test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Damage in front vs behind enemy

daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
I tested this last night while playing a little, albeit very unscientifically, but I didn't notice a real difference in damage I did to enemies being in front of the or behind them. I was under the assumption that the damage would be different. Now I am still very low level and I didn't do a ton of damage anyway, but still Im curious.

Is there a difference or is the only reason to run around behind is to not get hit......
Post edited by daradal on

Comments

• Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's called Combat Advantage and you have to be hitting in the white area on the circle at their feet. It might not always be available if you're solo (supposed to give combat advantage if you're behind when a tank is holding it in groups, etc).

It definitely makes a difference for me, as I get combat advantage through critting as a control wizard (from my feats).
  • Options
    asheepleasheeple Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There isn't a huge noticible difference at low leves. However, the Trickster gets 2 or 3 feats which improve this. +10% Combat Advantage (from behind) and +9% At-Will's to monsters not targeting you (if you behind them, they're not targeting you). With the base damage bonus (+10%?) It does add up. Not to mention it builds your gague faster as well.

If your not a TR, then I dunno.
  • Options
    daradaldaradal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah Im a GWF......I was playing with a GF last night and trying it. When I played BW3 I would just run into the middle of the group and try to take them head on. It worked, but thats really not what I was supposed to be doing and I blew through a lot of potions. We also didn't have a tank though either then.

I didn't know there was a certain place I had to aim too though. Like I said either way at the bare minimum it helps because I don't get hit as much.
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Really depends on your ability score than buffs CA dmg

With 21+ its a nice boost. and ya, Rogue gets a few feats that increase it.

From what I can tell, the damage icon is different. There is one for crit and one for CA I think.
  • Options
    lawionslawions Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't make a thread (even though 10 days old account). But this thread is relevant enough for fight dynamics that I want to let this be heard:

Timing Guard on Tanks is essential! But for europeans the typical delay to US servers (180-250 ping) makes it only possible to guard way before the attack actually happens, making it more of a play with luck and wasting time in guard position or not simply taking blows. I really think you dev's should try playing a tank in Neverwinter with that latency and see how frustrating it can be.

(I am NOT talking about the heavy lag we had yesterday shortly after launch, but at aforementioned 180-250 ms).