Firstly, WotC would never -allow- a 2e game to be made after 4e launched. As it is you shouldn't expect another 4e game to come out after 5e/D&DNext comes out.

If it were to happen? There'd be enough changes to class abilities and spellcasting that it would look more like a 3e/4e game anyway.

-Rachel-
    Great Weapon Fighter tanks? Who are you kidding? Cleric tanks. They draw -all- the aggro.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Pathfinder MMO is planned to be completely unlike the Pathfinder RPG, so wouldn't resemble AD&D any more than Neverwinter does.
  • Options
    mltdwnmltdwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited May 2013

My biggest concern would probably be class balance, but I think they could work that out. Especially if they left out the Unearthed Arcana...

Any thoughts?

AO-Hell still around, and do they still run NWN? :)
  • Options
    novakaynnovakayn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Yes please lets bring back Thac0!

You sir. I commend you for this comment!

The only problem is 2e was pen and paper. 3e and later were best suited for the electronic gaming world. Watered down and simple to use. 2e was so much more about the knowledge appendiums(sp?) and stat keeping that made P&P games so much more about the imagination.
  • Options
    elfkicker5000elfkicker5000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would play that game, but it would never work.

"Yeah, I am a level 5 magic-user..I can cast 5 spells...every 24 hours. I'll wait in the corner."
    Thanks, Dave and Gary.
  • Options
    elfkicker5000elfkicker5000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, Paladins would only be able to carry 10 items- that would be fun to watch actually...
    Thanks, Dave and Gary.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    novakayn wrote: »

The only problem is 2e was pen and paper. 3e and later were best suited for the electronic gaming world. Watered down and simple to use. 2e was so much more about the knowledge appendiums(sp?) and stat keeping that made P&P games so much more about the imagination.
    Bah, if anything 3'rd ed was a simplification of nonsensical stuff - not dumbed down but revised into something that made sense, kinda like when we started to use the metric system (I assume many here are American so they haven't reached that point yet).
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    novakaynnovakayn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    Bah, if anything 3'rd ed was a simplification of nonsensical stuff ...

Some of us actually preferred the nonsensical stuff. Which is why they often referred to us as geeks. Otherwise you can just go out and play craps for Doritos(tm) IMO.

Taking out a piece of paper and writing down a few notes then roll dice for 2 hours was not exciting to me. Researching different items and abilities and combining all of that into a THAC0 was nirvana.
  • Options
    mythxandermythxander Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    FInd yourself a NWN2 Private Shard if you want AD&D 2nd ed .... good fun and good communities.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I'd rather they just go back to 1st Ed, rather than THAC0. 3rd edition was just a morass of modifier after modifier and unnecessary minutia, and a ridiculous shift in focus to map based combat to support the minutia. After the debacle of 3rd edition, I never bothered to look at 4th. I'll take a look at 5th, but based on their recent track record I doubt I'll like what I see from a pnp perspective.
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Some of us actually preferred the nonsensical stuff. Which is why they often referred to us as geeks. Otherwise you can just go out and play craps for Doritos(tm) IMO.
    Then should say that instead of saying 3'rd ed was "watered down", because starting to using uniform and sensible numbers isn't the same as watering something down.
    knightfalz wrote: »
    I never bothered to look at 4th.
    It's pretty much a complete rewrite, from what i can recall from the wizards forum people there never really liked it much, it takes away a lot of class customization and gameplay is very different.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    drogmardrogmar Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Any thoughts?

AD&D SE rules do not translate to mmos very well Hence why there isnt one .Also part of the reason for changes in 4th ED was to simplify and and try to draw a fresher crowd in to the folds alas we are gettin old .