test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First play impressions

jargoylejargoyle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok, got my first run at this game today.
I got to lvl 9 on a halfling rogue. Skill points in the tree don't feel like you have to make a choice of what, just when.
Graphics are fine, animations underwhelming, sound bearable. Difficulty is what scares me the most. This is the most hand holding game I have ever played. I never was in danger of dying in 9 lvls.
Game was very stable. Very few graphical hiccups, did crash on me at end.
I'm not great a spelling, however there is a very early quest where they misspell Lord Neverwinter. On the launcher Gungeons and dragons. Screams of quality.
Combat would be fun if I thought I might die. the biggest challenge is not going to the number keys to trigger skills.
Overall I give the game session a 6 out of 10. This is based on my very limited play time. Not the score of the overall product, just my first impression.
I would have gave it a 7 but i woke up on a beach. If I walked the other way I think I would end up in Eberron. DDo starts you off not only the same way, but I think the same beach!
Thank you to the helpful people in game :)
Till next time
Regards
Post edited by jargoyle on

Comments

• lauro86lauro86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Game is Hand Held ONLY in lowers level also keep in mind once you get pass level 11 it get somewhat difficult :) and some instance/bosses are amazing, this is coming from someone who play close Beta
  • xvxreaperxvx881xvxreaperxvx881 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i think you should have waited to give a impression. "omg the tutorial and starting zone is so easy!" so.. you need to play the game more.

This is one of the most difficult mmo's ive played in a long time.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/XxShadowCastsxX
    The Shadow Cast Channel - Neverwinter Gameplay
  • buffbc1buffbc1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13
    edited May 2013
    Definitely gets harder once you are into the teens and especially 20's. I didn't die once until lvl 25 with some careful potioning and such as a Control Wizard. I love the challenge now that I am used to the game and controls, etc. I would get at least lvl 20 before giving the game a rating, but that is just my opinion.
  • rukurairukurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, when you hit about 11 or 12 it starts getting harder. When you hit 18 or 19 it's getting difficult. And my son and I are playing together at 26, so if that tells you anything, lol. We have a rogue and a great weapon fighter. It's going to get rougher.
    Where I sit, Nightingales sing on a Shooting Star, Spirits in the Leaves sink and rise,
    The Fish leap the Dancing Rocks In the Tumult of a Sacred River, Forests spring ancient as Hills.
  • powersoulpowersoul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good to hear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randomzanerandomzane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    On top of that rogues are a bit OP in my opinion and you pretty much melt anything you come up against for quite a while. Just ran a level 25 instance (at level 26, about on par with the rest of the group) and my rogue did about 20% more damage than the next highest person and killed 50% more mobs than the next highest person. I didn't have awesome gear and wasn't trying to top the charts either.

I've also played a Control Wizard to the late teens and they're much squishier and do much less damage than rogues do. Great Weapon Fighters do quite a bit less damage as well (at least up to the 20's, not sure about later) but they can take more damage.

Even as a rogue if you're soloing you will eventually start leaning on healing potions more and more.
  • kilobiterkilobiter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I waited for open beta to play. After dealing with patching and lag issues(which were to be expected), the game really impressed me. I played DDO and liked it, but the combat here is more fun and engaging. I think they translated the 4ed powers into the MMO setting nicely. I don't think we could have asked for more in a D&D F2P game. I truly don't think I would have been disappointed even if this had been P2P. Plus I am greatful that my 4 year old laptop(I'm working overseas in Baghdad) can run the game smoothly without turning the graphics all the way down. Great job so far, Cryptic.

Let's also not forget...this is still in beta.
    Shenilie Shadowfoot
    Rogues - So you won't set off every trap in the dungeon.....
  • drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jargoyle wrote: »
    Ok, got my first run at this game today.
    I got to lvl 9 on a halfling rogue. Skill points in the tree don't feel like you have to make a choice of what, just when.
    Graphics are fine, animations underwhelming, sound bearable. Difficulty is what scares me the most. This is the most hand holding game I have ever played. I never was in danger of dying in 9 lvls.
    Game was very stable. Very few graphical hiccups, did crash on me at end.
    I'm not great a spelling, however there is a very early quest where they misspell Lord Neverwinter. On the launcher Gungeons and dragons. Screams of quality.
    Combat would be fun if I thought I might die. the biggest challenge is not going to the number keys to trigger skills.
    Overall I give the game session a 6 out of 10. This is based on my very limited play time. Not the score of the overall product, just my first impression.
    I would have gave it a 7 but i woke up on a beach. If I walked the other way I think I would end up in Eberron. DDo starts you off not only the same way, but I think the same beach!
    Thank you to the helpful people in game :)
    Till next time
    Regards

No danger of death? Try some of the UGC content from the foundry, people have been saying the last boss fights in my campaign have been rather tough.
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • kidjalkidjal Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kilobiter wrote: »
    I waited for open beta to play. After dealing with patching and lag issues(which were to be expected), the game really impressed me. I played DDO and liked it, but the combat here is more fun and engaging. I think they translated the 4ed powers into the MMO setting nicely. I don't think we could have asked for more in a D&D F2P game. I truly don't think I would have been disappointed even if this had been P2P. Plus I am greatful that my 4 year old laptop(I'm working overseas in Baghdad) can run the game smoothly without turning the graphics all the way down. Great job so far, Cryptic.

Let's also not forget...this is still in beta.

Agreed...aside from launch problem, the queuing and complaining players here and there, this game is overall good IMO...i give this game 7/10...cheers.
  • quovanquovan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    jargoyle wrote: »
    I'm not great a spelling, however there is a very early quest where they misspell Lord Neverwinter.
    Just so you don't get the wrong impression, they didn't misspell that. His name actually IS Lord Neverember.
  • rukurairukurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    randomzane wrote: »
    On top of that rogues are a bit OP in my opinion and you pretty much melt anything you come up against for quite a while. Just ran a level 25 instance (at level 26, about on par with the rest of the group) and my rogue did about 20% more damage than the next highest person and killed 50% more mobs than the next highest person. I didn't have awesome gear and wasn't trying to top the charts either.

I've also played a Control Wizard to the late teens and they're much squishier and do much less damage than rogues do. Great Weapon Fighters do quite a bit less damage as well (at least up to the 20's, not sure about later) but they can take more damage.

Even as a rogue if you're soloing you will eventually start leaning on healing potions more and more.

Healing pots or the companion you can get that is a healer. That's what I was doing when I was solo, though I had plenty of potions drop. I've not tried the control wizard yet, but I plan to. In the closed betas I tried a rogue, a guardian and a great weapon and liked those quite a bit. Sort of waiting to see what happens cause I really like the rogue.
    Where I sit, Nightingales sing on a Shooting Star, Spirits in the Leaves sink and rise,
    The Fish leap the Dancing Rocks In the Tumult of a Sacred River, Forests spring ancient as Hills.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Level 20 TR and didnt even think of summoning my companion once.
    Combat's been a pain for me only because of lag/rubberbanding which I have a feeling will not improve.
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    Level 20 TR and didnt even think of summoning my companion once.
    Combat's been a pain for me only because of lag/rubberbanding which I have a feeling will not improve.

It actually has.

You lose, negative nancy. :)
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    It actually has.

You lose, negative nancy. :)

$200 bucks says I'll prove you wrong.
  • l1d3nl1d3n Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 385 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    It's taking me sometime to get used to the movement in this game. I'm enjoying it but one thing GW2 got right is the fluid movement during battle.
  • oreoz2573oreoz2573 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    thevlaka wrote: »
    $200 bucks says I'll prove you wrong.

I guess you owe me 200 bucks then since the servers are running fine.

You must have a bad connection.

I on the other hand went from 1300 ping to about 100 after the patch sooooo.....
    "If you're going through Hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ssjrrssjrr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    oreoz2573 wrote: »
    I guess you owe me 200 bucks then since the servers are running fine.

You must have a bad connection.

I on the other hand went from 1300 ping to about 100 after the patch sooooo.....

The bet was on whether or not he'd still have issues, not what the issues were from.

So basically he can sabotage his own connection and he wins the bet.
  • kilobiterkilobiter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    My lag issues were short lived last night. After a while the game ran fine, even on my mediocre connection here in Baghdad.
    Shenilie Shadowfoot
    Rogues - So you won't set off every trap in the dungeon.....
  • jargoylejargoyle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "i think you should have waited to give a impression. "omg the tutorial and starting zone is so easy!" so.. you need to play the game more."
    Then it would not be a first impression now would it?
    I am glad to hear it gets harder. I want to like it. Games still in beta, I am just giving my honest feedback.
  • jargoylejargoyle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "Just so you don't get the wrong impression, they didn't misspell that. His name actually IS Lord Neverember."
    Thank you. I did have the wrong impression there.