test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What a BETA used to mean and what BETA means now

vinunleadedvinunleaded Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
A BETA is:

A test for a computer product prior to commercial release. Beta testing is the last stage of testing, and normally can involve sending the product to beta test sites outside the company for real-world exposure or offering the product for a free trial download over the Internet. Beta testing is often preceded by a round of testing called alpha testing.

Back in the day, no one except hired BETA testers could test a game before release. But then as PC Gaming rose in popularity, many games offered BETA sign ups. The average players chance of being selected was slim. With the creation of MMORPGs, it soon became apparent, that no amount of hired or volunteer BETA testers could efficiently prepare most PC games and especially MMORPGs for launch. In fact, every AAA MMORPG title has experienced tons of bugs and issues even several years after release. In fact, some games and especially MMORPGs have such issues until the day they shut down.

As time went on it became easier and easier to get into BETA testing for PC games including MMORPGs. This allowed better BETA testing, since the more testers meant the more accurately the testing environment could simulate release. Especially when it came to server capacity and performance. Unfortunately, more BETA testers did not mean better releases. In fact, regardless of how many more BETA testers were testing MMORPGs, each release was either just as bad as previous MMORPG releases or worse.

In recent times, some marketing zoot suit got the idea to allow pre-order customers into something called "Open BETA" testing, which in the past was usually the last stage of BETA testing and used for server performance and capacity planning and performance testing. Again, the increase in BETA testers as a result of adding 100's of thousands of pre-order customers to Open BETA testing did not result in better releases with less bugs and peformance issues. MMOs were just as buggy as before and release days were just as bad.

The question comes to mind "what are these BETA testers actually doing"? It would seem that since each release of a new MMO is not better than the one prior, that adding BETA testers doesnot have much of a positive impact. In fact, anyone who complains during any type of BETA will be reminded that indeed this is a BETA, so STFU and report bugs and get off the forums.

Unfortunately, once a customer "pays money" for a pre-order and is allowed access to a BETA, especially one with fully operational cash shops, the game is no longer treated as a BETA, but as a release. It does not matter what the intent was...the reality is that Pre-Order customers in any type of BETA especially Open BETAs are going to complain and treat the Open BETA as an actual release. If you read any advertisement, FAQ, etc etc of what BETA testing is as a result of a pre-order for any MMORPG, you will see why Pre-Order customers treat BETA's as releases. The same goes for non pre-order customers in an open BETA.

You reap what you sow, and unfortunately a game like Neverwinter, will suffer just like all other MMORPGs due to mis-managed BETAs and releases. For first impressions die hard in the MMO industry. It is rare for any MMORPG that starts out bad to recover. The only MMORPGs which defy this sad fact is World of Warcraft and EVE Online.

The rest of the MMORPGs do not recover and its downhill from there.

In order to stem the flow of this annoying trend, it is my humble opinion that MMORPG makers emphasize the BETA testing and not the pre-order goodies you get in BETA testing, i.e. they need to stop blurring the line between BETA testing and release. But that will not happen...

As long as cash flows in early and fast into MMORPGs via pre-orders with Open BETA access, the more the line will blur and the more the MMORPG will suffer from adverse issues, and thus be reflected in the gaming press, forums and elsewhere. In fact, the latest trend is to get into Alpha testing via pre-ordering or even worse...paying for early access into an Alpha....to see this just go to STEAM with its Greenlight section of games to BUY and PLAY......in Alpha state.

Want to bet this will be the next trend in MMOs....we will be paying to pre-order and play triple A title MMORPGs in ALPHA state....and also as we are seeing now also on Steam is to just pay for Alpha games....the word TESTING is no where to be found.

So the next time you Pay for a Pre-order adn play in so called Open BETA, just remember....its not really a BETA, its an early release you paid to be a part of....and if anyone complains, you will be reminded that ITS A BETA....but it really is not.....
Post edited by vinunleaded on

Comments

• Options
    layonhandslayonhands Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think open beta is an excellent idea, especially for stress tests and bug fixes. You can only do so much in a closed environment. It also gets the money coming in for future production and shows the company it's worth their time to keep it up and running.
    Your divine touch instantly heals wounds.
  • Options
    imountaindewimountaindew Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    TLDR lel.
  • Options
    andervinandervin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    This is a soft release. They have tonight and maybe tomorrow night to retain most of the people that might play this game. How they handle the next 36hrs will determine the overall success of this game. PERIOD.
  • Options
    auskylerauskyler Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    true *golf clap*
  • Options
    margulismargulis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Staying in open beta just always gives the excuse for things that aren't working right. "oh it's still in beta." BS, any game going that won't wipe anymore and has the cash shop in place has LAUNCHED. I don't care what they call it.
  • Options
    welly321welly321 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This game is so bad that it doewsnt matter. Id go into more detail but its not worth the effort. I cant believe people are seriously trying to convince themselves this is a good game.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I had an idea for a T-shirt once. It said:
    "In capitalist America, YOU pay for BETA!!" (front)
    "Neverwinter Online" logo (on back).

I had another idea, too:
    "I spent $1000 opening lockboxes in Neverwinter Online, and all I got was this stupid shirt!"
  • Options
    tanerastaneras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    andervin wrote: »
    This is a soft release. They have tonight and maybe tomorrow night to retain most of the people that might play this game. How they handle the next 36hrs will determine the overall success of this game. PERIOD.

Pretty sure WoW had some pretty serious launch issues, and they turned out to be the top MMO for years and years. Perhaps you think that giant period at the end of your posts somehow lends it more credibility, but it doesn't.

They have more time than just 24-36 hours to fix this without killing the game.
  • Options
    tsprotspro Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    indeed this is a BETA, so STFU and report bugs and get off the forums.

Guild Wars 2 took this approach and is thriving, in my mind, the point you're trying to make is moot. There is no harm in allowing your excited community some early time on your game that you worked so hard to make and want to be appreciated. If I developed a successful game I would allow people to play it early, especially if they where so kind as to donate money to me while it was in development!
  • Options
    auskylerauskyler Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just hope the kids go to bed soon so us old people can try this out now that we are off work

ohhh only 2000 more
  • Options
    vinunleadedvinunleaded Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    It can be a fun game for most. However, as many posters are saying is true, i.e. once you start taking money from customers for early access and have fully operational cash shops, it doesnt matter what they call it - BETA, Open BETA, Soft BETA, Hard BETA...
    It is a release once the money is taken, access is open, and cash shops are operating.

As some posters have also stated, it does seem that the whole pre-order and Open BETA nonsense is indeed to provide excuses for poor launches.

What is funny, is how most MMORPGs always in some way shape or form try to copy WoW. But the ONE THING they do not copy from and should, is how WoW back in the day when it released, was able to overcome a BAD release launch...none of this Open BETA soft BETA BS...WoW had a bad launch, but overcame it with what was a great game at the time, offering much more than what bland old Everquest had become (we thought it was the end all in 1998 LOL)...and it was even missing features!

Design a fun game first, and design your business model second...instead of the opposite.
  • Options
    shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Fact. People can get pissy and emotional and rage about how the first day was way over-crowded, but you won't quit. even if they equip your toon with a giant ****ing <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you'll still play. Cause you have absolutely nothing better to do with your life.
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • Options
    welly321welly321 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It can be a fun game for most. However, as many posters are saying is true, i.e. once you start taking money from customers for early access and have fully operational cash shops, it doesnt matter what they call it - BETA, Open BETA, Soft BETA, Hard BETA...
    It is a release once the money is taken, access is open, and cash shops are operating.

As some posters have also stated, it does seem that the whole pre-order and Open BETA nonsense is indeed to provide excuses for poor launches.

What is funny, is how most MMORPGs always in some way shape or form try to copy WoW. But the ONE THING they do not copy from and should, is how WoW back in the day when it released, was able to overcome a BAD release launch...none of this Open BETA soft BETA BS...WoW had a bad launch, but overcame it with what was a great game at the time, offering much more than what bland old Everquest had become (we thought it was the end all in 1998 LOL)...and it was even missing features!

Design a fun game first, and design your business model second...instead of the opposite.

Nice post. Launch issues can easily be overcome if your game is good. If the game is bad, its going to fail whether or not the launch is good. And this game will fail.... so disappointed they butchered the neverwinter IP.
  • Options
    cabled12cabled12 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taneras wrote: »
    Pretty sure WoW had some pretty serious launch issues, and they turned out to be the top MMO for years and years. Perhaps you think that giant period at the end of your posts somehow lends it more credibility, but it doesn't.

They have more time than just 24-36 hours to fix this without killing the game.

Wow launched in a near perfect storm environment that will probably never exist again. If Wow was launching today as it launched when it did, with nothing but updated graphics, it would probably fail.
  • Options
    tanerastaneras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cabled12 wrote: »
    Wow launched in a near perfect storm environment that will probably never exist again. If Wow was launching today as it launched when it did, with nothing but updated graphics, it would probably fail.

How did you come to this conclusion?
  • Options
    andervinandervin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 35
    edited April 2013
    Fact. People can get pissy and emotional and rage about how the first day was way over-crowded, but you won't quit. even if they equip your toon with a giant ****ing <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you'll still play. Cause you have absolutely nothing better to do with your life.

Now if the guardian pack had come with a huge <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... I'd be one happy camper. :D /wiggle
  • Options
    tyriatyria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    Most "Beta"s nowadays are pre-release runs of the MMO given to a wide range of people to get a general feel for how well the client is running on various machine configurations in a real-world environment. ALL of the development has ALREADY been done. Only minor things are changed from the point of 'beta' into release.

A TRUE Beta is closer to what is currently happening with FireFall. It is a TRUE beta in that massive changes are STILL being made to the game as well as its gameplay based on player feedback., all while under 'beta'.
  • Options
    shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Now if the guardian pack had come with a huge <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>... I'd be one happy camper. :D /wiggle

I won't lie if I could duel wield <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'s on my rogue i'd do nothing but pvp.

AND I'd need a mustache
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • Options
    tyriatyria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited April 2013
    I won't lie if I could duel wield <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>'s on my rogue i'd do nothing but pvp.

AND I'd need a mustache

extra points if its a female with a mustache :p
  • Options
    eliseren1tyeliseren1ty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    welly321 wrote: »
    This game is so bad that it doewsnt matter. Id go into more detail but its not worth the effort. I cant believe people are seriously trying to convince themselves this is a good game.

This ^

First time I ever logged into a game on the day of release and fell asleep.
    // here be dragons
    CRect HAMSTER; // darn near killed'em
    my $search_key = $something_else;
    foreach (keys %some_hash) {
    if ($_ eq $search_key) {
    do_something($_);
    }
    else();
    }
    locked by NullUserException
  • Options
    thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This ^

First time I ever logged into a game on the day of release and fell asleep.

is it the constant running up and down the place or the redundant currency in game which serves just as a petty buffer between the AD and Zen barrage or is it the Admin spamming us every few minutes So and So has received a nightmare pony or is it how every area is instanced or how you can't do squat without either massive grinding or paying for zen OR how PWE p2w philosophy has spread its corrupting claws already? If you can buy end game gear because it's all BoE i dont see the point to playing anymore, do you?
  • Options
    thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    welly321 wrote: »

You have absolutely no taste in games if you think this game is terrible.
    I usually don't bash opinions, but this is ridiculous. This game sure has it's issues, as do all games, but it's certainly not a bad game. It's one of the best MMORPGs I've ever played. Top 3 for sure.
  • Options
    fidalindidalinfidalindidalin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think people are forgetting the draw of the Foundry to old school pen-and-paper AD&D roleplayers. Yes, this is bascally the same engine as STO (even the lanchers share the same cache, I have one account for NWN and one for STO and I have to keep changing the account when I play the other game first).

I'm enjoying it at the moment, but I can see that they've just used the same engine over again, with some tweaks. A tad lazy really.