test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question about appearance and armor.

monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I am assuming the reason I am lvl 20 nearly and my armor hasnt changed once even with all the new armor I have acquired and equiped, is because this is open beta or is this going to be the status quo?

Im just getting a little anxious about it as my toons armor is getting so old to look at.
Post edited by monarrch on

Comments

• Options
    saintsvampiresaintsvampire Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26
    edited May 2013
    I agree my purple outfit is really getting dull. :/
  • Options
    shootnlootshootnloot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 35
    edited May 2013
    What class are you playing as? From what I've seen with the GWF (I'm 49 now) the armor does change, but only minutely until you reach a whole new skin (rarely). Look for extra shoulder pads, different armor patterns, etc. Keep in mind that these may have been less obvious if you are playing a TR or a CW.... I think it'd be easier to see changes in the armor because they are more apparent.
  • Options
    monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    shootnloot wrote: »
    What class are you playing as? From what I've seen with the GWF (I'm 49 now) the armor does change, but only minutely until you reach a whole new skin (rarely). Look for extra shoulder pads, different armor patterns, etc. Keep in mind that these may have been less obvious if you are playing a TR or a CW.... I think it'd be easier to see changes in the armor because they are more apparent.

Well if thats the case they need to REALLY fix this. I will jhave never seen such a lack in armor skins in my 8 years of playing MMOs. Thats not good.
  • Options
    elecjesterelecjester Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is a HUGE lack of armor models.

Basically from 1 until 30+ it is possible to wear the same outfit. There are a couple of different models in the 20s that are MINOR changes for the most part and there is a blue drop everyone can get that is marginally different - the problem with these is...

It's INSANELY expensive to alter the appearance of your gear with astral diamonds, and the cost isn't tired by level either. So no one in their right mind is going to pay thousands of diamonds to look pimp @ level 15 because they are just going to have change armor again very soon.

I had a piece of armor that looked better than what I was wearing, but it's stats sucked, so I was going to change my appearance ... saw the cost and was like "F* That!"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    elecjester wrote: »
    There is a HUGE lack of armor models.

Basically from 1 until 30+ it is possible to wear the same outfit. There are a couple of different models in the 20s that are MINOR changes for the most part and there is a blue drop everyone can get that is marginally different - the problem with these is...

It's INSANELY expensive to alter the appearance of your gear with astral diamonds, and the cost isn't tired by level either. So no one in their right mind is going to pay thousands of diamonds to look pimp @ level 15 because they are just going to have change armor again very soon.

I had a piece of armor that looked better than what I was wearing, but it's stats sucked, so I was going to change my appearance ... saw the cost and was like "F* That!"

You can carry pay to win a little to far. If we cant even enjoy different armor skins without needing to pay for it then I think we have ruined a bit of the fun factor for alot of people.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013
    On my GF I found 3 pieces of armour that look different by level 16 mind you the differences are this no shoulder armour, left shoulder armour and right shoulder armour. My Cleric on the other hand I haven't spotted an differences in armour and have hit level 22.

You cant tell what armour got a new skin though as there's no clues until you equip it on your character based on GF armour, as such it possible that we missed some cool armour because it got lame stats on it.
  • Options
    redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    armor changes about every 5-7 levels in my experience. all MMOs give you boring gear in the beginning and progressively nicer as you go, and while NW certainly has fewer armor/weapon skins than you may be expecting, you will get past the boring low level armor eventually!
  • Options
    gama205gama205 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ..unless you're a CW...
    I've seen lvl 30-40 CWs running around with the same ****ing blue vest! Hopefully this get remedied because it is pretty disappointing. I'm rather disappointed with the whole cash shop model at this point. Paying for cool stuff is one thing but $10 for a ****ing bag or $20 for an extra character slot, basics in every MMO, is ridiculous.
  • Options
    astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2013
    Bosses also drop unique looking gear, or you can open cheap boxes bought with trophy items (10 of them) for one of said items. The tower zone has a lot of tribal orc themed gear you can use to style your character. It costs 1-2 pennies worth of AD to transfer the style of an item onto another.
  • Options
    alexeraalexera Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gama205 wrote: »
    ..unless you're a CW...
    I've seen lvl 30-40 CWs running around with the same ****ing blue vest! Hopefully this get remedied because it is pretty disappointing. I'm rather disappointed with the whole cash shop model at this point. Paying for cool stuff is one thing but $10 for a ****ing bag or $20 for an extra character slot, basics in every MMO, is ridiculous.

Um.....you get 2 character slots for 5 bucks. Its 500 Zen, for 2. Which 100 zen = 1 dollar.
  • Options
    redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    ..unless you're a CW...

I'm fairly happy with my armor for my lvl 35 cleric, although in closed beta i used the AH to buy a much higher level armor and alter appearance, and with a little blue dye I made a gorgeous gold/blue chain tunic.

extra character slots are worth two bucks and 50 cents (they come as 2 for $5) so you don't have a leg to stand on to declare they cost $20. you can also have infinity character slots for free if you roll a new account. You pay the $5 for the convenience of having extra slots. Bags are a different story but you get a few large bags for free as you level up, I'm ok with the bag space.
  • Options
    xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    monarrch wrote: »
    Well if thats the case they need to REALLY fix this. I will jhave never seen such a lack in armor skins in my 8 years of playing MMOs. Thats not good.

You'll be playing your character from 1-59 for about... I dunno, 30-40 hours? It's the end-game skins that matter, although I personally don't know how well those stack up yet.
  • Options
    alexeraalexera Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Also, they push the dyes heavily, I think. Im not sure if you can get any in game, or if they are all cash shop, but even the ones I saw in the cash shop were fairly cheap, like a bundle for 3 bucks. Ive seen some people whose armor is exactly like mine, but it looks outstanding and completely different because they dyed it.
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    monarrch wrote: »
    You can carry pay to win a little to far. If we cant even enjoy different armor skins without needing to pay for it then I think we have ruined a bit of the fun factor for alot of people.

they've pretty much ****ed that up from the get go.
    Everything cosmetic is based on the zenshop and dyes aren't mob drops.
    Hell if the keys to those accursed chests arent mobs drops what chance do we have of cosmetic vanity items dropping...

Also having no preview feature severely hurts the game on top of the greed.
  • Options
    gama205gama205 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    extra character slots are worth two bucks and 50 cents (they come as 2 for $5) so you don't have a leg to stand on to declare they cost $20
    Sorry I couldnt verify the price as I've been queueing for 2+ hours. My bad :rolleyes:
    Still character slots should at least be given 3-4 slots be default. There is no point in starting with only two char slots except as a ploy to make players buy more.
  • Options
    thezarzethezarze Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Sorry I couldnt verify the price as I've been queueing for 2+ hours. My bad :rolleyes:
    +1
  • Options
    bradspittsbradspitts Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    We need some different looking armors for all the classes, instead of these small cosmetic changes every 2 levels or so. WoW does this better, you don't have to compete or copy, just give us more choices and some rares along the way. Let us pick and choose what to wear, after all we are role-playing.

I'm tired of wearing stuff due to the stats. How come these pants alow me to critically hit more? Why do these allow me to recover more? And how do these allow me to steal health again? I miss the days when armor was just armor for defense and resists from slashing, blunt or piercing depending on what kind of armor it was. Nowadays we have these kids and their magic armor! :D jk...

Great game for questing and interacting though!!!
  • Options
    sandglass77sandglass77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'd love to hear a dev response to this, or get a link to one. As a control wizard, I've been looking pretty **** stupid for 38 levels now. So, almost two-thirds to the lvl cap in the same armor? The word...unacceptable comes to mind.

This needs to be addressed, for sure. It's one of those things that is dangerous if overlooked, since it makes the game feel cheap and simple. Dye needs to drop from enemies, and yeah, armor skins...we need more.

Like hundreds more.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kotli wrote: »
    You cant tell what armour got a new skin though as there's no clues until you equip it on your character based on GF armour, as such it possible that we missed some cool armour because it got lame stats on it.

Well, there is a way. Once you've identified an armor, right click on it and pick "Change Appearance." (you can do this without the item becoming bound). That'll let you see what it looks like.

And yeah - the armor is very similar over large level differences. But there is a good bit of minor variations - assymetrical left, asymetrical right, symmetric, loincloth or not, different combos of left & right hip pads & shoulder pads, sleeve trim or not, etc. Yeah, in the end it still looks "the same", but if you've been switching your armor every level, you've probably worn a number of different versions of it. (now, I'm not agreeing with this - I, personally, would love to have more really different models. Just had to point out that there's more small changes happening than some of you may have seen.)
  • Options
    mrfappmeistermrfappmeister Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    True that equipment apperance are few and dull. Best gear appearance system so far what i know and tried is in SWTOR. Now they have a cash shop too, the interesting thing there that you can buy a lot of different looking gear, even ones that legendary heroes wore, like Revan's mask. The most clever part is that swtor uses a typical armor system(light, medium, heavy) classes restricted like you are a trooper you would wear heavy armor . So the extra cash shop armors are labelled as adaptive so give each class the armor bonus as would the 'class armor'. Each armor what im talking about(cash shop & ingame loot) are upgradable, so if you like an armor at lower lvl(you got these upgradeable gear early, around lvl 10 in, max lvl 55) you can keep it forever, even put the max lvl set upgrades into them, so youll get all set bonuses, but still wearing the armor you like.
    I hope everyone understands it who didnt played the game.
    So someting similar would be nice in NW, and it would boost the cash shop's income very much too. (Since im sure there are a lot of notable persons in nw whom gear you'd like to wear:) ) Also it isplaying a big part in create the unique character feeling, which i personally like very much, when you can say, "Yes, this is my hero", and individual, not just rogue866 in the t1 set everyone wearing at lvl60(or true to lower lvl stuff like the bloodscar armor).