test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GF "Shield Defense"

kirbstylekirbstyle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Old time WoW player here as well as various other mmo's going back to UO online and I'm used to the character sheet displaying changes. I'm making a tanky Guardian Fighter but am currently confused. The Protector part of the paragon tree has an ability called "Shield Defense" which says, "Gain 1/2/3/4/5 to AC." I would assume based on level. Which is displayed on my character sheet as 27. Which did not change at all once I put a point into it. Is this a bug or are the points I put into this ability just hidden numbers somewhere I don't see?
Post edited by kirbstyle on

Comments

• Options
    mattkrueg1mattkrueg1 Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2013
    I'm new, but the plus to AC should automatically be calculated in your character sheet. Likely it was overlooked and will display in character sheet at a later date. You could always let a mob hit you and then check your combat log. If combat log displays the NPC rolled your AC, then it should be a hit. If Neverwinter actually follows Dungeons and Dragons rules, then damage done will be calculated separately. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that an NPC rolling your character's AC still hits you. Seriously, correct me if I'm wrong because this whole thing could be wrong if I'm wrong on NPC attack roll vs PC AC.

So:
    1. Open combat log
    2. Allow NPC to attack you
    3. See what NPC attack roll is on successful hit
    4. Do a bit of math to see if Shield Defense bonus is calculated in. IE: 27 should be 28 if +1 from Shield Defense.

If NPC hits on 27, then Shield Defense isn't calculating, if NPC doesn't hit on 27, then it IS calculating. All assuming that you put only one point in Shield Defense.
    TEMPUS
  • Options
    neppanaattorineppanaattori Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    AC is an 'ancient' Dungeons & Dragons acronym for Armor Class :)
    Your Armor Class (AC) represents how hard it is for opponents to land a solid, damaging blow on you. It’s the attack roll result that an opponent needs to achieve to hit you.
  • Options
    prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Neverwinter does not use DnD mechanics for hitting.

I believe your AC contributes to damage reduction. Many feats do not currently show their effects on your character sheet, so I wouldn't worry too much about that right now.
  • Options
    unjustbladeunjustblade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 91
    edited April 2013
    kirbstyle wrote: »
    Old time WoW player here as well as various other mmo's going back to UO online and I'm used to the character sheet displaying changes. I'm making a tanky Guardian Fighter but am currently confused. The Protector part of the paragon tree has an ability called "Shield Defense" which says, "Gain 1/2/3/4/5 to AC." I would assume based on level. Which is displayed on my character sheet as 27. Which did not change at all once I put a point into it. Is this a bug or are the points I put into this ability just hidden numbers somewhere I don't see?

You do realize you spent five points for an extra 2.5% damage reduction, right?